Beatles: Lennon vs McCartney - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:34 AM
McCartney wrote my favourite Beatles song ('I've Just Seen A Face') so I guess I'll go with him.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:25 AM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

namkcuR, very well written post there!

This thread makes me want to create a 2 disc set of Lennon & McCartney songs and listen to it all day long.

Old 10-29-2005, 04:15 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:34 PM
good post

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

Although, the melody of 'In My Life' is hardly anything to be ashamed of - it's on par, imo, with any melody McCartney ever wrote save for perhaps 'Yesterday'.

I always think "Here comes the sun" sounds totally like something McCartney would write.
George Harrison gets underrated in the band IMO, alone for that, Something and While my guitar gently weeps.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:38 PM   #49
New Yorker

I realise I'm more than a little late jumping in here...

The answer is RINGO!

Not really, but it usually shocks everyone in the room into silence, during the endless Lennon/Macca debates.

Seriously though - Lennon, George, then Macca. Ringo gets an honorary award for being Ringo, which solves that problem.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #50
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 11:34 AM
I prefer Lennon. His songs were more bold and edgy. He had less fear than McCartney. And Harrison is responsible for some of their finest moments.

Post Beatles - Harrison, McCartney, Lennon.....Ringo.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:21 PM   #51
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:34 AM
hey, don't be hating on Ringo

he was in Caveman
Old 12-14-2005, 01:40 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Of course McCartney wasn't a 'fluff artist'. That's just silly on the part of whoever said that. But he and Lennon each had skills and character traits that the other one lacked. It's not neccessarily about good and bad or better at and worse at. It's just differences they had between them.

The differences I'm thinking of are these:

Rawness

I've always felt that Lennon was rawer than McCartney, both in his songwriting and his singing. Far more often would you hear a Lennon-composed song that basically consisted of a guitar or two and a vocal track(or that kind of thing) than you would a McCartney track of that style(although when McCartney did, he managed to make some of the greatest songs in history i.e. 'Yesterday' and 'Blackbird'). Where his singing is concerned, the rawness lies in the fact that he, imo, was better at emoting with his voice than McCartney was. I think McCartney probably has a slightly wider range in his voice and perhaps is a better 'technical' singer, but I have always felt that Lennon could convey emotions and feelings, particular innocence, sadness, anger, bitterness, longing, reflectiveness, and nostalgia(and things like that) better than McCartney could.

Complexity

I think McCartney's songs were probably, for the most part, more complex than Lennon's, both in the music and in the arrangements. Take 'Eleanor Rigby' - there were orchestral elements to this song that demonstrate a certain complexity that perhaps McCartney was better at writing with. Same with Long And Winding Road, there were some orchestral elements there too. I don't off the top of my head recall if there are any Lennon songs with orchestral elements/arrangements, but think of songs like 'She's Leaving Home', 'Lovely Rita', 'You Never Give Me Your Money'(and various parts of the AR medley), and the aforementioned 'Eleanor Rigby' and 'The Long And Winding Road'; There's a certain complexity with regards to musical arrangements and musical layering that I think McCartney is probably the superior in.

Attitude

This has been echoed by a lot of people, and I can't think of a better way to say it, but, Lennon just seemed to have a certain 'edge' about him and his music that I've never really felt with McCartney. I have a theory as to what that 'edge' really was. In the late sixties and seventies, Lennon came off as sort of this peace-loving hippie-type, and in part because of that, I think he came off as more of a 'rock star' than McCartney. Of course this is all image, but the image is a reflection of what's inside, and what's inside is ultimately responsible for the music. What was inside Lennon, I think, was a hunger for political change, maybe even cultural change. I think he wanted push the envelope in life by challenging the way we think of the BIG things; religion, politics, life, self, etc. And I think that obviously had to carry over to his music. Now, when you write lyrics about that stuff, they were bound to be provacative and even prolific at times, and as a songwriter you want the music to match the words. Hence, just like he pushed the envelope in life, he pushed the envelope in the music too. The result of this comes through clearest, imo, when you look at the way the two did 'rock' music. It is my feeling that when McCartney did 'rock', it was more 50s-ish Jerry Lee Lewis style(though musically much more inventive) whereas when Lennon did 'rock', it was more 70s-AND-ONWARD Zeppelin-style, a style from which most of today's better rock music was spawned. That's my long-winded interpretation of their difference in attitude and what that Lennon 'edge' was about. As a sidenote, please understand that when I compare Mac to Lewis and Lennon to Zep, I am not saying they're cut from the exact same cloth, I'm just applying some general frames-of-reference to my very broad interpretations of two different styles.

