Beatles Appreciation Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2005, 10:47 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:04 AM
Beatles Appreciation Thread

The Beatles are likely the most influential pop/rock band of all time. Personally I think that every pop/rock musician today who records pop/rock music and makes money from it should thank the Beatles for their careers. The Beatles changed everything. Their music transcended the arena of music, it became cultural. Elvis was the first rock star, and he was the king, sure, but when we talk about rock music, there is simply, before the Beatles and after the Beatles. Whether or not you dig their music is one thing - I personally think it is astonishing how good they were and how much music of that calibre they created in just a seven year span - but you cannot deny their extraordinary influence on all pop/rock music.

It is for that reason that I felt the need to start a Beatles appreciation thread.

Beatles

Old 02-20-2005, 10:55 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 01:04 AM
I love the Beatles too! They will always be #1 to me.

Old 02-20-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:04 AM
the beatles were my first favorite band. much like the folks who frequent EYKIW and never come in here are with u2, they were the ONLY band for me for a good 6 years. i listened to the local oldies station, but the only music i owned were beatles and post-beatles solo CDs plus the vinyl i've since inherited (or "borrowed" ) from my parents.

music is 100% personal preference, but in my eyes anyone who says "i don't like the beatles" will always be wrong. i'm not saying i'll pick a fight with someone who's not a fan, i'm just saying it's not up for debate with me. they were a great band, and you're not going to convince me otherwise.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:59 PM   #4
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:04 AM
Who?
Old 02-21-2005, 01:33 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:04 AM
Re: Beatles Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Personally I think that every pop/rock musician today who records pop/rock music and makes money from it should thank the Beatles for their careers.
Tell me about it...every single one of my favorite bands either: a) sounds similar to the Beatles; b) has worked with one or more of the members; or c) has referenced them in their songs. In some way, shape, or form, they were all influenced by the Beatles, and so I have to thank the Beatles for helping inspire them to become musicians and form the bands that I love today .

Course, that's not the only reason I appreciate this band...I like their music, too. They have some truly classic songs-incredible-sounding music, some amazing lyrics, and some true talent at crafting some great pop songs (sometimes creating a bunch of those songs within, like, a day, which is pretty amazing). There's one oldies music channel we get here at home that plays their songs constantly, and I've been hearing their music, along with the music from all four members solo, since I was pretty much a baby.

I remember a few years back, my family went to see a Beatles tribute band. They were pretty good-the drummer even gave my sister his drumstick . I think they liked seeing newer Beatles fans there . It was a fun concert.

Anywho, so yeah, Beatles=uber cool .

Angela
Old 02-21-2005, 01:49 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:04 AM

The only band IMO that can really say they changed the music. Made famous the 4 man rock band line up, and made famous the whole songwriting principle that even now most of music is based on.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:24 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
Who?
You forgot the definite article and you have to leave out the question mark. And yes, The Who is also a good band. But they're no The Beatles!
Old 02-21-2005, 06:01 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ah, the Beatles took a while for a thread to start here didn't it
Old 02-21-2005, 06:20 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

The Beatles need no appreciation, it's automatic. Not only are they awesome and legendary, rock music as we know it would not have existed if not for them.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:19 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

You forgot the definite article and you have to leave out the question mark. And yes, The Who is also a good band. But they're no The Beatles!
True, they're no Beatles... but still awsome

My brother dispises the beatles He says he hates them... but he does like one or two songs. Everyone I talk to that say they hate them always seem to like at least one of their songs lol. I actually played the Beatles to my friend the other day and she said "THIS IS THE BEATLES?! I LOVE THIS SONG!" And she said for like the next five songs after that lol. She was a fan and didnt even know haha. I've only just recently really really got into them... I've always liked them... but now I LOVE THEM! I even changed my wallpaper to them And I'm listening to them now

I have to ask this though, who is all your guy's fave Bealte? I don't think I can choose But I'll make myself............................................................................................................................ ok... cant I'll just say there's a tie between George Harrison and John Lennon. And it's not cause they look good (cause in my opinion they dont lol) but they are just so... awsome... I mean Harrison is like one of the greatest guitarists EVER... and Lennon has an awsome voice! His voice... I can't explain it... it's just great...

And my fave song... right now... is... I am The Walrus... but I also love A Day In The Life and Lucy in the sky with Diamonds...

I could go on forever about them!!! But I'll stop for now anyway
Old 02-21-2005, 10:09 AM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:04 AM
Old 02-21-2005, 12:37 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheWho4Life
My brother dispises the beatles He says he hates them
I'm curious as to how somebody could hate this band's music. But eh, to each their own, I guess.

Quote:
ok... cant I'll just say there's a tie between George Harrison and John Lennon. And it's not cause they look good (cause in my opinion they dont lol) but they are just so... awsome... I mean Harrison is like one of the greatest guitarists EVER... and Lennon has an awsome voice! His voice... I can't explain it... it's just great...
I think I have to agree with you on those two. First off, George gets bonus points for working with Tom Petty (another artist I love) in the Traveling Wilburys-and yeah, his guitar playing is pretty recognizable . Second, out of all the four guys' solo careers, I like what I've heard by George and John the most (matter of fact, got a George Harrison song on a CD last night that I'd heard recently...I remember hearing it around the house on occasion when I was little and completely forgot about it until just recently). Third, as far as politics go, I can side with John on a lot of stuff, and George had such an optimistic outlook on life overall and everything. I like that. Paul and Ringo do have their good things about them, too, but yeah, I'd go with the two you picked (heh, funny thing about those two...it's seriously downright eerie how much their sons look like them (and in John's son Julian's case, sounds just like him, too)).

Quote:
And my fave song... right now... is... I am The Walrus... but I also love A Day In The Life and Lucy in the sky with Diamonds...
It's insanely hard for me to pick favorites (my dad loves "A Day In The Life" ), but a couple of their songs that I will always love are "Penny Lane" and "Eight Days A Week".

Angela
Old 02-21-2005, 12:43 PM   #13
Refugee

Beatles are beatles , and White album is the best
Old 02-21-2005, 12:51 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
I'm curious as to how somebody could hate this band's music. But eh, to each their own, I guess.
I'm curious to know too. Well... actually my brother says The Beatles are "over rated" which, yea, they probably are... but who cares if they're over rated, their music is awsomely great.

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel Second, out of all the four guys' solo careers, I like what I've heard by George and John the most
I've heard some of John's solo stuff, but I've never heard George's solo stuff... I'm gonn have to here pretty soon

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel Paul and Ringo do have their good things about them
but I do love them too... its just George and John... are... yea

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel It's insanely hard for me to pick favorites (my dad loves "A Day In The Life" ), but a couple of their songs that I will always love are "Penny Lane" and "Eight Days A Week".
Eight Days a Week All their songs are so groovy!

...I hope I quoted everything right... *crosses fingers*
Old 02-21-2005, 01:40 PM   #15
War Child

Rubber Soul -- Revolver -- Sgt. Peppers was their greatest era IMO. I don't think any musical artists will ever reach the level of success The Beatles did. Favorite Songs - Eleanor Rigby, Day in the Life, For No One, Norwegian Wood, Hello Goodbye