Bastard Township Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gabekg5.jpg

Axver said:
Hey, Maj., on a totally different note, what do you make of the ongoing Tibetan situation?

Honestly? I haven't been keeping up with it, but Beijing should go screw itself. Threatening monks is just despicable. Attacking them earns Beijing a special circle in Hell.

Beijing have no good reason as far as I can see for doing what they're doing. In the long run, they'd be better off giving Tibet autonomy - of course, it establishes a precedent, but look at Hong Kong. It's a lose-lose situation for Beijing, a lose-win situation for Tibet and death to innocent civilians and holy men.

mysterious_jen said:
5 kinds of SUPERWINNING AWESOME wonder if gabe will ever see any of this stuff?

I was thinking of dropping him a PM or something, but I figured he wouldn't understand it anyway.

major_panic said:

Honestly? I haven't been keeping up with it, but Beijing should go screw itself. Threatening monks is just despicable. Attacking them earns Beijing a special circle in Hell.

Beijing have no good reason as far as I can see for doing what they're doing. In the long run, they'd be better off giving Tibet autonomy - of course, it establishes a precedent, but look at Hong Kong. It's a lose-lose situation for Beijing, a lose-win situation for Tibet and death to innocent civilians and holy men.

Yeah. It seems to me this is a huge drain of resources just to pointlessly fight the tide. I have to wonder how things will go long-term, though. Will China be willing to make concessions, or is it just going to end in a miserable bloodbath?

Axver said:

Yeah. It seems to me this is a huge drain of resources just to pointlessly fight the tide. I have to wonder how things will go long-term, though. Will China be willing to make concessions, or is it just going to end in a miserable bloodbath?

you think they would fucking let it go, and no other naton would dare impose sanctions or stand up to china to help end it .
:|

Axver said:

Tiananmen Square is my prediction, although if Beijing is sensible they'll avoid more bloodshed and come to a peaceful resolution (somehow).

The Sad Punk said:

Yeah, it's based from Superbad, a pretty lame movie that had Michael Cera's talents wasted on it.

Meh, I liked the film, but it had a lot of pacing problems, and the script wasn't really groundbreaking or anything. It received a lot of wasted hype.

But the license was funny. It's always been funny. The crappy photo that was clearly shot in a basement makes it for me.

LemonMelon said:

Meh, I liked the film, but it had a lot of pacing problems, and the script wasn't really groundbreaking or anything. It received a lot of wasted hype.

But the license was funny. It's always been funny. The crappy photo that was clearly shot in a basement makes it for me.

I've not seen the movie, I just lol'd cause of the licence's quality and what it implied...

mysterious_jen said:

you think they would fucking let it go, and no other naton would dare impose sanctions or stand up to china to help end it .
:|

I don't see the point in clinging to territory you clearly struggle to control or don't control at all, and just lose energy and money for little gain except to say "OMG LOOK AT OUR LARGE TERRITORY!"

See: Serbia clinging to Kosovo.

Axver said:

I remember when that was ... LMP's? sig and I didn't get it then either.

I wasn't aware anybody actually went and saw that movie.

It wasn't funny in the least, even though Cera is awesome. I'm a little concerned about the senses of humour of a lot Americans. Particularly those that think the funniest thing to come out of the UK is Ricky Gervais.

I mean it's cool for you to think that way but this is just my 2 cents, kthx

Axver said:

I don't see the point in clinging to territory you clearly struggle to control or don't control at all, and just lose energy and money for little gain except to say "OMG LOOK AT OUR LARGE TERRITORY!"

And at the other end of the scale New Zealand is doing everything we can to cast off Tuvalu

Axver said:

Remember the Long March back in 1949? Yeah, that's why.

And... that's probably summed up the attitudes of the Chinese government pretty well, I'd say.

LemonMelon said:

It had hype? It sounded like just another trashy Hollywood movie for shallow teen guys.

I know only one person who saw it, because the movie they want to see was cancelled or something. They said it was the worst, tackiest movie they'd ever seen in my life. I said "you'd seen the ads on TV; why didn't you just go home? You didn't HAVE to see a movie."

major_panic said:

I've not seen the movie, I just lol'd cause of the licence's quality and what it implied...

Good. That means the joke stood by itself. Even if I didn't write most of it.

coolian2 said:

And at the other end of the scale New Zealand is doing everything we can to cast off Tuvalu

I think you mean Tokelau.

Tokelau's fucked if they go independent though.

Axver said:

It had hype? It sounded like just another trashy Hollywood movie for shallow teen guys.

I know only one person who saw it, because the movie they want to see was cancelled or something. They said it was the worst, tackiest movie they'd ever seen in my life. I said "you'd seen the ads on TV; why didn't you just go home? You didn't HAVE to see a movie."

Different cultures, Ax. It was a huge hit on this side of the pond, and I've spent the last 6 months hearing it referenced on a regular basis.

I saw it on the internet for free, BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom