Baseball strike - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2002, 05:02 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Normal Baseball strike

Are those poor, underpaid baseball players going to strike again?

Old 07-10-2002, 05:06 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:03 AM
*yawn*

go for it. I don't watch the game anyways.

I feel so bad for them. A cool couple mill is definitely poor pay. Specially when half of the world's population lives on less than $2 a day.

Old 07-11-2002, 06:21 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Maybe the fans should go on strike.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:03 PM   #4
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Meringue
Maybe the fans should go on strike.

Old 07-13-2002, 11:40 PM   #5
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
[BI feel so bad for them. A cool couple mill is definitely poor pay. Specially when half of the world's population lives on less than $2 a day. [/B]
Yeah, I mean, I used to think that way too. But then, I really think that its almost impossible for us to understand the lifestyle of a professional athlete. They are under constant pressure to perform, and their lifestyle, living out of a suitcase for nine months out of the year, being away from their families so much... I think the money just doesn't compensate for that. I'm not saying that they should strike, but we shouldn't really judge them all as rich, spoiled whiners. 90% of them are really a lot like us, and I personally have a lot of respect for what they have to do to earn what they do.

But either way, the American people just don't want to hear millionaire players complaining about being used by billionaire owners, or vice versa. I hope they can come to a resolution before things get out of hand. I don't like to see the game suffering like this.
Old 07-14-2002, 07:22 AM   #6
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:03 PM

no-one's forcing them to be professional sportsmen, if they cant hack it, I'm sure there are a zillion people queuing to take their place.
Old 07-14-2002, 05:56 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:03 AM
ah are you shittin me! theyre going on strike again!
Okay thats fine wit me!
Old 07-15-2002, 10:01 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxxern

Yeah, I mean, I used to think that way too. But then, I really think that its almost impossible for us to understand the lifestyle of a professional athlete. They are under constant pressure to perform, and their lifestyle, living out of a suitcase for nine months out of the year, being away from their families so much... I think the money just doesn't compensate for that. I'm not saying that they should strike, but we shouldn't really judge them all as rich, spoiled whiners. 90% of them are really a lot like us, and I personally have a lot of respect for what they have to do to earn what they do.
uh huh. And I have lived out of a suitcase for half my life as well and have yet to be compensated so grandly for it. Spoiled whiners, they are and I don't feel bad calling them that. Getting paid millions to hit a ball with a stick is a privelege not a right.

Old 07-15-2002, 11:11 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
Getting paid millions to hit a ball with a stick is a privelege not a right.
but can you point a finger at the players and say 'they did it'. going on strike is just another tier of the system. salaries got out of control and fan support waned.

they are being paid millions because that's what the market demands. if it is an unequitable situation, as it may well be, then they will strike and they should, as silly as it sounds. the league administration, owners, general managers, player agents, players, and in some cases fans(though not so much in baseball i think) are all to blame. it is a systemic problem.

hockey is about to hit the same thing.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:13 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

agreed. I think they all suck equally. and I can say that because I'm not contributing to the demand...I certainly don't watch or spend any money on them.

Old 07-16-2002, 06:29 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I certainly don't think they should play for free, but I think things have gotten out of hand. The owners make me just as mad as the players do. I think alot of them buy teams for tax purposes...not because they love the sport and just want to own a team or because they want to have a team in their town. There is no loyalty to the fans by the players or the owners. Players just go wherever they can make the most money...they don't seem interested in the community where they live. Owners threaten to move teams if the taxpayers won't by them a new stadium.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:08 PM   #12
Refugee

Supply and demand I guess.... capitalism gone awry. They can charge what they do cause we still go to the games. We still love the games. I know I do, and so do millions of other people in the country. I think we tolerate the high salaries as a necessary evil, and we try to forget about it and think about the joy they bring us. That's really the only way to enjoy a game--to remember that it's a game, and to put the economics and politics aside. In what other situation would be we be praying for the success of a person who makes $9 million a year? But that's exactly what I and so many others do come game time. It happens in any sport, when the Yankees play the Red Sox, when the Red Wings play the Avalanche, when Man U plays Arsenal, when Real plays Barcelona. We turn into suckers and pin our hopes on the malcontented, ungrateful millionaires who play. We just hope that they have some love of the game left, and when they succeed, we feel like we have succeeded just a little bit for believing in them. I guess sports can be a double-edged sword for the most part. Either it's awesome, or it really sucks.

Sports are what they are. These economic problems are nothing new. They have existed since professional athletes first came to be. I will still be sad if they strike, I'm not ashamed to admit that. Watching the playoffs is a great time for me and my friends, and missing out would be a big deal.

Athletes are entertainers, like actors or musicians. They take in whatever they do because people pay to see them do their thing. We don't complain that U2 are overpaid, because we enjoy what they do for us. For sports fans, it's really not any different.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:43 AM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxxern
Supply and demand I guess.... capitalism gone awry. They can charge what they do cause we still go to the games. We still love the games. I know I do, and so do millions of other people in the country. I think we tolerate the high salaries as a necessary evil, and we try to forget about it and think about the joy they bring us. That's really the only way to enjoy a game--to remember that it's a game, and to put the economics and politics aside. In what other situation would be we be praying for the success of a person who makes $9 million a year? But that's exactly what I and so many others do come game time. It happens in any sport, when the Yankees play the Red Sox, when the Red Wings play the Avalanche, when Man U plays Arsenal, when Real plays Barcelona. We turn into suckers and pin our hopes on the malcontented, ungrateful millionaires who play. We just hope that they have some love of the game left, and when they succeed, we feel like we have succeeded just a little bit for believing in them. I guess sports can be a double-edged sword for the most part. Either it's awesome, or it really sucks.

Sports are what they are. These economic problems are nothing new. They have existed since professional athletes first came to be. I will still be sad if they strike, I'm not ashamed to admit that. Watching the playoffs is a great time for me and my friends, and missing out would be a big deal.

Athletes are entertainers, like actors or musicians. They take in whatever they do because people pay to see them do their thing. We don't complain that U2 are overpaid, because we enjoy what they do for us. For sports fans, it's really not any different.
Excellently put. I don't necessarily think that the baseball players are being paid too little ( ) but you have to remember ... it's not like the extra money they want to be paid would otherwise be, like, feeding the hungry or clothing the poor. It's fattening up the pockets of the equally at fault owners, managers, and other front office people ... as others have stated. The whole structure is out of whack, and needs to be dealt with as a whole. If only it were so simple.
Old 07-19-2002, 10:41 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:03 PM
I agree. I think the whole system is screwed up. Billionaire owners, millionaire players, all grabbing for more of the Almighty Pie........uh, Almighty Buck. Yuck.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:58 PM   #15
Acrobat

Go to the movies lately? $10 a pop to see one now. How come no one ever complains about movie stars being overpaid?? Mel Gibson gets $40 million a film! What about music? Even our lads are guilty of being overpaid... it's not just sports, entertainers are equally overpaid. Lets not be so short sighted...