Beatlesque bits in other bands' songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Sometimes bands seem to give their salute to the Beatles by subtle beatlesque references in their songs, little bits and pieces of melody that sound very reminiscent of the Beatles. Take Pearl Jam's MFC for instance. Listen at the 1:10 mark. :drool: Or several moments on Tears For Fears' Sowing The Seeds Of Love. Can you think of more? :sexywink:

Window in the Skies, especially the chorus. That's what I thought the first time I heard the song, and my opinion of it hasn't changed. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, it's just the U2 song that sounds the most like something the Beatles would've done.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
Window in the Skies, especially the chorus. That's what I thought the first time I heard the song, and my opinion of it hasn't changed. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, it's just the U2 song that sounds the most like something the Beatles would've done.

:yes: That very Harrison-esque guitar part!

Also, Aimee Mann's How Am I Different. :drool:

Modest Mouse's "Dark Center of the Universe"

It reminds me of "Because" with bits of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds."

A whole heaping portion of Spoon songs give off a Beatlesesque vibe.

Spoon :drool:

I just heard a song by Derek Webb called "Name" or something like that that had a real Beatles feel to part of it. More so than many other songs I've heard.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

Original Of The Species?

Oasis have been admittingly stealing from the Beatles their entire career. Hey, if you're going to steal, steal from the best, right? That was Noel's creedo. Everything's derivative anyway. Led Zeppelin ripped off various blues artists with no problem whatsoever.

There is a Billy Joel song called 'Surprises' on his Nylon Curtain record from the early 80s, and that song sounds just like melodic-style Beatles at their best. You should check it out. Great song.

I'm not sure it counts but the band Utopia did an album where every song intentially sounded like the Beatles sort of like a concept record around the sound of the Beatles. It's very interesting and very good. Utopia's harmonies rival even the Beatles themselves. :drool:

It's an interesting listen. It nails the Beatles so well that people listening on the radio had thought the band had reunited. I could upload it and send it to anyone interesting.

MrPryck2U said:
Oasis have been admittingly stealing from the Beatles their entire career. Hey, if you're going to steal, steal from the best, right? That was Noel's creedo.

And Oasis do it better than anyone, more often than not writing songs that are better than The Beatles

intedomine said:

And Oasis do it better than anyone, more often than not writing songs that are better than The Beatles

this is like saying that x&y is better than the joshua tree.

MrBrau1 said:

I need to send you some Boo Radleys & Badfinger albums.

almost as good as sky blue sky :wink:

what is it about wilco that makes you only a casual fan, btw., brau?

What exactly makes a song sound Beatlesque? Unless someone is trying to sound like Lennon or McCartney, I really can't see how they can sound like the Beatles..........The Beatles were brilliant at harmonies and creating great melodies, but I mean these are basic concepts of songwriting that The Beatles did amazingly well but aren't specific to them:shrug:

"Ejector Seat Reservation" by swervedriver has the most unexpected beatlesque break - after 3 minutes of simmering, moody guitar rock, a soaring, harmonized, melodic chorus/middle 8.
god i love swervedriver...:drool:

on the subject of tears for fears' 'sowing the seeds of love' -
i seem to remember singing along to that with the words "stealing the beatles stuff..."
not that there's anything wrong with that...

oh yeah, and the album 'bellybutton' by jellyfish is full of beatlesque moments. find it, no disappointments...
god i love jellyfish...:drool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom