Beatles Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
The Beatles are likely the most influential pop/rock band of all time. Personally I think that every pop/rock musician today who records pop/rock music and makes money from it should thank the Beatles for their careers. The Beatles changed everything. Their music transcended the arena of music, it became cultural. Elvis was the first rock star, and he was the king, sure, but when we talk about rock music, there is simply, before the Beatles and after the Beatles. Whether or not you dig their music is one thing - I personally think it is astonishing how good they were and how much music of that calibre they created in just a seven year span - but you cannot deny their extraordinary influence on all pop/rock music.

It is for that reason that I felt the need to start a Beatles appreciation thread.

Beatles :drool:

the beatles were my first favorite band. much like the folks who frequent EYKIW and never come in here are with u2, they were the ONLY band for me for a good 6 years. i listened to the local oldies station, but the only music i owned were beatles and post-beatles solo CDs plus the vinyl i've since inherited (or "borrowed" :wink: ) from my parents.

music is 100% personal preference, but in my eyes anyone who says "i don't like the beatles" will always be wrong. i'm not saying i'll pick a fight with someone who's not a fan, i'm just saying it's not up for debate with me. they were a great band, and you're not going to convince me otherwise.

namkcuR said:
Personally I think that every pop/rock musician today who records pop/rock music and makes money from it should thank the Beatles for their careers.

Tell me about it...every single one of my favorite bands either: a) sounds similar to the Beatles; b) has worked with one or more of the members; or c) has referenced them in their songs. In some way, shape, or form, they were all influenced by the Beatles, and so I have to thank the Beatles for helping inspire them to become musicians and form the bands that I love today :).

Course, that's not the only reason I appreciate this band...I like their music, too. They have some truly classic songs-incredible-sounding music, some amazing lyrics, and some true talent at crafting some great pop songs (sometimes creating a bunch of those songs within, like, a day, which is pretty amazing). There's one oldies music channel we get here at home that plays their songs constantly, and I've been hearing their music, along with the music from all four members solo, since I was pretty much a baby.

I remember a few years back, my family went to see a Beatles tribute band. They were pretty good-the drummer even gave my sister his drumstick :D. I think they liked seeing newer Beatles fans there :). It was a fun concert.

Anywho, so yeah, Beatles=uber cool :up:.

Angela

:bow:
The only band IMO that can really say they changed the music. Made famous the 4 man rock band line up, and made famous the whole songwriting principle that even now most of music is based on.

Ah, the Beatles took a while for a thread to start here didn't it

The Beatles need no appreciation, it's automatic. Not only are they awesome and legendary, rock music as we know it would not have existed if not for them.

Popmartijn said:

You forgot the definite article and you have to leave out the question mark. And yes, The Who is also a good band. But they're no The Beatles! :wink:
True, they're no Beatles... but still awsome :drool:

My brother dispises the beatles :madspit: He says he hates them... but he does like one or two songs. Everyone I talk to that say they hate them always seem to like at least one of their songs lol. I actually played the Beatles to my friend the other day and she said "THIS IS THE BEATLES?! I LOVE THIS SONG!" And she said for like the next five songs after that lol. She was a fan and didnt even know haha. I've only just recently really really got into them... I've always liked them... but now I LOVE THEM! I even changed my wallpaper to them :heart: And I'm listening to them now :love:

I have to ask this though, who is all your guy's fave Bealte? I don't think I can choose :| But I'll make myself............................................................................................................................ ok... cant I'll just say there's a tie between George Harrison and John Lennon. And it's not cause they look good (cause in my opinion they dont lol) but they are just so... awsome... I mean Harrison is like one of the greatest guitarists EVER... and Lennon has an awsome voice! His voice... I can't explain it... it's just great... :bow:

And my fave song... right now... is... I am The Walrus... but I also love A Day In The Life and Lucy in the sky with Diamonds...

I could go on forever about them!!! But I'll stop for now anyway :D

TheWho4Life said:
My brother dispises the beatles :madspit: He says he hates them

I'm curious as to how somebody could hate this band's music. But eh, to each their own, I guess.

