Beatles: Lennon vs McCartney - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2005, 06:11 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
Some small corrections to Ruckman's list, since apparently all I do around here is wait for Beatles threads so I can correct shit:
Someone's gotta do it.

I think it was in Hard's Days Night and there was all the footage of the screaming fans at the concert, and they focused on one blonde girl just sitting there crying and calling out John's name. Gee, I wanted to be her

Old 10-28-2005, 07:05 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 01:26 AM
I go for Lennon. I think he was more expermintal with his songs, A day in the life, strawberry fields, magical mystery tour, revolution etc.

Old 10-28-2005, 07:40 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:26 PM
McCartney.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:28 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I go with McCartney too but it's hard to choose between them...
Old 10-28-2005, 09:58 AM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Gah, too damn hard! I'll go with my favorite though (Lennon).
Old 10-28-2005, 11:26 AM   #21
New Yorker

Death has been too kind to Lennon.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:10 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:26 PM
This is a joke, right? McCartney wrote some great songs & a shitload of cheesy ones while John created some stuff that, I don't know, REVOLUTIONIZED MUSIC. The fact that he gave us I Am the Walrus, Strawberry Fields, Tomorrow Never Knows, A Day in the Life, I Want You (She's So Heavy)...these are things that put him far above Paul, who's a great pop writer but not any better than Elton John & Bernie Taupin. Let's also not forget that John could do that pop or mellow stuff just as well as Paul; look at Imagine or Julia.

I can't believe we're having this discussion.

Also, John DOES have some great solo material. Plastic Ono Band is a staggering achievement, the most personal stuff John ever wrote and recorded. Imagine is great as well. Later albums like Walls & Bridges and Mind Games are mixed but you could say that about a lot of Dylan albums that are well worth buying.

There's a reason Paul gets a lot of flak--because he has written so many crappy songs. His ratio of good to bad material is staggering. I cringe nearly every time The Wings come on the radio. It's funny because Yoko is seen as someone who ruined John, but no one ever points the finger at Linda McCartney, who made a sappy Paul even sappier.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:42 PM   #23
Acrobat

I have them subcategorized as follows in order of songwriting style preference:

Witty, whimsical Lennon- My favorite, examples include She said, Norwegian Wood, I'm only Sleeping, Strawberry fields and tons of others.

In love Paul- Here, There and Everywhere. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head because it's the first Beatles song I learned to play on the guitar. Maybe the best pure ballad ever written.

Broken-harted Paul- Yesterday, for No One, etc.

Sneering Sarcastic Lennon- Piggy's, Dr. Robert, Walrus, etc. would be my least favorite if it weren't for the existence of...

Sappy, cheesy McCartney- Got to get you into my life! baddada, dada dah dah daaahh! Gawd, that sounds like something Chicago might do. I suppose Martin should be held equally responsible for this.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:40 PM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by OnFire
Sappy, cheesy McCartney- Got to get you into my life! baddada, dada dah dah daaahh! Gawd, that sounds like something Chicago might do.
You say that like it's a bad thing ... old school Chicago rocks!

I'm one of the people who thinks John Lennon is on the overrated side of the fence. Yeah, McCartney brought the cheesy, but Lennon's solo stuff? Not as great as some people think.

Neither alone were/are as great as they were together.

Edit: Okay, I realize this thread was supposed to be about the Beatles songs they wrote, so take my post as an off-topic comment.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:58 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

A hard choice for me, but I'll go with Lennon.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:20 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:26 PM
For melody and voice Paul is the superior of the two, in my humble opinion.

But as far as lyrics, no-fucking-body can or will ever write anything like Working Class Hero.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:55 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:26 AM
I replied earlier saying I prefer Lennon. But really... even though my favorite songs are all mostly Lennon's, I cannot resist McCartney's melody and singing style esp. in songs like We Can Work It Out, You Never Give Me Your Money and Oh Darling. They compliment each other, really. Can't picture one without the other.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:10 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
I replied earlier saying I prefer Lennon. But really... even though my favorite songs are all mostly Lennon's, I cannot resist McCartney's melody and singing style esp. in songs like We Can Work It Out, You Never Give Me Your Money and Oh Darling. They compliment each other, really. Can't picture one without the other.
"We Can Work It Out" is brilliant. The chorus in particular is one of the most brilliant choruses I've ever heard, musically and lyrically and delivery-wise:

Life is very short
and there's no ti-i-i-i-ime
for fussing and fighting my friend
I have always thought
that it's a cri-i-i-i-ime
so I will ask you once again

Obviously McCartney sings the verses, but I can't figure out who's singing the chorus, because the chorus has such a different sound and feel from the rest of the song, it's much darker and much more trippy.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:03 PM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
This is a joke, right? McCartney wrote some great songs & a shitload of cheesy ones while John created some stuff that, I don't know, REVOLUTIONIZED MUSIC. The fact that he gave us I Am the Walrus, Strawberry Fields, Tomorrow Never Knows, A Day in the Life, I Want You (She's So Heavy)...these are things that put him far above Paul, who's a great pop writer but not any better than Elton John & Bernie Taupin. Let's also not forget that John could do that pop or mellow stuff just as well as Paul; look at Imagine or Julia.

I can't believe we're having this discussion.

What a pile of shit.

Paul was responsible for a lot of the trippier stuff on Tomorrow Never Knows and Strawberrry Fields...I fail to see how he was any less experimental than John, and for my money he was a little better with a melody and a MUCH better singer. Also, don't forget he came up with Eleanor Rigby and Helter Skelter which were very experimental for their time..it was he who came up with the great Sgt. Pepper concept and propped the band up during Let It Be (John was pretty weak on this album) and Abbey Road periods(he basically masterminded the immense medley with George Martin). Its just over-simplifying things to say John=experimental, a real artist, McCartney= a mere fluff artist..but then I'd expect such pretentious musings on this site.

As for their solo careers..neither did much for me there.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:11 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Add "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" to the Paul list.