Beckham, MLS, & the fate of football/soccer in the US

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zoomerang96 said:
yeah, but no la liga.

that's where goltv comes in handy.

I like Goltv and La Liga, but can somebody please cauterize Ray Hudson's vocal cords?

toscano said:

Some noggin-enlarging performance enhancers help too if you REALLY want to succeed at [baseball]

You know Barry Bonds was a three-time MVP before he started using steroids, right?

BrownEyedBoy said:
I'm really rooting for Galaxy to do something because Pavón is Honduran and perhaps the biggest idol in the local team Real España (reigning champs mind you :wink: ) but I just can't believe how they keep racking up losses.

They really need to get their act together. :madspit:

Wow, LA sure stunk up the joint against Chivas.

Beckham was OK considering how gassed he was, but unfortunately he can't play midfield, striker and three positions on the back line simultaneously.

Also, that Cuban kid (Maykel Galindo) for Chivas is pretty good.

Last edited:
speedracer said:

You know Barry Bonds was a three-time MVP before he started using steroids, right?

Making having to cheat his way to the home-run record all the more needless

i can't wait till it starts coming out that soccer/football players have been juicing too... ya know it's gonna happen. athletes are athletes are athletes. all are looking for that competitive edge. if you don't believe that there are top athletes in all sports who are "cheating" in some way, you're a fool.

I'll say this. if you watch an MLS game today compared to five years ago, the talent has increased greatly. It's still not as exciting as the Premier League - or even the South American leagues - but it's getting better. I think the MLS has enough of a foothold to stay around a while. The US team has ceased to be a complete joke, and it seems to be garnering some respect on an International level. The MLS teams themselves need to improve greatly to compete against clubs from other leagues, and I think in time this will happen.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i can't wait till it starts coming out that soccer/football players have been juicing too... ya know it's gonna happen. athletes are athletes are athletes. all are looking for that competitive edge. if you don't believe that there are top athletes in all sports who are "cheating" in some way, you're a fool.

Well, when their heads start doubling in size we'll know for sure........

UberBeaver said:
I'll say this. if you watch an MLS game today compared to five years ago, the talent has increased greatly. It's still not as exciting as the Premier League - or even the South American leagues -
or watching grass grow or paint dry.

Hewson said:
or watching grass grow or paint dry.

speaking of paint drying, my youngest son has been bugging me to take him to a baseball game for some time so we went to an Angels game last week. omigod, 3 hours of nothing interspersed with an overblown game of rounders.

that was the most painful afternoon of "sport" i have ever suffered through.

the crowds need to be told by big flashing lights when to make noise, there is more inaction than there is action, and americans have the audacity to call soccer boring ????

and this is supposedly league-leading top flight baseball here. sorry, but as someone who has gone to many top flight european league games, it's hard to believe anyone in their right mind could go to one, go to an MLB game and then say that soccer is the more boring of the 2.

never again. Mom can take him next time, please..........

toscano said:

speaking of paint drying, my youngest son has been bugging me to take him to a baseball game for some time so we went to an Angels game last week. omigod, 3 hours of nothing interspersed with an overblown game of rounders.

that was the most painful afternoon of "sport" i have ever suffered through.

the crowds need to be told by big flashing lights when to make noise, there is more inaction than there is action, and americans have the audacity to call soccer boring ????

and this is supposedly league-leading top flight baseball here. sorry, but as someone who has gone to many top flight european league games, it's hard to believe anyone in their right mind could go to one, go to an MLB game and then say that soccer is the more boring of the 2.

never again. Mom can take him next time, please..........

Your basing this on going to one game. A game in southern California at that. That area isn't exactly known for its diehard fans. Try going to a game where the fans care a little bit more and maybe it won't be as boring.

randhail said:

Your basing this on going to one game. A game in southern California at that. That area isn't exactly known for its diehard fans. Try going to a game where the fans care a little bit more and maybe it won't be as boring.

