Beatles: Lennon vs McCartney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of the two, I prefer Lennon.

TANGENT BEGIN!!!
But in reality, I'm a George Harrison man.

Blue Jay Way
Don't Bother Me
For You Blue
Here Comes The Sun
I Me Mine
I Need You
I Want To Tell You
If I Needed Someone
It's All Too Much
Long, Long, Long
Love You To
Old Brown Shoe
Only A Northern Song
Piggies
Savoy Truffle
Something
Taxman
The Inner Light
Think For Yourself
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Within You Without You
You Like Me Too Much

The majority of my favourite Beatles songs are all George's.
END TANGENT!

Sorry... *ahem*

Anyway, as much as it chagrins me to admit it, I think Paul was a better songwriter - but only that he's only the better songwriter if songwriting is about making music that is strictly commercial. I'm just saying that most Paul McCartney songs I hear don't strike me as profound and meaningful in any real way.

I want to hold your haaa-aaaa-aaaand. I want to hold your haannnnnd.

Please.

Sure, his music did touch people on a common sense level, and when you combine that with his ability to write a catchy tune... that makes for good music. Of course, the 'common sense' kinds of issues that his songs address are hardly engaging. Eleanor Rigby tells a nice story (unpleasant, though that story is), but does it touch me in any way? Not really. None of his songs do. I feel like his songs lack sincerity, not that there's any way I can really prove that they do to any of you quantitatively, but that's just the impression that I get.

Now, whether Lennon's songs are 'sincere' or not, is another matter altogether. But, everyone's always jawing about McCartney, and I just can't stand him. *shrug*

Interestingly, I get bored with the Beatles catalog and love John Lennon's solo career. But I've always been a bit eccentric.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom