Beautiful New Hubble Photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
These pictures are breathtaking. The photos were taken by the Hubble's newly installed camera on April 30, 2002. These and more photos can be found on the following links.
http://sites.stsci.edu/pubinfo/pr/2002/11/pr-photos.html
http://hubblesite.org/

3343533523232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3235%3E8%3B5%3E33%3A%3Ewsnrcg%3D3232397%3B%3C6%3A5%3Anu0mrj

3343533523232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3235%3E8%3B5%3E33%3A%3Ewsnrcg%3D3232397%3B%3C6%3A58nu0mrj

3343533523232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3235%3E8%3B5%3E33%3A%3Ewsnrcg%3D3232397%3B%3C6%3A59nu0mrj

3343533523232%7Ffp5%3Enu%3D3235%3E8%3B5%3E33%3A%3Ewsnrcg%3D3232397%3B%3C6%3A5%3Bnu0mrj

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

Those are incredible! Thanks for posting them ABEL.

------------------
me3

Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel

yes, they are quite stunning, I spent the $1 today on the NY Times so I could get the photos that were on the cover -- can't wait to see more, anyone know when the next batch of photos will be released to the public?

those dont even look real, and that says alot, i think.

absolutely stunning. only my pictures i take for the paper look better.

------------------
-deathbear

ABEL thanks for starting this thread!

here's another great site!
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

ngc5139_tan.jpg

etacarinae3_hst.jpg

check out this one! it's a star ready to explode- but they don't know when, it could happen in one year or in 1 million years.. it's mass is 100X that of our sun!

more:
izaurora_mammana.jpg

ic1396_cfht.jpg

catseye_hst.jpg

this is a cat eye's nebula

------------------
"You just stretch it out and realise
a whisper can be louder than a scream." ~Bono

*U2TakeMeHigher*

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 05-02-2002).]

I was watching CNN today and they were interviewing the guy from stargazer.

He said SOOO many interesting things.

The cone nebula is a sort of incubation area for stars. In the matter of billions of years the gas surrounding that will dissipate and innumerable stars will have been formed!!! It's beautiful. He said that cone is something like 150-250 billion lightyears long!!

See those bright starlike things surrounding the cone? Well, each one contains billions of stars, each one millions of times brighter than our own Sun.

The mice galaxies are two galaxies colliding and interacting. He said this will happen to our galaxy(milky way) and our nearest(andromeda) in billions of years. The earth will not even exist then.(we humans still be around?)

The most interesting thing to think about is that we are just getting the light from these "new" galaxies now. They were in this position over 250 billion lightyears ago!!!!!!! That cone nebula is proabably already dissipated.

I am in love with this sort of thing. The more you think about expanding universes and lightyears and galaxies the more weak and feeble I feel, I could cry sometimes as lame and 'wussy' that sounds.. But it seems to me that such great beauty can only be attributed to God. I will never believe that all this unimaginable beauty is an accident...no...its a painting...a work of art of a creator. Must be.

If this is so, why would He create galaxies, planets and stars billions and billions and billions of light years away...stars and planets we will never see? There must be more life out there. More beings out there on the other side of the universe that are also enjoying this.

If this is so, and if God is real, did Jesus go there too? Do they have a bible of some sort? Do they have a different way of being 'saved'?

MAN!!!!! I could ramble on and on. I love this stuff!

By the time the earth corrodes and becomes polluted to death will we have the technology to all leave and inhabit another planet? Will we ever be able to explore other universes? Will we ever do the impossible and travel at lightspeed?

I'll shut-up

by the way, the star in the last post has prolly already exploded, its just a matter of when we get to see it.

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

[This message has been edited by Basstrap (edited 05-02-2002).]

Originally posted by Basstrap:

I am in love with this sort of thing. The more you think about expanding universes and lightyears and galaxies the more weak and feeble I feel, I could cry sometimes as lame and 'wussy' that sounds.. But it seems to me that such great beauty can only be attributed to God. I will never believe that all this unimaginable beauty is an accident...no...its a painting...a work of art of a creator. Must be.
I totally totallllllly believe this!! It's fall-down amazing!

Thanks for all your other insights and telling us about the cone star. i have that set as my desktop
smile.gif
I'll reply more later when I have time..

------------------

*U2TakeMeHigher*

Originally posted by bono-vox:
Olive i still gotta do ur website review-sorry ill email you soon! promise!
smile.gif

No prob! I'll keep my eyes out for it
smile.gif

------------------

*U2TakeMeHigher*

Basstrap,
I think you need to use million where you used Billion. The farthest we can see back in time or distance is 12 or 13 billion light years. The latest info indicates the Big Bang occured 14 billion years ago.

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
catseye_hst.jpg

this is a cat eye's nebula

That reminds me of the cover to Pearl Jam's Binaural.

cvbinaural.gif

4) Light Years
-----
I've used hammers made out of wood.
I have played games with pieces and rules.
I've deciphered tricks at the bar,
But now you're gone, I haven't figured out why.
I've come up with riddles, and jokes about war.
I've figured out numbers and what they're for.
I've understood feelings and I've understood words,
But how could you be taken away?

And wherever you've gone...and wherever we might go...
It don't seem fair...today just disappeared.
Your light's reflected now...reflected from afar...
We were but stones...your light made us stars.

With heavy breath...awakened regrets...
Backpages and days alone that could have been spent
Together, but we were miles apart.
Every inch between us becomes light years now.
No time to be void or save up on life...
You got to spend it all.

It don't seem fair...you seem to like it here.

It don't seem fair...the day just disappears.

[This message has been edited by wannabe (edited 05-02-2002).]

WoW they don't even look real!!

Actually, they *aren't*, in a way. If I'm correct, these--and all space photos--are received in black-and-white and they capture the ultraviolet spectrum (e.g., it's non-visible). The color is added articifically to be aesthetically pleasing.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

Originally posted by melon:
Actually, they *aren't*, in a way. If I'm correct, these--and all space photos--are received in black-and-white and they capture the ultraviolet spectrum (e.g., it's non-visible). The color is added articifically to be aesthetically pleasing.

Melon

below is a link to how the hubble takes these pictures.
http://hubblesite.org/sci.d.tech/behind_the_pictures/meaning_of_color/index.shtml

------------------
-Albert Einstein

izaurora_mammana.jpg

One time I was lucky enough (or unlucky enough seeing as the Northern Lights only come out in true colors when it's FREEZING!) to be camping up north and I got to see the Northern Lights. This pic doesn't come close to doing them justics. It really is amazing, I'd reccommend it to everyone.

------------------
Come on wisdom tooth, don't fail me now!

It's still one of my dreams to see the northern lights (Aurora Borealis). When/Where did you see it Lilly?

------------------
-Albert Einstein

originally posted by Sting
Basstrap,
I think you need to use million where you used Billion. The farthest we can see back in time or distance is 12 or 13 billion light years. The latest info indicates the Big Bang occured 14 billion years ago.

Actually I meant to use billions. Our earth is quite young when compared to the universe for which no age can be pinned really.

Also, I don't believe the Big Bang. Tell me, where did the gas come from and the dust?? Where did the first speck of gas in all the complete nothingness come from??? Did all this perfect world with its complex interactions and thinking, feeling people just come by accident?? I hope not, that would be very sad. the theory has so many holes I can't believe its even a theory.

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

I was privileged to see them last August while on the border of Canada and Minnesota. They are amazing.

Back
Top Bottom