Baseball strike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*yawn*

go for it. I don't watch the game anyways.

I feel so bad for them. A cool couple mill is definitely poor pay. Specially when half of the world's population lives on less than $2 a day. :tsk:

sulawesigirl4 said:
[BI feel so bad for them. A cool couple mill is definitely poor pay. Specially when half of the world's population lives on less than $2 a day. :tsk: [/B]

Yeah, I mean, I used to think that way too. But then, I really think that its almost impossible for us to understand the lifestyle of a professional athlete. They are under constant pressure to perform, and their lifestyle, living out of a suitcase for nine months out of the year, being away from their families so much... I think the money just doesn't compensate for that. I'm not saying that they should strike, but we shouldn't really judge them all as rich, spoiled whiners. 90% of them are really a lot like us, and I personally have a lot of respect for what they have to do to earn what they do.

But either way, the American people just don't want to hear millionaire players complaining about being used by billionaire owners, or vice versa. I hope they can come to a resolution before things get out of hand. I don't like to see the game suffering like this.

no-one's forcing them to be professional sportsmen, if they cant hack it, I'm sure there are a zillion people queuing to take their place.

Foxxern said:

Yeah, I mean, I used to think that way too. But then, I really think that its almost impossible for us to understand the lifestyle of a professional athlete. They are under constant pressure to perform, and their lifestyle, living out of a suitcase for nine months out of the year, being away from their families so much... I think the money just doesn't compensate for that. I'm not saying that they should strike, but we shouldn't really judge them all as rich, spoiled whiners. 90% of them are really a lot like us, and I personally have a lot of respect for what they have to do to earn what they do.

uh huh. And I have lived out of a suitcase for half my life as well and have yet to be compensated so grandly for it. :tsk: Spoiled whiners, they are and I don't feel bad calling them that. Getting paid millions to hit a ball with a stick is a privelege not a right.

sulawesigirl4 said:
Getting paid millions to hit a ball with a stick is a privelege not a right.

but can you point a finger at the players and say 'they did it'. going on strike is just another tier of the system. salaries got out of control and fan support waned.

they are being paid millions because that's what the market demands. if it is an unequitable situation, as it may well be, then they will strike and they should, as silly as it sounds. the league administration, owners, general managers, player agents, players, and in some cases fans(though not so much in baseball i think) are all to blame. it is a systemic problem.

hockey is about to hit the same thing.

agreed. I think they all suck equally. and I can say that because I'm not contributing to the demand...I certainly don't watch or spend any money on them.

I certainly don't think they should play for free, but I think things have gotten out of hand. The owners make me just as mad as the players do. I think alot of them buy teams for tax purposes...not because they love the sport and just want to own a team or because they want to have a team in their town. There is no loyalty to the fans by the players or the owners. Players just go wherever they can make the most money...they don't seem interested in the community where they live. Owners threaten to move teams if the taxpayers won't by them a new stadium.

Supply and demand I guess.... capitalism gone awry. They can charge what they do cause we still go to the games. We still love the games. I know I do, and so do millions of other people in the country. I think we tolerate the high salaries as a necessary evil, and we try to forget about it and think about the joy they bring us. That's really the only way to enjoy a game--to remember that it's a game, and to put the economics and politics aside. In what other situation would be we be praying for the success of a person who makes $9 million a year? But that's exactly what I and so many others do come game time. It happens in any sport, when the Yankees play the Red Sox, when the Red Wings play the Avalanche, when Man U plays Arsenal, when Real plays Barcelona. We turn into suckers and pin our hopes on the malcontented, ungrateful millionaires who play. We just hope that they have some love of the game left, and when they succeed, we feel like we have succeeded just a little bit for believing in them. I guess sports can be a double-edged sword for the most part. Either it's awesome, or it really sucks.

Sports are what they are. These economic problems are nothing new. They have existed since professional athletes first came to be. I will still be sad if they strike, I'm not ashamed to admit that. Watching the playoffs is a great time for me and my friends, and missing out would be a big deal.

Athletes are entertainers, like actors or musicians. They take in whatever they do because people pay to see them do their thing. We don't complain that U2 are overpaid, because we enjoy what they do for us. For sports fans, it's really not any different.