Well, there's the the difference then. Even MLB fans afmit their own games are boring depending on where in the country it is being held !

ANY division leading team's game in Spain, Germany, Italy, England etc will be noisy and interactive and exciting. And it'll only TAKE 1 game to see that.

toscano said:

Well, there's the the difference then. Even MLB fans afmit their own games are boring depending on where in the country it is being held !

Yes, it "depends on the location" in the sense that LA/Orange County is the one place in the United States whose baseball (and basketball and football and hockey) fans are all retarded and narcoleptic.

LA are playing a friendly against newly founded A-League football club, Wellington Phoenix in November.

speedracer said:

Yes, it "depends on the location" in the sense that LA/Orange County is the one place in the United States whose baseball (and basketball and football and hockey) fans are all retarded and narcoleptic.

Must be from all those championships the local teams bring home.

NBA, College Football, Stanley Cup, World Series, etc.

Still, good argument you have there. Well thought out and lucid.

Yankees Fan , right ?

americans think soccer is boring because it's not the sport we grew up with... europeans think baseball is boring because it's not the sport they grew up with. end of fucking discussion.

if soccer was huge when i was a kid, i'd be a huge soccer fan. it's not, i'm not.

other sports... most noticeably the "extreme" sports have become quite big in america, not because of how exciting vs. boring they are, but because they were marketed well to young kids. the ratings for the x-games are huge now.

every little kid in america plays soccer and/or baseball. at some point soccer loses them, but baseball doesn't. if soccer ever really wanted to become huge in america, it would have to figure out why that is and fix it.

toscano said:

Well, when their heads start doubling in size we'll know for sure........

steroids do not double the size of your head. weight gain makes your head bigger. most steroids make it easier to work out and decrease recovery time. if you work out to add bulk, your head will grow in size as you gain more weight through muscle mass (with or without steroids, mind you). if you work out to add tone and endurance, your head won't balloon (with or without steroids).

looking at the size of someone's head as a way to decide wether or not that person is on steroids is naive.

cyclists, track stars... they use steroids, but they work out not to add mass, rather to add endurance. thus you don't see a cyclists riding around with a bobble head. but they're still juicing. hitters want mass to hit the ball further... soccer players do not neccesarily want to be slower, they'd take steroids more along the ways that cyclists and track stars do.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

steroids do not double the size of your head. weight gain makes your head bigger. most steroids make it easier to work out and decrease recovery time. if you work out to add bulk, your head will grow in size as you gain more weight through muscle mass (with or without steroids, mind you). if you work out to add tone and endurance, your head won't balloon (with or without steroids).

looking at the size of someone's head as a way to decide wether or not that person is on steroids is naive.

cyclists, track stars... they use steroids, but they work out not to add mass, rather to add endurance. thus you don't see a cyclists riding around with a bobble head. but they're still juicing. hitters want mass to hit the ball further... soccer players do not neccesarily want to be slower, they'd take steroids more along the ways that cyclists and track stars do.

Actually, one of the side effects of excessive human growth hormone use is acromegaly - the increase of the thickness of certain bones like in the hands and feet. I don't know if they head growth is as well documented as the hand and feet enlargement, but there is evidence backing it up. I've never heard of anyone's head enlarging due to the type of workouts they do though. Your head should never enlarge once you've fully matured unless there is some pathological process going on.

yes... but HGH is not a steroid.

p1_jordan2.jpg
jordan.jpg

i'm not saying the actuall skull growing... but the appearance of one's head growing due to increased mass, deffinetly. or perhaps jordan took steroids :shrug: who knows for sure...

one person i know who hasn't taken steroids yet who's head has grown in size...

brockport2.jpg
253659650_5a9e841f8d.jpg

chalk it up to too many performance debilitating pints of guinness :wink:

Last edited:
It may not be a steroid in the chemical since, but it is a steroid in what it does. It's probably more effective than any anabolic steroid could ever be.

Back
Top Bottom