BBC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheQuiet1

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Rather than create separate threads I thought I'd just make the one big one.

First thing: Anyone else think the BBC Autumn schedule looks fantastic? Waking the Dead :drool: , something with Shirley Henderson in it, another thing with Tamsin Greig in it (2 of the best UK actresses out there in my ill-informed opinion) AND a great advert for it all with Arcade Fire as the soundtrack (first time I've actually heard an AF song, good but could rapidly get annoying)!! :hyper:

Second thing: If the BBC insists on spending our hard-earned licence fee cash on new thingemajigs to replace the dancers they've got at the moment can they at least go for something classy that isn't going to look outdated in a year's time??? The BBC logo they've got at the moment I think still looks good because it looks so simple and stark and I think it'd still look good in 20 years time too. Unlike say, the one they had before that.

Anyway, I've always liked the BBC's motto ("And Nation shall speak Peace unto Nation") so why not have thingemajigs that incoporate that in some way? And bring back the globe! (But NOT, I repeat, NOT that hot air balloon please!!)

Just wanted to say those things. Feel free to turn this thread into anything Beeb related.

I liked the guys who jumped across the buildings and the acrobats/gymnasts who rolled down the curtain thingy. French and Saunders did a spoof of that a few years ago.:wink:

^Ha! Now I have the Benny Hill music playing in my head!!:laugh:

I remember that sketch. Loved it when Jen tries to kick someone's door down as part of a move and that woman who played Carol in The Brittas Empire and was in Ab Fab opens the door and says, "What the bloody hell do you think you're doing?!"

^There used to be about 10 women running - he seemed to pick them up as he ran along.:wink:
You have got to check out the carry on films Ms Mofo - i think you will find them very funny also..

TheQuiet1 said:
I remember that sketch. Loved it when Jen tries to kick someone's door down as part of a move and that woman who played Carol in The Brittas Empire and was in Ab Fab opens the door and says, "What the bloody hell do you think you're doing?!"

They do some great spoofs - I think they did one of Misery that was very funny. It is a shame they only do stuff at Christmas...

The Brittas Empire also :up:

Tilli said:
^There used to be about 10 women running - he seemed to pick them up as he ran along.:wink:

Yes siree bob ... he was a 'fast' little mother ... wasn't he ?? :wink:

Originally posted by Tilli
You have got to check out the carry on films Ms Mofo - i think you will find them very funny also..

Yeah, you and 747 have made that very clear for me to do so ... :up:
I just would like to know what I'm 'in-store for' before I buy them !! :eyebrow:
Since I've never seen them, what are they about anyway ?? :shrug:

TheQuiet1 said:

Carol with her kids living under the desk! :lmao: Only in a British sitcom could what is effectively child abuse be used as a joke.

Ha! You may be right! I haven't seen this show for years. The Quiet1 do you know if it is repeated on any of the sky channels? I want to watch it again now!

I think Ricky Gervais is skilled at making 'near the mark' jokes about difficult issues such as child abuse - he did one on Animals right at the end which was funny but probably very wrong also!

MsMofoGone said:
Yeah, you and 747 have made that very clear for me to do so ... :up:
I just would like to know what I'm 'in-store for' before I buy them !! :eyebrow:
Since I've never seen them, what are they about anyway ?? :shrug:

They are very cheeky comedies, with lots of double entendres and innuendos. There are around 30 films of the type - all with 'Carry On' in the title. They are basically the same cast of actors in different settings - for example Carry On Doctor was set in a hospital ward or Carry On up The Jungle is set in the jungle etc.. They are classic British comedies, so maybe they didn't do so well in America - I don't know. However, I think they share alot in common with Benny Hill as they are cheeky and funny!

You've got to get some Carry On films!! They're great. They'll all set in different situations and as they were made on a time span of over 25 years the humour changes a little the 'younger' they get. The first ones were quite gentle humour (think Ealing) but were a bit cheekier (read as literally so for the shower scene in Carry On Constable), the mid-period ones were what you'd call saucy seaside postcard humour then the later ones were downright smutty with a lot of them ignoring the rules of comedy in a bit to shock an increasingly uninnocent audience.

Any one of the films scripted by Hudis or Rothwell are generally very, very good and a few of the later ones that weren't written by either of them are also regarded by critics as quite good.

~Closet Carry On fan~

Tilli said:

Carry On Doctor ... was set in a hospital ward

Carry On Up The Jungle ... is set in the jungle

You have got my curiosity at an 'all-time' high now ... :hyper:
Just hearing the titles of these two made me 'chuckle' ... :laugh:
Since I already love Benny, I now wonder what this show is
gonna do to me ... :ohmy:
** rolls over on the floor ** :lmao: :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom