Beckham Signs $250 Million Dollar Contract to come to L.A. Galaxy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tell u this ....... U know when football will get big in the US , when people start calling it Football ....... Get another name for that another sport ......

I Mean Not beginnin a discussion here , but a guy runnin and protecting his ball with arm = football ??? :|

Not sure if u remember , Fifa goes for Federation International of Football Association

Btw besides this Major League , is there any Champions league there ? Somethin like joinin Canadian and Mexican teams or something like ? A International competition ?

Last edited:
J_NP said:
Tell u this ....... U know when football will get big in the US , when people start calling it Football ....... Get another name for that another sport ......

I Mean Not beginnin a discussion here , but a guy runnin and protecting his ball with arm = football ??? :|

Not sure if u remember , Fifa goes for Federation Internation of Football Association

Btw besides this Major League , is there any Champions league there ? Somethin like joinin Canadian and Mexican teams or something like ? A International competition ?

Well, when the sport was first invented in England it was called "soccer", as a contraction for "association football". I am not sure, but I think snobby English types started calling it "football" once Americans picked up on it.

And I have no idea why MLS teams don't compete against other club teams in Mexico and South America.

toscano said:

Well, having been in China during a major soccer tournament, (EURO 2000) I can tell you it certainly DOES capture the local interest and is extremely popular, lots of huddling around TV's on flatbed trucks in the middle of Shanghai in the wee hours, lotsall games live on TV, etc. Why would you say it's not very popular there ? Same in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Korea, etc.

India ? Cricket fanatics. The european colonialism certainly left it's mark big-time. For whatever reason they took to it a lot more so than soccer.
This map seems to indicate that soccer is less popular in China than it is in the US, at least when measured by participation. It may be popular as a spectator sport in a major city like Shanghai, but that's different from actual participation in the sport nationwide.

speedracer said:

I am not sure, but I think snobby English types started calling it "football" once Americans picked up on it.

:lol: As it was snobby English types (At Eton I believe) who first came up with the name 'soccer' that would certainly be ironic!

No, seriously, I'd imagine the football/soccer nitpicking could get very annoying. :yes:

speedracer said:

And I have no idea why MLS teams don't compete against other club teams in Mexico and South America.

I actually meant Concacaf , but yeah 3 countries only ......

Actually Mexico is the one that does that , competes in the Copa Libertadores , which is the South America Champions League ....

Now that u said , it would strange , S A teams X US teams .... Most Traditional SA teams would have the pressure of kickin US teams ..... but that would be a pretty big motivation to US teams , would be fun :drool:

David Beckham has followed the same path selected by the English media that every other celebrity has.

He has been built up to a ridiculous status, put on a pedestal a mile high. However, the media eventually became bored of him after a few years, and for no reason at all (other than to sell newspapers) they decided to knock him down, like the blood thirsty bastards they are.

Hence, much of the English public now think that Beckham is only an average player at best. This critisism has spread throughout Europe. However, thankfully some fans have ignored this media crap, and can see Beckham for the quality player that he still is. I simply cannot accept that Beckham is past it or finished in football.

Well, that was until this afternoon when the news broke. There is no chance that Beckham will get back into the England team now he is in the US, no matter how well he plays. Such a waste of his last years. He could have, and should have moved to another European club. He still had the ability to play for a top club.l

I bet Mrs Beckham had something to do with this - I've heard she wants to make it in big in Hollywood. Her solo career flopped so now she's apparently trying her hand at something else.

And who knows, perhaps he was doing this for his pride and ego - in the past 6 months, he quit the Captaincy of England, was booted from said team and is no longer a starter for Real Madrid. In L.A. at least he'll probably end up finishing as the top-scorer.

Who knows if Beckham will have any effect on soccer/footy's popularity here in N. America; I did read an article stating that shortly after the announcement was made, the Toronto FC received over 500 calls inquiring about tickets. Who knows if those are regular soccer fans though :shrug:

And yes, be happy soccer hasn't broken the U.S. - hockey isn't that big there yet it still rankles most of us hockey fans to see teams in places like Carolina and 3 cities in California when most people couldn't care less.

Last edited:
Of Yeah , and forgot to say , people who found this great , don't forget to thank him ......

1135633689_0.jpg

:wink:

Hewson...you can be such a funny ass sometimes! :up:

BonoManiac said:

The signing will generate much more than $250 million globally, in sports paraphanelia alone.

In the short term it will generate interest in the sport across the US, or at least in the cities that have franchises. But, on it's own, the Beckham signing will not have much of an impact on the sport in the U.S.

However,what may happen, in the long term, is that more and more world-class players will follow Beckham's lead and come to North America. If Beckham has success players will regard MLS as a viable career option. Of course, if he flops then the status quo will prevail.

