Beckham, MLS, & the fate of football/soccer in the US - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:08 AM
Beckham, MLS, & the fate of football/soccer in the US

Does anyone thihk that Beckham will have an impressive impact on soccer in the States? Are we Americans just too dumb to appreciate professional soccer?

I know there are better players, but I'm excited for the chance to finally see him play in person..........yet I feel like no one else here is. There's a huge media push for him, but it doesn't feel like it's really swept anyone here.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Problem is Beckham is not a spectacle to watch when he plays...one of the best passers, crossers and free kick takers ever, but in ability to go past men and do mesmerising footwork tricks like Kaka or Zidane could do, he has never been that exciting...on pure celebrity and profile though he is possibly the biggest name in the sport ever.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

america has never taken to football like the rest of the world has before and i don't really think it will do now that beckham is there. He'll raise the profile of the sport but i don't think it'll become any more popular.

He's probably the most famous sportsman on the planet but i don't think it'll change popularity of the sport much, regardless of the media push.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:08 AM
interesting that the us can't get into soccer, whereas it seems as though canada has finally jumped on board. we suck horrible as a nation at it (we didn't even score a bloody goal in the u20 world cup for shit sakes), but the interest is definitely there. ratings on tv are high whether it's for this world cup or last years WC, EPL, etc.

but like LJT said, i think people will initially be disappointed by what they see in beckham as he's not someone to ever dazzle. he's dynamite on set pieces and creating fantastic opportunities for others through his crosses, but will americans care?

we'll find out, but i'm guessing not.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:08 AM
its funny, ESPN is covering his first game, and is bringing in 19 freaking cameras to follow him, but apparently he is hurt and probably won't play. so now ESPN has 19 cameras to watch him on the sideline, not a great start.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Initially there will be a spike in ratings to see what the deal is.

Then I think the public will go back to it's usual ways of "it's too boring, we want more scores!!!!, They cry too much when they get tackled" Well, I guess the last one is more geared towards watching the Italians play

I never reall cared too much about the game, but a english buddy of mine threw a World Cup party every time the U.S and Englad played last year, and I kind of discovered the little nuances of the game with him and others.

I'm hoping Soccer does pick up here in the U.S. Our national teams are getting better, but you'd think with 20-60 million guys playing the game, we could find 11 that would be good enough for the rest of the world.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

If I want to watch interesting footy, which is a rarity, I'll watch the Premiership. Honestly Beckham isn't enough to get me to watch MLS.

As far as Beckham helping the sport out in the US, I doubt he'll do much for it. There's the NFL, NASCAR, MLB, and the NBA at least ahead of soccer, maybe the NHL too. The US is an over-saturated sports market as it is.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:29 AM   #8
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160
If I want to watch interesting footy, which is a rarity, I'll watch the Premiership. Honestly Beckham isn't enough to get me to watch MLS.

As far as Beckham helping the sport out in the US, I doubt he'll do much for it. There's the NFL, NASCAR, MLB, and the NBA at least ahead of soccer, maybe the NHL too. The US is an over-saturated sports market as it is.
Exactly, I don't see him doing much to boost soccer/football in the US. Golf is probably ahead of it at this point, too.

It doesn't help that the NFL and NCAA have a strangle-hold on sports in the US either.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:14 AM   #9
Refugee

It didn't work when they tried to "bring soccer to the US" with Pele in the 70s, and it's not gonna work now.

As for Beckham, well, he'll sell Galaxy merchandise and they'll give Hollywood a go as planned. All I know is, it's gonna be a very very awkward locker room, payroll and all.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:52 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:08 PM
C'mon USA, lift your game. Football is the greatest sport in the world and no country has the right to claim international sporting superiority (like we pathetically do) if your people aren't interested in the beautiful game.

Or is it a case of soccer not necessarily being unpopular, but having it's potential deliberatly undermined by major domestic sport (basketball, baseball, gridiron) and the media who fear that soccer will eventually eclipse these sports to take a stranglehold in the popularity stakes? The marginaisation of the "ethnic" game, the game of Mexican "border-jumpers." An idea perpetuated by racist scum.

That's what it's been like in Australia. The media controlling what Aussies follow, through attacking soccer to preserve the sporting status quo. It's one of the great myths that all Aussies adore cricket. Few really give a toss about the dying sport of cricket, and soccer is by far more of an appealing sport to most Australians, even if has it's association with " sheilas, wogs and poofters" That said, we still get shitehouse media coverage, while for some reason cricket and rugby league dominate when few really give a shit.

Beckham's presence at LA Galaxy won't mean much on the field. He was never a "great" player, just a handy player with a mint missus. But MLS seems to be going places in recent years, and the US has it's fair share of quality players, such as Landon Donovan, Brad Friedel, Reyna and the cooly-named Jeff Agoos.

New England Revolution are my team....
Old 07-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #11
45:33

Local Time: 08:08 PM
I love how they say it wasn't for the money.

What a joke.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:11 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:08 PM
I think it's great for the MLS that they've managed to get him and guys like Angel who, while above 30, can't be considered pensioners yet (a la Djorkaeff, for example). Great too for guys like Carl Robinson and Andy Welsh at Toronto FC, who've had some degree of Premier League experience.

By all accounts interest in the Galaxy and in David Beckham is sky high at the moment but I doubt it'll last; what's going to happen, for example, if the Galaxy don't start winning, if Beckham gets injured, and what of the other teams?
Old 07-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #13
Refugee

the problem with beckham is that he went to play for LA GAlaXY , which i don't think is a decent team ( new england Revolution for example ), all hype , hollywood
for real football , there are chanels , 17 , 21 , all spanish speaking ones , and those folks really care about the game
Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

He's increasing interest at least in the Boston area, though we have always been among the most supportive for MLS and women's soccer league attempts. I couldn't get tickets to the Galaxy-Revs game, the Revs are using this sellout to sell 4 game packs that include that game.

For me, it would have been the first time at an American pro soccer game in maybe 4 years. But I've been to European football games in the interim and it's just such a better game and so much more exciting. Beckham might be a start but the level of play has to go way up for me to want to watch on TV or go to games instead of watching European games. It's a catch 22, the interest in the sport is partially there, but for it to be harnessed into interest and income in the American league the league needs to get way better first, but they can't without that interest and income...
Old 07-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine

That's what it's been like in Australia. The media controlling what Aussies follow, through attacking soccer to preserve the sporting status quo. It's one of the great myths that all Aussies adore cricket. Few really give a toss about the dying sport of cricket, and soccer is by far more of an appealing sport to most Australians, even if has it's association with " sheilas, wogs and poofters" That said, we still get shitehouse media coverage, while for some reason cricket and rugby league dominate when few really give a shit.

is this actually somewhere near the truth? Surely one of the reasons that australia are so good at cricket is because lots of people play it and enjoy it?

Having said that the socceroos have produced some good good players over the last 5-10 years so perhaps you're right...