Beckham, MLS, & the fate of football/soccer in the US - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 02:30 PM
Soccer on artificial turf is just ridiculous. I tried watching some of that game yesterday, just horrible watching the ball bounce around like that.

It's less glamorous than the frantic 100mph EPL, but the best soccer is in the Bundesliga these days

Old 08-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #47
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

Baseball is a non-contact sport that puts a premium on carefully practiced skills rather than raw athletic ability,
Some noggin-enlarging performance enhancers help too if you REALLY want to succeed at it.....

Old 08-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #48
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:30 PM
Another reason why baseball and football are so popular in the States is because of fantasy leagues.

I've never seen a fantasy soccer league.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #49
Refugee

The Red Bulls will be moving to their new football specific stadium by 2009 at the latest, which will be a grass pitch thank god. This artificial FieldTurf regardless what they say in tests is still artificial at the end of the day, it's never going to be real turf. They say the reason for Beckham's four free kicks that were blocked by walls yesterday was because of the fake grass.

Toronto FC which has FieldTurf says it's staying because it creates money for multi-purpose reasons outside the football season. Real Salt Lake have it as well but will be moving to a new stadium next year. New England use it at Gillette Stadium but have also announced plans to move to a new stadium. This might leave Toronto as the only place that uses fake grass, this has to change in my opinion.

If you are going to attract big names from Europe then you need to have the playing conditions, at the very least the surface you play on, similar to what is used in Europe. This should be a fundamental approach in MLS. It blows me away actually.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Slipstream

If you are going to attract big names from Europe then you need to have the playing conditions, at the very least the surface you play on, similar to what is used in Europe. This should be a fundamental approach in MLS. It blows me away actually.
Bang on, Slipstream. Decent European players are going to be less likely to want to play for any MLS team if they have to suddenly switch to an artificial surface. It's one thing if you've spent your entire professional career training and playing on artificial turf, but if you haven't, the prospect of altering your style for a struggling league probably doesn't seem worth it. I'm surprised Toronto FC aren't making the effort to change to a normal grass pitch. I suppose I can understand it, though...new team, new stadium...they have a lot of costs they need to try to offset. Being able to use the artificial surface, at least temporarily until they get on their feet, will probably help bring in revenue through other ways. It would be in their best interests to get rid of the FieldTurf as soon as possible, however. If TFC had a few more Danny Dichios and a few more Andy Welshs, maybe they wouldn't be at the bottom of the standings...

But back to the original topic: it's going to take a hell of a lot more than ol' Becks to jumpstart football in the US. I don't know if US interest for the sport will ever be on par with football mania in Europe, South America and Africa. It's just not part of the culture, and I don't think it ever could be. Unless attitudes start changing drastically, that is. The idea of buying hotdogs at a baseball game, or cheering slam dunk after slam dunk, is just so inherently American. Beating a drum and chanting for a team that may or may not score one or two goals in the course of 90 minutes is not American in the slightest. They want touchdowns, they want home runs, they want tackles, they want three-point shots, they want stolen bases... MLS has tried to Americanise football and make it more appealing to the target audience. I mean, when I was watching an away match between Toronto FC and some American team, I nearly gagged when the cheerleaders came out with their pom poms. The only 'Poms' that belong in football are of the British variety. It's just not enough though, for a population that tends only to support MLB, NFL and NBA. From what I've been able to gather from the few MLS matches I've watched, people just don't know how to respond to the sport. Oh, there are some hugely dedicated fans, don't get me wrong... but venues usually seem to be half empty and lukewarm in volume.

