Beckham: Broken Ankle?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ladywithspinninghead

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
This has all but been confirmed by the British sources....They think he may be out for up to 8 weeks - which means he won't be playing the first few games of the World Cup.

Of course, this is all speculation at this point but still....

Oh my.....Poor, poor England..........
frown.gif

Don't worry. We have other players. Anyway, it'll probably make them play better as a team, instead of relying on him all the time.

it's not a rumor anymore. he's gone. will probably miss the start of the cup.

wanderer, surely you follow the world cup?

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
Don't worry. We have other players. Anyway, it'll probably make them play better as a team, instead of relying on him all the time.

I agree, Becks certainly is the best in free kicks and corners, but as an overall player he is very overrated by the british press, in my opinion Manchester United has at least 4 better players than him, Juan Sebastian Veron, Ryan Giggs, Roy Keane and Paul Scholes, some may not agree but this players do more for a team. As for England, I don't know, I think is more of a psicological blow.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

And it was an Argentinian who did it too - one big conspiracy I bet!!!!!!!!!
wink.gif

No need to put a little wink on the end of this one lady, its kinda true. Seen this happen many times before with relation to England v Argentina matches. Its sad, but they dont seem to play the game in the spirit of many other nations.

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

I heard that Eriksson would include Beckham even if he couldn't recover on time. I hope he'll be fit before the WC. I don't like to see talented footballers miss out the WC because of injuries. First Pires, now Beckham...
frown.gif

Sweden will win the game anyway.... One way or the other, with Eriksson or the whole team.
wink.gif

But it would be slightely funnier if the actual Swedish team won.
smile.gif
Now the chanses increases some with Beckham gone. Feel sorry for him though.

Originally posted by bono_man:
No need to put a little wink on the end of this one lady, its kinda true. Seen this happen many times before with relation to England v Argentina matches. Its sad, but they dont seem to play the game in the spirit of many other nations.

While Argentinans has their own way to play, it takes someone that doean't know how hard football should be played and with really obscure mind to think this was made on purpouse.

Simply very bad luck.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

[This message has been edited by rafmed (edited 04-13-2002).]

Originally posted by rafmed:
While Argentinans has their own way to play, it takes someone that doean't know how hard football should be played and with really obscure mind to think this was made on purpouse.

Simply very bad luck.

I have watched the English Premier League for many, many years so firstly, I think I understand the concept of 'hard football'.

Secondly, a team that is obviously deliberately targeting a player steps beyond the boundaries of 'hard football'.

Simone's display in the France '98 WC that led to David Beckham being sent off (Simone later apologised for this and admitted he cheated) was not a case of 'hard football'.

Maradonna's infamous 'Hand of God' incident in the '82 (?) WC was not 'hard football'.

If you honestly think over the years this team has played fairly with simply hard football, you are sadly mistaken.

------------------

Talking about England vs Argentina games, one important game that should not be overlooked is the one in the 1966 world cup, that world cup was so biased to make England win that the refering was atrocious, in the quarter finals England played against Argentina, with the game tied, the referee, sent of Ratin a skilled argentinan midfielder, and the reason the referee reported for sent him off was "for the look in his face" of course Argentinans felt robbed, and displayed a bad behavior, Alf Ramsey the England coach, later appointed as Sir, called the Argentinans "animals". So the bad blood between England and Argentina has a long way.

Still, to prove that Dusher HAD THE INTENTION to injure Becks is absurd, if he would have wanted to hurt him his foot would has been higher, of course it was a very hard tackle, dangerous, and with terrible bad luck.

Speaking of though game, Italian, Spanish and German leagues are tougher in that sense, because they care more about press defense, in my opinion English footy cares more about being offensive, wich is why sometimes can be more spectacular.

About 1966 world cup the refeeres did everything they could to eliminate the dangerous oponents, Brazil that had won the previous 2 cups, was eliminated in the first round with so bad refering that Pele had to leave 2 games injured, because players on the oponent teams were allowed blatantly to kick him without punishment.

Of course England won the cup with that famous "ghost" goal.

------------------

How can you justify those incidents by players wearing Argentinian shirts to the standard of refereeing in the '66 WC? The refereeing standard doesnt relect on how fair a team is whether it is home and away. Plus, the referee wouldnt have been niether English or Angentinian for that match.

And how could that 'no goal' be called the winning goal when England won 4-2???

Of course, unless Dusher actually comes out and says he meant to hurt him (though he did come out and refuse admit he was in the wrong) it cannot be proven. However, looking at the evidence it (like many Argentinian footballing acts in recent years) is decidedly dodgey. Lets just say this shall we...I wouldnt put it past him.

------------------

What I'm trying to state is that if in some ocasions England has been damaged by bad referee judgement, in other ocassions it has been helped by them. I think as any team.

Yeah the score was 4-2 in the final, but you should note that the last goal was scoerd when the game was in the last minute when people was almost on the pitch, I want to see if the german team would has been all over England side of the field has that goal not been allowed. That "ghost" goal was definitive and everybody knows it.

Even if Dusher didn't want to ask for apologies in the begining, he called Beckham in the last days and he did what was correct, I believe he didn't think he should apologize because it was never his intention to cause and injury to Beckham, in the end he apologized, I agree that the right thing was to call Beckham and show that to cause an injury to a coleague is also something that no one wants.

------------------

Back
Top Bottom