Melodies/Ear

I think McCartney probably had a better musical ear than Lennon(though to write what Lennon wrote you still have to have an elite ear, I think). What I mean by this, just so we're all on the same page, is the ability to hear a piece of music and then hum/whistle/sing it with exceeding accurateness, and to recognize different notes and keys and the like without looking at sheet music. I think the better you are this, the better you will be at writing musical compositions. It's like, the best authors are almost certainly voracious readers themselves, right? The better a reader you are, the better a writer you will be, and the better a listener(in a technical sense) you are, the better a composer you could be. I'm saying all of this in a very general sense of course. Anyway, having a somewhat better musical ear is probably a big factor in why McCartney, in most peoples' eyes(I think) is superior in the melody-writing department. 'Yesterday' is arguably the greatest melody in the history of pop music. Although, the melody of 'In My Life' is hardly anything to be ashamed of - it's on par, imo, with any melody McCartney ever wrote save for perhaps 'Yesterday'.

Bottom Line

I think what this basically all comes down to is that, McCartney probably needed Lennon to add that 'edge' and innovation and ability to emote to his music, and I think Lennon probably needed McCartney to add that complexity and polish and at times layering to his music. Listen to Lennon's solo music. It is very raw most of the time, but also very emotive most of the time. I love it. Listen to McCartney's solo(or even Wings) music. It is probably more complex than Lennon's solo stuff, and sometimes maybe even more technically sound, but I don't think I've heard a McCartney solo or Wings song that carried the emotional punch of 'Jealous Guy' or 'Imagine' or 'Working Class Hero' or 'Mother'. They definitely needed each other, but while I love a lot of McCartney's Beatles songs, I will always prefer Lennon. I know it's cliche, but because of his ability to emote, and because of his desire(or what I percieve to be desire) to change the way people think with his music, I see him as more of an 'artist'(yes, in the most idealistic, romantic, perhaps naive way imaginable).

But they were both, without doubt, indisputably two of the greatest songwriters in the history of pop music.
WOW! That's awesome!

It's Lennon for me too.

Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78
I realise I'm more than a little late jumping in here...

The answer is RINGO!

Not really, but it usually shocks everyone in the room into silence, during the endless Lennon/Macca debates.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:24 PM   #53
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:34 AM
I have just heard Happiness is a Warm Gun for the first time, and I it
Old 12-14-2005, 08:05 PM   #54
Refugee

Local Time: 03:34 AM
I think lennon was better as a solo artist but i can't decide who wrote the better songs for the beatles ... they're all good
Old 12-14-2005, 11:12 PM   #55
Acrobat

Just for the record:

In my life was written by McCartney, the lyrics are Lennon's...

'Got to get you into my life' it's not about girls, it's about drugs...
Old 12-15-2005, 04:14 PM   #56
The Fly

I would go for Lennon,but to be fair and honest,his charisma +tragic end create a sense of deepness and rebelliousness,almost something mythical about him,which "poor"McCartney is no match for ,since opposing a dead legend ! As musicians ,it's debatable.....I would agree with namKcur.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:37 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Not even close, Lennon was just a godlike figure no matter what he was doing. His music is what made Beatles fans into fanatics, it has an emotional impact unlike any other artists in history.

Lastly, comparing the solo careers is just pathetic. While McCartney has about ten good to great albums, Lennon had like six bad songs after he left The Beatles. No contest.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:19 PM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Acrobat_Al
Just for the record:

In my life was written by McCartney, the lyrics are Lennon's...

'Got to get you into my life' it's not about girls, it's about drugs...
One of my favorite all time songs - a perfect blend of the two See, I get all weepy just thinking about it I think I need a hug
Old 12-16-2005, 06:29 PM   #59
War Child

Local Time: 04:34 PM
Paul Mc Cartney
Old 12-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:34 PM
Ringo was the real genius of the band, as evidenced by his post Beatles contributions to music.