Foxxern said:
Supply and demand I guess.... capitalism gone awry. They can charge what they do cause we still go to the games. We still love the games. I know I do, and so do millions of other people in the country. I think we tolerate the high salaries as a necessary evil, and we try to forget about it and think about the joy they bring us. That's really the only way to enjoy a game--to remember that it's a game, and to put the economics and politics aside. In what other situation would be we be praying for the success of a person who makes $9 million a year? But that's exactly what I and so many others do come game time. It happens in any sport, when the Yankees play the Red Sox, when the Red Wings play the Avalanche, when Man U plays Arsenal, when Real plays Barcelona. We turn into suckers and pin our hopes on the malcontented, ungrateful millionaires who play. We just hope that they have some love of the game left, and when they succeed, we feel like we have succeeded just a little bit for believing in them. I guess sports can be a double-edged sword for the most part. Either it's awesome, or it really sucks.

Sports are what they are. These economic problems are nothing new. They have existed since professional athletes first came to be. I will still be sad if they strike, I'm not ashamed to admit that. Watching the playoffs is a great time for me and my friends, and missing out would be a big deal.

Athletes are entertainers, like actors or musicians. They take in whatever they do because people pay to see them do their thing. We don't complain that U2 are overpaid, because we enjoy what they do for us. For sports fans, it's really not any different.

Excellently put. I don't necessarily think that the baseball players are being paid too little :)eyebrow: ) but you have to remember ... it's not like the extra money they want to be paid would otherwise be, like, feeding the hungry or clothing the poor. It's fattening up the pockets of the equally at fault owners, managers, and other front office people ... as others have stated. The whole structure is out of whack, and needs to be dealt with as a whole. If only it were so simple.

I agree. I think the whole system is screwed up. Billionaire owners, millionaire players, all grabbing for more of the Almighty Pie........uh, Almighty Buck. Yuck.

Go to the movies lately? $10 a pop to see one now. How come no one ever complains about movie stars being overpaid?? Mel Gibson gets $40 million a film! What about music? Even our lads are guilty of being overpaid... it's not just sports, entertainers are equally overpaid. Lets not be so short sighted...

I agree, there are a fair number of overpaid people out there. Hell, how many times has Bono said he's overpaid? At least he knows it. I hate it when they don't know it, won't admit it and aren't conscious that they are damned lucky. If they have the right attitude about it, then to me it's c'est la vie.

Foxxern said:

But either way, the American people just don't want to hear millionaire players complaining about being used by billionaire owners, or vice versa. I hope they can come to a resolution before things get out of hand. I don't like to see the game suffering like this.

Whine me a NILE

I used to live out of a duffle bag (military suitcase) for months and also go without running water or decent hot meals. And how about my pay;HAAAA HAAAAAAAAA HAA HA HA
yeah, instead of all that money and fame I got bombed and shot at!!!!

SO I say, FUCK 'EM!

They can all empty garbage cans for all I care.

Of course, if this were the NFL we were talking about it would be a different story.

I think a strike will do nothing but hurt basebll. Fans have very little sympathy for the situation.

Here in Minnesota the Twins have been trying to persuade us to build them a new stadium. This has been a very volatile (sp?) issue around here. If they go on strike they can kiss any possible public funding goodbye. Any possible momentum in their favor will be gone.

Go to soccer games next year. The MLS needs your support.

The ONE sport I actually LOVE.....

THIS F$@*ING SUCKS.

I'm so pissed. I'm a huge baseball (Twins) fan. If they do this(and it looks like they're gonna) they can all just FOAD. Stoopid move on their part. I could sit here and type for an hour about how mad I am. But I guess I'll just leave them all with a big, fat MIDDLE FINGER if they go through with it. :censored: OFF you :censored: holes.

Yes, Even my precious DOUG MIENTKIEWICZ. He and I are through.

*slaps Doug and dumps mug of beer on his head*

*FUME :rant: :mad: :madspit: :grumpy:

I sure hope i will be retracting these statements come Friday.

Knowing that the average Baseball player makes 48,000 dollars a week doesn't make me give a damn about them. Everyone at work hopes they go on strike because the fans have had enough. The attendance hasn't even recovered since the last strike and we have had Cal Ripken's streak, Bonds HR's, Sosa vs. McGwire, and a couple of great World Series. Owners and Players alike both suck big bocci balls.:rant:

Zooropa said:
Go to the movies lately? $10 a pop to see one now. How come no one ever complains about movie stars being overpaid?? Mel Gibson gets $40 million a film! What about music? Even our lads are guilty of being overpaid... it's not just sports, entertainers are equally overpaid. Lets not be so short sighted...

