Bass in songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelofHarlem01

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Sometimes I have a hard time hearing the bass in music..not so much with U2 songs but in a lot of others. I review different bands occasionally and I feel bad cos sometimes I can't decipher the bass from the rest of the music unless i just completely block everything else in the song out, it's annoying :reject: Anyone else have a hard time hearing it? Or maybe it's supposed to blend in that well lol?

That's where EQ can be your friend.

Nice speakers and jacked up bottom end, you'll be able to FEEL the bass guitar in many songs.

It's also better to listen through headphones, if you're listening to music on your computer. I can hardly ever hear the bass in songs if I'm just using my laptop speakers.

GibsonGirl said:
It's also better to listen through headphones, if you're listening to music on your computer. I can hardly ever hear the bass in songs if I'm just using my laptop speakers.

I thought this was a thread about naming songs with great bass and I thought you would've mentioned Sheep, One Of These Days, Another Brick and Run Like Hell already! :wink:

love_u2_adam said:
ohhh I'm a bass player...i can hear bass in a lot of songs......i can hear it in Zeppelin..does that make me weird:huh:

No. The bass in Zeppelin songs is usually brilliant.

John Paul Jones is a thunder god.

On the topic of gods and Zep, while thrifting today I came across an old, clearly unlicensed Zep shirt with a skelton army on the front, and one giant skeleton holding a giant hammer. It read 'HAMMER OF THE GODS'

goooood stuff

MrBrau1 said:
Fav Bass Song:

Bonin' In The Boneyard: Fishbone.

Hell. During the solo someone yells "funky ass bass."

:up: I went to see Fishbone with a bass playing boyfriend and still I have trouble picking out bass in songs :tsk:

Zootlesque said:

I thought this was a thread about naming songs with great bass and I thought you would've mentioned Sheep, One Of These Days, Another Brick and Run Like Hell already! :wink:

If it was one of those threads, I would have. :sexywink: I've been in love with the bass in San Tropez lately.

I never could get into A Pillow Of Winds. :( There are plenty of PF songs with similar feels to APOW that I far prefer.

PS, AngelofHarlem01, if you're still having trouble hearing the bass in songs, please go and buy Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

GibsonGirl said:

PS, AngelofHarlem01, if you're still having trouble hearing the bass in songs, please go and buy Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

:lol: or any RHCP album, really!

Californication :love:

I knew you wouldn't like APOW... cos it's Gilmour! Correct? :angry:

Zootlesque said:

I knew you wouldn't like APOW... cos it's Gilmour! Correct? :angry:

Incorrect. :wink: I think Mr Gilmour wrote some crap songs, but he did write the scattered brilliant one here and there. As for APOW, it just doesn't move me. Not even Waters' involvement with the lyrics could save it. Childhood's End, on the other hand, moves me very much. I hate Gilmour's lovey-dovey songs.

Back on topic, Californication has some great bass in it. The solo in Otherside. :drool:

MrBrau1 said:
"Suck My Kiss" is pretty much led by the bass guitar.

And how awesome it is. :up: The bass is also very prominent in The Righteous & The Wicked. Probably one of my favourite Flea bass lines. Sir Psycho Sexy's very funky as well.

Sorry to go off topic again, but MrBrau, I just have to comment on What Little I Know again. I've been listening to it so much lately. Great song, man.

GibsonGirl said:

And how awesome it is. :up: The bass is also very prominent in The Righteous & The Wicked. Probably one of my favourite Flea bass lines. Sir Psycho Sexy's very funky as well.

Sorry to go off topic again, but MrBrau, I just have to comment on What Little I Know again. I've been listening to it so much lately. Great song, man.

Thanks Gibby. I appreciate that.:happy:

It's the best song I've ever written.

It's on my to-do list as a re-record, singing it myself.

MrBrau1 said:

Thanks Gibby. I appreciate that.:happy:

It's the best song I've ever written.

It's on my to-do list as a re-record, singing it myself.

My pleasure, the song's well worth the praise. :up: Thanks for sharing it with us! It'd be great to hear a re-recorded version.

This thread has got me listening to the Chili Peppers again. It has been a long time. I still can't get over how tight BSSM is, musically. Everything fits into the right place on that album. And, of course, it confirms that Flea really is one of the greatest bassists of all time.

GibsonGirl said:

All excellent songs! :love:

Check out "A Town Called Malice" by The Jam.

There's a bass lead for ya. It drives the whole tune.

White English guys playing 60's R&B.

And playing it well.

MrBrau1 said:

No. The bass in Zeppelin songs is usually brilliant.

John Paul Jones is a thunder god.

:yes: one of my favorite bass players

no mentions to Primus or Les Claypool?

It's relatively simple, but the bass line and pretty much everything about Ny Batteri by Sigur Ros is droolworthy.

Especially live :drool:

i thought on bass:drool:

i love it..its why i became one(a bass player)...its also cause i love low sounds even though i don't have a low voice:wink:. if there was no bass there would be no soul, no flow in a song and no funk!!Music would be nothing with out bass....bass a guitar with 4 strings but man can you rock out on one!!!!

Back
Top Bottom