Originally posted by TheWho4Life
ok... cant I'll just say there's a tie between George Harrison and John Lennon. And it's not cause they look good (cause in my opinion they dont lol) but they are just so... awsome... I mean Harrison is like one of the greatest guitarists EVER... and Lennon has an awsome voice! His voice... I can't explain it... it's just great... :bow:

I think I have to agree with you on those two. First off, George gets bonus points for working with Tom Petty (another artist I love) in the Traveling Wilburys-and yeah, his guitar playing is pretty recognizable :). Second, out of all the four guys' solo careers, I like what I've heard by George and John the most (matter of fact, got a George Harrison song on a CD last night that I'd heard recently...I remember hearing it around the house on occasion when I was little and completely forgot about it until just recently). Third, as far as politics go, I can side with John on a lot of stuff, and George had such an optimistic outlook on life overall and everything. I like that. Paul and Ringo do have their good things about them, too, but yeah, I'd go with the two you picked (heh, funny thing about those two...it's seriously downright eerie how much their sons look like them (and in John's son Julian's case, sounds just like him, too)).

And my fave song... right now... is... I am The Walrus... but I also love A Day In The Life and Lucy in the sky with Diamonds...

It's insanely hard for me to pick favorites (my dad loves "A Day In The Life" :)), but a couple of their songs that I will always love are "Penny Lane" and "Eight Days A Week".

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
I'm curious as to how somebody could hate this band's music. But eh, to each their own, I guess.
I'm curious to know too. Well... actually my brother says The Beatles are "over rated" which, yea, they probably are... but who cares if they're over rated, their music is awsomely great.

Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel Second, out of all the four guys' solo careers, I like what I've heard by George and John the most
I've heard some of John's solo stuff, but I've never heard George's solo stuff... I'm gonn have to here pretty soon :D

Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel Paul and Ringo do have their good things about them
:yes: but I do love them too... its just George and John... are... yea :D

Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel It's insanely hard for me to pick favorites (my dad loves "A Day In The Life" :)), but a couple of their songs that I will always love are "Penny Lane" and "Eight Days A Week".
Eight Days a Week :heart: All their songs are so groovy!

...I hope I quoted everything right... *crosses fingers*

Rubber Soul -- Revolver -- Sgt. Peppers was their greatest era IMO. I don't think any musical artists will ever reach the level of success The Beatles did. Favorite Songs - Eleanor Rigby, Day in the Life, For No One, Norwegian Wood, Hello Goodbye

TheWho4Life said:
I'm curious to know too. Well... actually my brother says The Beatles are "over rated" which, yea, they probably are... but who cares if they're over rated, their music is awsomely great.

I've never understood the whole "overrated/underrated" argument. I don't automatically hate a band because everybody around me loves them, nor do I automatically like a band because nobody else has heard of them. Any bands I like, I like because they make some great music and I can relate to what they have to say. That's all.

And even so, okay, for the sake of argument, yeah, the Beatles get praised a lot...but I'd say they deserve to, because of how much influence they've had. Every single thing is compared to them...whenever an artist has a big album, it's referred to as their Sgt. Pepper. Whenever mass hysteria breaks out when an artist comes to a place, what do they say it was similar to? Yep, Beatlemania. Anytime a record the Beatles made is broken, it's big news. And considering how many artists name them as one of their main influences...well...yeah, it's no wonder they're going to get a lot of praise. For god's sake, they had that 1 CD out a few years back...just a collection of their biggest hits that most people already have in various other forms...it was still a top-selling CD.

I've heard some of John's solo stuff, but I've never heard George's solo stuff... I'm gonn have to here pretty soon :D

Indeed. A few songs to suggest to start ya off with: "Got My Mind Set On You" (I understand that this is actually a cover of an older song, but still great nonetheless, and heh, this was on my mom's mix tapes all the time, I remember hearing this song constantly when I was little), "Blow Away", "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)", "what Is Life?", "My Sweet Lord". Give those few a listen, I think you'll like 'em :).

And you did fine with the quoting, by the way :D.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

I've never understood the whole "overrated/underrated" argument. I don't automatically hate a band because everybody around me loves them, nor do I automatically like a band because nobody else has heard of them. Any bands I like, I like because they make some great music and I can relate to what they have to say. That's all.
Why would somebody hate a band cause everybody likes them? That's insane lol. I like the bands I like for the same reasons as you... :)

Moonlit_Angel said:
Indeed. A few songs to suggest to start ya off with: "Got My Mind Set On You" (I understand that this is actually a cover of an older song, but still great nonetheless, and heh, this was on my mom's mix tapes all the time, I remember hearing this song constantly when I was little), "Blow Away", "Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)", "what Is Life?", "My Sweet Lord". Give those few a listen, I think you'll like 'em :).
Thanx for the suggestions! :D I'll give 'em a listen :hyper:

Moonlit_Angel said:
And you did fine with the quoting, by the way :D.

Angela
Yea, I was surprised! I didnt even have to go back and edit :lol:

It's impossible to overrate this band. Even their big fans don't pretend that any of them were the best musicians (although Paul's bass playing is underrated by many). But from an experimentation and pop songwriting standpoint, they have no equals. Brian Wilson, while a great composer and arranger, had nowhere near the range of Lennon & McCartney. Dylan may have opened the door for them lyrically, but musically they went where no pop band had gone before. They are also proof of why drugs are essential to our culture, like it or not.

Favorite Beatles album: The White Album
Favorite Beatle: John (not even close in my opinion--the guy is one of the most important and influential PEOPLE in modern history)
Favorite songs: Happiness is a Warm Gun, I Want You (She's So Heavy), Revolution, I'm So Tired, I Am the Walrus, Rocky Raccoon, She Came In Through the Bathroom Window, Getting Better, Ticket to Ride, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Tell Me Why, Fixing a Hole, Tomorrow Never Knows, No Reply, Not Guilty (a Harrison unreleased track from White Album sessions)

Anyone who's only heard a little solo Lennon, I'd advise you to dig a little deeper. While Plastic Ono Band and Imagine are probably his best, Walls and Bridges has some amazing songs, and so does Mind Games.

George Harrison's All Things Must Pass is on a level that few musicians and songwriters could ever hope to reach.

Paul McCartney's post-Beatles career is better left undiscussed. The Wings are generic 70's rock, and the solo albums have moments of quality in between mass amounts of typical McCartney cheese.

laz

Last edited:
IWasBored said:
the beatles were my first favorite band. much like the folks who frequent EYKIW and never come in here are with u2, they were the ONLY band for me for a good 6 years.

I had to laugh bitterly when I read this, because I'd just been thinking: If this thread was in EYKIW, someone would be sure to point out that George Harrison once said U2 were overrated, and that would probably be enough to turn it into a bash-the-Beatles thread.

Although to be fair, it was on the (usually) calmer and mellower atU2.com forum that someone actually started a thread called 'I'm glad George Harrison is dead' when he died--specifically for the aforementioned reason.

That kind of garbage makes me ashamed to be a U2 fan. What the hell does whether or not someone likes U2 have to do with their human worth and respectability?

Umm...anyway, back to the topic, I love the Beatles too. Anyone else remember the cheesy cartoon show? It was in reruns when I was a kid, and I loved it.

'Every music lover must decide if he is a Beatles or Stones man, just as every literature lover must decide if he is a Tolstoy or Dostoevsky man. I myself was always a Dostoevsky-Stones man...' -- Salman Rushdie

yolland said:

I had to laugh bitterly when I read this, because I'd just been thinking: If this thread was in EYKIW, someone would be sure to point out that George Harrison once said U2 were overrated, and that would probably be enough to turn it into a bash-the-Beatles thread.

That's part of the reason why I don't visit EYKIW much anymore.

As for the Fab Four:

:heart:appreciates:heart:

:lmao: I just got to thinkin, if the backstreet boys thread made it to 5 pages long and this thread doesnt I'm gonna go nuts...

:|

In other words please, talk about the beatles lmao!

yolland said:
Umm...anyway, back to the topic, I love the Beatles too. Anyone else remember the cheesy cartoon show? It was in reruns when I was a kid, and I loved it.

That show ruled! I'm surprised it's not on TV anymore, especially when we have a whole Cartoon Network. I'm guessing that whoever owns the rights doesn't want it released, which is strange.

That thing would sell like hotcakes if it were on DVD.

Anyone think U2 is the only other band that would be really funny as cartoons on a regular show? They all have such distinct personalities like The Beatles. I think it would be hilarious. The Edge could always get them out of tricky situations by inventing something on the spot like McGuyver, Larry could beat up the bad guys or ride his motorcycle...

I'll stop now.

laz

A U2 cartoon...:hmm:... That'd be rather interesting, indeed. And the Simpsons episode they were on was a funny one...if they kept up that kind of humor and everything...it could be fun :p.

TheWho4Life said:
Why would somebody hate a band cause everybody likes them?

'Cause in their minds, anything that's popular must automatically suck or something along that line.

That's insane lol.

Yes, yes, it is. They miss out on some really good music as a result of that, too, which is a shame.

I like the bands I like for the same reasons as you... :)

Cool :).

Thanx for the suggestions! :D I'll give 'em a listen :hyper:

You're welcome. Hope you like the songs :).

Yea, I was surprised! I didnt even have to go back and edit :lol:

Rock on :up:.

Angela

TheWho4Life said:
:lmao: I just got to thinkin, if the backstreet boys thread made it to 5 pages long and this thread doesnt I'm gonna go nuts...

Oh, this is DEPRESSING, the backstreet wanks get 5 pages……………

The greatest band ever, their influence in modern music is unquestionable.

Even the photography of the Beatles other bands copy. Look at the CD cover of U2’s “7”, and a Beatles photo.

u27.bmp
[/IMG]

Beat1.bmp
[/IMG]

Haha...that's a cute picture :p!

Down Under said:
Even the photography of the Beatles other bands copy. Look at the CD cover of U2’s “7”, and a Beatles photo.

u27.bmp
[/IMG]

Beat1.bmp
[/IMG]

Heh, weird :). Wasn't there some other band once that had the back of their album cover or something look very similar to the Beatles' one for the album that had "Help!" on it or something like that?

And hey, let's not forget the Rutles (hope I spelled that right). I've never really seen their parody in full and stuff, just heard about them, but there's another point for the influence these guys had and everything.

Angela

Ehhhhhh, the Red Hot Chilli Peppers walked across Abbey Road totally naked with a sock over their manhood’s. :ohmy:

Oh the Rutles, third greatest band after the Beatles and U2.
In real life, George Harrison had a lot to do with the Rutles.
Rutles.bmp
[/IMG]

Down Under said:

Oh the Rutles, third greatest band after the Beatles and U2.
In real life, George Harrison had a lot to do with the Rutles.
[

The Rutles rock,, I have a cd with the Rutles... Funny movie, and kick-ass soundtrack :wink:

The Beatles will forever be the most important band in the world. Nobody will surpass them, because they did everything right IMO.

Though Paul and John have both released some good solo material, then i think George Harrisons all things must pass is the best solo record from any of the members.

Attachments

• beatles1.jpg
    beatles1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 27
DAMN, this thread is dieing after just two pages.

Thought I would share this song with you Beatle lovers.

It is George presenting a half written “Something” to the band with John and Paul helping with the words.

Goes for about 9 minutes and is fascinating.

http://s25. .com/d.aspx?id=18DTMAHVJ163F0OX48IL3H0FMS

lazarus said:
Anyone who's only heard a little solo Lennon, I'd advise you to dig a little deeper. While Plastic Ono Band and Imagine are probably his best, Walls and Bridges has some amazing songs, and so does Mind Games.

laz

I've always loved Walls and Bridges. Plastic Ono Band will always be one of my favourite albums ever though. A very stripped down album, often with just a single electric guitar, Bass and Ringo on drums. The song "God", which was the inspiration for "God Part 2" sums up the death of the 60s beautifully. For anyone who only knows solo Lennon for "Imagine", "Starting over" and "Woman" give it a listen-It's amazing, though not always a comfortable listen. Lennon was just coming off Primal scream therapy which was pretty much about screaming yourself back to the womb and brought about probably the most personal songs he ever wrote. I seem to remember it was voted the most depressing album ever a few years ago-A masterpiece though.

Back
Top Bottom