If more world-class players cross the pond this will have a huge impact on American soccer. For one, it may encourage the best American players to stay home rather than seeking employment in Europe. And two, the players that are already here will have the advantage of playing with better athletes which should, theoretically, allow them to grow and become better players themselves.

Everyone looks at the money, and it is an astronomical sum, but time is what is needed to accurately judge this deal. I, for one, will wait before judging the merits of this deal.

Excellent post.

I am not sure if they are going after the U.S. interest in MLS here by signing Beckham. I think this is a way to elevate the MLS on an international level. I am sure the MLS would love to be able to capture U.S. corporate dollars as we move to a global economy. They will do that by building interest in the MLS outside of the U.S. - and possibly recruit other international players with this type of cash. I am sure they would love for MLS to compete with other international league (knowing that the Premiership will always be THE league).

Cosmos and the league they played in tried something similar, but the world did not have the communication and entertainment media, as well as the corporate money, we have today.

As for U.S. talent vs. world talent....U.S. athletes strive to play our major sports, knowing that is where they think they can find money, fame and scholarships. These opportunites aren't as abundant in other countries - so they move towards football/soccer.

Finally...L.A. is the eprfect market for beckham to launch in the U.S. With a large Mexican-American population, the Galaxy actually succeed in drawing crowds! Now add Beckham!

I will pay to see Beckham...on the road.

speedracer said:

This map seems to indicate that soccer is less popular in China than it is in the US, at least when measured by participation. It may be popular as a spectator sport in a major city like Shanghai, but that's different from actual participation in the sport nationwide.

so according to that map, soccer is co-#1, how do you figure that makes it less popular than in the US ?

"participants" doesn't mean "paying customers"

the proliferation of youth soccer in the us has not translated to popularity at the paying adult level , something it HAS done in China

200 and 50 million dollars?

Really?

Why should anyone have that amount of money?

That's just crazy.

toscano said:

so according to that map, soccer is co-#1, how do you figure that makes it less popular than in the US ?

"participants" doesn't mean "paying customers"

the proliferation of youth soccer in the us has not translated to popularity at the paying adult level , something it HAS done in China

Paying customers don't make a nation strong in a sport; players do (when properly trained, something that the US is obviously not doing very well). I doubt China's professional soccer league is much better than MLS. Soccer is co-#1 in China along with basketball in participation, so presumably the popularity at the consumer level is comparable. But Chinese basketball is well below the NBA (though this may change in 20 years).

Back to Beckham -- SportsCenter just reported that the LA Galaxy sold 2000 season tickets since they signed him, despite the fact that he won't be able to play until August.

Last edited:
I heard on the news that he is going to win 3 millions a year (or more, but not 250)...

and those 250 millions are what he'll make from the Beckham "brand"...

the team let him stay with the rights to use his image... otherwise THEY would've had to pay a big figure...

THAT makes more sens to me... the guy can live of his image alone... but he needs to play still

Last edited:
:mad: This means that i'll pretty much never get to see him play again. I don't think ANY US football is shown on tv here - even with 5 sports channels on foxtel.

Although with Beckham playing over there, maybe this will change :scratch:

In any case, I'm not happy :(

I can tell you that even in China, they argue about which sport is more popular, so I doubt anyone here can actually figure that out! :wink:

But I can tell you football IS popular even if it wasn't the most popular sport in China.

I'm quite disappointed about this beckham going america thing... I always believe beckham is a good football player. I don't think he would have received this much media attention if he doesn't look good, but he is a decent player. Good crossings, good freekicks, and most importantly, he works hard.

He may not be as good as he was in his twentys, but he certainly would still be able to fit into many good european teams.

Going to america probably means I wouldn't see him plays again. I don't think the sports channels here would start to have MLS after Beckham's arrival.

Last edited:
FC Dallas in talks with Edgar Davids

Associated Press
1/12/2007 10:28:51 AM

LONDON (AP) - Edgar Davids could be the next big European soccer star to follow David Beckham to Major League Soccer.

One day after Beckham agreed a US$250-million, five-year deal with the Los Angeles Galaxy, the Dutch midfielder was in talks Friday with FC Dallas.

"We are actually in negotiations with Edgar Davids - we've been speaking for a couple of weeks," said Dallas coach Steve Morrow, a former Northern Ireland international midfielder who played for Arsenal.

"We were excited to hear about his availability, so we spoke to his agents and have been told he is available."

Davids, who wears protective eyeglasses on the field because he has the eye condition glaucoma, has won domestic and European club titles with Ajax, Juventus and FC Barcelona.

Nicknamed "Pit Bull" because of his aggressive style of playing, Davids plays for Tottenham in the Premier League but has lost his first-team place.