:up: Good point zooropa.

As a fan myself... I would hate to see another strike. It took a LONG time for baseball to their fans back after the strike in 1994, I dont think anyone really cared until 1998 with the whole Sosa/McGwire race etc. It would be a shame, baseball would go down the tubes again.

As for A=Rod, by no means at all am I saying that his salary is justified. But I did read somewhere that he offered up somewhere between 30-40% of his salary if it would help to prevent the strike.

The date is set for August 31st... we'll have to see.

The I994 strike killed people's interest in MLB in Montr?al (not in baseball, like some people like to say).That strike and its consequences is the reason why not much people show up at Expos games. Again, people here disaprove MLB and its mentality, not baseball. some people just can't figure that.

A 2002 strike, however long or not it can be, will probably do the same thing for small markets.

The Expos will get killed by MLB.. LET'S GO EXPOS

Re: The ONE sport I actually LOVE.....

Ali Rose said:
THIS F$@*ING SUCKS.

I'm so pissed. I'm a huge baseball (Twins) fan. If they do this(and it looks like they're gonna) they can all just FOAD. Stoopid move on their part. I could sit here and type for an hour about how mad I am. But I guess I'll just leave them all with a big, fat MIDDLE FINGER if they go through with it. :censored: OFF you :censored: holes.

Yes, Even my precious DOUG MIENTKIEWICZ. He and I are through.

*slaps Doug and dumps mug of beer on his head*

*FUME :rant: :mad: :madspit: :grumpy:

I sure hope i will be retracting these statements come Friday.

*retracts said statements.*

Esp the ones directed to Doug. :hug: :kiss:
I'm sorry, baby. Sometimes i get mad and I yell.....(said in Ladies man voice)

i received this email today. i figured this would be appropriate in here...those poor men

Help A Baseball Player In Need

Since September 11, 2001, Americans have come together as never before in
our generation. We have banded together to overcome tremendous adversity.

We have weathered direct attacks on our own soil, wars overseas, corporate
scandal, layoffs, unemployment, stock price plunges, droughts, fires, and a
myriad of economic and physical disasters both great and small. But now, we
must come together once again to overcome our greatest challenge yet.

Hundreds of Major League Baseball players in our very own nation are living
at, just below, or in most cases far above the seven-figure salary level.
And as if that weren't bad enough they could be deprived of their
life-giving pay for several months, possibly longer, as a result of the
upcoming strike situation. But you can help!

For only $20,835 a month, about $694.50 a day (that's less than the cost of
a large screen projection TV) you can help a MLB player remain economically
viable during his time of need. This contribution by no means solves the
problem as it barely covers the annual minimum salary, but it's a start, and
every little bit will help!

Although $700 may not seem like a lot of money to you, to a baseball player
it could mean the difference between spending the strike golfing in Florida
or on a Mediterranean cruise. For you, seven hundred dollars is nothing more
than a month's rent, half a mortgage payment, two unemployment checks, or a
month of medical insurance with COBRA, but to a baseball player, $700 will
partially replace his daily salary.

Your commitment of less than $700 a day will enable a player to buy that
home entertainment center, trade in the year-old Lexus for a new Ferrari, or
enjoy a weekend in Rio.

HOW WILL I KNOW I'M HELPING?

Each month, you will receive a complete financial report on the player you
sponsor. Detailed information about his stocks, bonds, 401(k), real estate,
and other investment holdings will be mailed to your home. Plus, upon
signing up for this program, you will receive an unsigned photo of the
player lounging during the strike on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean (for
a signed photo, please include an additional $150). Put the photo on your
refrigerator to remind you of other peoples' suffering.

HOW WILL HE KNOW I'M HELPING?

Your MLB player will be told that he has a SPECIAL FRIEND who just wants to
help in a time of need. Although the player won't know your name, he will be
able to make collect calls to your home via a special operator in case
additional funds are needed for unforeseen expenses.

YES, I WANT TO HELP!

I would like to sponsor a striking MLB player. My preference is checked
below:
[ ] Infielder
[ ] Outfielder
[ ] Starting Pitcher
[ ] Ace Pitcher
[ ] Entire team (Please call our 900 number to ask for the cost of a
specific team - $10 per minute) [ ] Alex Rodriguez (Higher cost: $60,000 per
day)

Please charge the account listed below $694.50 per day for the player for
the duration of the strike. Please send me a picture of the player I have