The great exception to this by far is Toronto FC. Home matches are always sold out, people sing, people bang on drums, people hurl streamers and seat covers onto the pitch...hell, at the 24th minute of every match, they sing a song just for Dichio because he scored the club's first ever goal. That's the way it should be at a football match. Sometimes, if I close my eyes and disregard the poor quality football on the screen, I feel like I'm listening to an English Premiership crowd. They just "get it" in Canada. Instead of taking the attitude of "Well, it's not Canadian, so I'm not going to watch it or support it", people have embraced Toronto FC completely. And they're at the bottom of the eastern standings! It just goes to show that a team doesn't have to be good to generate incredible amounts of interest. Toronto FC doesn't need a star like Beckham to help them sell out seats, because the interest is there to begin with. More of what's happening in Toronto needs to happen in the US. I really think it's a cultural thing at the end of the day. You could substitute the ENTIRE American league with Europe's finest, and still have the same lacklustre following that MLS currently has. Until more Americans embrace football for what it is, David Beckham's presence won't do a damn thing. He may cause a peak curiosity for a year or so, but he won't revolutionise the game in the long run.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
Another reason why baseball and football are so popular in the States is because of fantasy leagues.

I've never seen a fantasy soccer league.
You have this reversed.

The reason Fantasy leagues exist here are because sports like baseball and football are so popular.

Anyway.

GG just said it best.

Soccer will never catch on here beyond the rising participation of youth leagues. Soccer is nothing new, this country has had ages to embrace it, or to not. When Pele was in NYC, the Cosmos were wildly popular for a while, but, it died down and soccer went back to being some obscure sport played overseas.

I've watched a lot of soccer, for an american at least, and I've come to appreciate it a lot more than ever, but, still, I only get jazzed for The World Cup, or something like the Champion's Cup, or when the US plays other international opponents. It just will never be for me what football and baseball are (and, I don't actually want HR's, I want well pitched games, but that's another thread).

So, Beckham is here, and it's good for Galaxy attendance and good for local TV ratings on FSN Prime Ticket, but, I'd be shocked if the impact goes beyond that.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:03 PM   #52
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

True, but the fantasy leagues probably fuel more coverage of those sports by THE WORLDWIDE LEADER ™.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:07 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:30 PM
I disagree, in a humble way, of course.

The worldwider leader is fueled by whatever sports they have a national contract for. Notice their extensive NASCAR coverage now, as opposed to 2 years ago, when there was none. NHL? Disappeared.

The worldwide leader is just a 24-hour crosspromotional vehicle that happens to have the $$ $ to secure rights to heavily watched sports.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 PM   #54
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

You're right, and they stick almost all soccer on ESPN Deportes.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:33 AM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:30 PM
Quote:
they stick almost all soccer on ESPN Deportes.
I had to look that up. They seriously air most of it on THAT programme?! Crazy... Here, you can watch it on CBC (Canada's national station) or Roger's Sportsnet (one of the most popular cable/satellite networks in Canada).
Old 08-20-2007, 10:39 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

soccer actually gets really good ratings in canada...

i'd say there's little doubt that as a whole, soccer is right behind hockey in canada. maybe cfl/nfl would be ahead, but it's close.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #57
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

I had to look that up. They seriously air most of it on THAT programme?! Crazy... Here, you can watch it on CBC (Canada's national station) or Roger's Sportsnet (one of the most popular cable/satellite networks in Canada).
It's pretty crazy.

I remember going on a cruise one year and my dad and I wanted to watch the Florida State college football game. All the ship had was ESPN Deportes and instead of showing the game, they were showing highlights of stock car racing.

Lots of exciting programming on ESPN Deportes.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:44 PM   #58
Refugee

Quote:

It's pretty crazy.

I remember going on a cruise one year and my dad and I wanted to watch the Florida State college football game. All the ship had was ESPN Deportes and instead of showing the game, they were showing highlights of stock car racing.

Lots of exciting programming on ESPN Deportes.
Fox Soccer Channel

EPL every Saturday and Sunday morning
Serie A
Bundesliga
Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

yeah, but no la liga.

that's where goltv comes in handy.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:01 AM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I'm really rooting for Galaxy to do something because Pavón is Honduran and perhaps the biggest idol in the local team Real España (reigning champs mind you ) but I just can't believe how they keep racking up losses.

They really need to get their act together.