"It appears Tottenham are willing to listen to offers," Morrow told BBC radio. "It's the transfer window in the United States now and if a deal is going to happen it has to be done before the end of the month."

I don't think they'll get their money back out of it. Soccer just isn't popular in the US after you're about 11. But this is a good try.

BonoManiac said:
FC Dallas in talks with Edgar Davids

Associated Press
1/12/2007 10:28:51 AM

LONDON (AP) - Edgar Davids could be the next big European soccer star to follow David Beckham to Major League Soccer.

One day after Beckham agreed a US$250-million, five-year deal with the Los Angeles Galaxy, the Dutch midfielder was in talks Friday with FC Dallas.

"We are actually in negotiations with Edgar Davids - we've been speaking for a couple of weeks," said Dallas coach Steve Morrow, a former Northern Ireland international midfielder who played for Arsenal.

"We were excited to hear about his availability, so we spoke to his agents and have been told he is available."

Davids, who wears protective eyeglasses on the field because he has the eye condition glaucoma, has won domestic and European club titles with Ajax, Juventus and FC Barcelona.

Nicknamed "Pit Bull" because of his aggressive style of playing, Davids plays for Tottenham in the Premier League but has lost his first-team place.

"It appears Tottenham are willing to listen to offers," Morrow told BBC radio. "It's the transfer window in the United States now and if a deal is going to happen it has to be done before the end of the month."

Oh shit. This is bad news. Everyone is moving to America.

I mean $250 million. What a waste of money on an idiot who cant even do his toddler's homework.

Re: Hewson...you can be such a funny ass sometimes! :up:

zoney! said:

Excellent post.

I am not sure if they are going after the U.S. interest in MLS here by signing Beckham. I think this is a way to elevate the MLS on an international level. I am sure the MLS would love to be able to capture U.S. corporate dollars as we move to a global economy. They will do that by building interest in the MLS outside of the U.S. - and possibly recruit other international players with this type of cash. I am sure they would love for MLS to compete with other international league (knowing that the Premiership will always be THE league).

Cosmos and the league they played in tried something similar, but the world did not have the communication and entertainment media, as well as the corporate money, we have today.

As for U.S. talent vs. world talent....U.S. athletes strive to play our major sports, knowing that is where they think they can find money, fame and scholarships. These opportunites aren't as abundant in other countries - so they move towards football/soccer.

Finally...L.A. is the eprfect market for beckham to launch in the U.S. With a large Mexican-American population, the Galaxy actually succeed in drawing crowds! Now add Beckham!

I will pay to see Beckham...on the road.

That's excactly what I thought. I don't think they really want to generate attention from the US. They're trying to make the MLS a credible league because throughout the world it's mostly been thought of as a joke.

I'm really disappointed in Becks for jumping ship like this but for that amount of cash and his family and the fact that he wasn't fitting in with Capello's playing scheme ...I can't blame him.

I assure you, he was also thinking about his family when made this call.

And Headache, I think the reason why you guys don't like soccer is because none of you citizens of the US are very good at it. :wink:

Re: Re: Hewson...you can be such a funny ass sometimes! :up:

BrownEyedBoy said:

That's excactly what I thought. I don't think they really want to generate attention from the US. They're trying to make the MLS a credible league because throughout the world it's mostly been thought of as a joke.

I'm really disappointed in Becks for jumping ship like this but for that amount of cash and his family and the fact that he wasn't fitting in with Capello's playing scheme ...I can't blame him.

I assure you, he was also thinking about his family when made this call.

And Headache, I think the reason why you guys don't like soccer is because none of you citizens of the US are very good at it. :wink:

Nah, they still wouldn't like it. Requires attention spans of at least 45 minutes at a time.

:wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
$50 million per season... double what a-rod gets.

wow. wowwee wow wow.

i doubt it will have any real effect on soccer in america... buuuut, it got my attention, and i'd rather stick needles in my eyes than watch soccer, soooo we'll see.

I have the same feeling about soccer. Or stick bamboo under my fingernails..:|

I drive by The Home Depot Center 3 times a week; I drove by this morning and the HUGE marquee flashes "David Beckham Welcome to America!"

plus...."Galaxy season tickets now available..." (photo next week!)

Posh certainly got herself on a good wicket. No wonder she didn't go running when the affair stuff came up, look what she'd have missed out on!

Soccer is a really REALLY boring game. But then, so is american football. I mean, i don't even get why its a sport, and one that is watched so frequently.
Baseball - now thats a game. Love it.

But the king of all sports games. AFL. Watch an evenly matched game once, and you'll never go back. 2 hours of on the edge of your seat, screaming chanting watching the clock count down...omg. Nothing beats it! :drool: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom