Baseball Returneths - The MLB Thread: Spring Training Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache, I've gone on line and can't find any info on SNY. Have you found anything? I'm looking to ditch dishnetwork, but I don't know who has signed a deal w/ SNY yet.

Geez, I thought you were talking about Greek food there.

A former classmate of mine claims that both uses of the word "gyro" derive from the same Greek root. I have no idea why they're pronouced differently.

WildHoneyAlways said:
ug. the sock blow. :(

you won the freakin world series last year, and now they already blow a few games into spring training?

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

StlElevation said:
sidney ponson is gonna win the cy young

the only thing he is going to win is co-chair of the Lunch Bunch with bartolo colon

knox said:
Is anyone else in love with the World Baseball Classic?

I think it has been pretty cool.
It's too bad instead of a major injury everybody was worried about occuring (granted it's not over yet), anyhow, it's too bad that maybe the controversy will be that Japan got sorta "homered" by that home plate umpire.

If he makes the call and is wrong, it happens.
He fucking overruled the correct call after first reaffirming the call.
Dreadful.

It's been cool to see the Asian style of baseball, my buddy was in Okinawa for a year in the Marines and he told me how cool the Japanese baseball was. I dunno, I guess it's just different, small ball, pitching and defense. No loafing blowhards.

I do think it has been a success, though, even with the call.
I'd just like to see the Americans win it on a steroid free Griffey Jr. home run as we start remembering the real greatest player of the last 15 years and try to ignore fraudfuckstick Bonds. Griffey is the USA MVP right now, he's been raking.

I dunno, I'm a Cardinals fan and I also like the Rangers as my AL team, I have no allegiance to the Mariners or the Reds but I just think had Griffey been juicing he never would have been so banged up over the last 5 or 6 years and he'd be threatening Ruth instead of HGH Boy in San Fran. That's part of the myths about steroids, they don't grow up muscles by themsleves, they allow your body to recover and bounce back. That's why Clemens and some others shouldn't be off the hook just yet. But I think Griffey, Sheffield and a few other guys, Jim Thome, these are the real sluggers of our era and we should embrace them and toss off the others.

Bob Davidson just made another atrocious call for team USA (turning a Mexico HR off the foul pole into a ground-rule double). Outstanding.

(edit) Fortunately for Davidson, the guy scored anyway on a RBI single.

Last edited:
The USA needs a run in the 9th to stay alive, and A-Rod is due to bat third. Oh God.

I'm actually quite surprised that the WBC hasn't gotten a lot more interest in the US. Considering the fact that there were absolutely zero major sporting events going on until March Madness started (unless you count the Paralympics, I guess), an international tournament in America's national pastime - I would think - would be pretty big, or at least not generate the seeming hatred that it has.

Every other nation that's participating in this event takes it extremely seriously. Even here in Canada (where baseball is tertiary after hockey and football), when our team won a game it was front page news in the national papers. Watching the Cuba-Dominican Republic semifinal on television, ESPN had a camera in a place where a good hundred or so Cubans had gathered to watch the game, and when the final strike crossed the plate I could swear it was like seeing the inside of a Canadian bar after Canada's hockey team wins a semi-final game. People were going ballistic, singing the national anthem, jumping around, crying, waving flags...people all over the world are crazy for this tournament except for in America.

Weird.

:shrug:

MLB as a whole didn't seem too interested in the World Baseball thingy. Players turned down the oppertunity to play. I'd rather see my team's players in spring training rather than play in meaningless games. :shrug:

I mean come on, Al Leiter is on the team. :| Sure some big names are on the team as well there has been zero coverage here.

DaveC said:
I'm actually quite surprised that the WBC hasn't gotten a lot more interest in the US. Considering the fact that there were absolutely zero major sporting events going on until March Madness started (unless you count the Paralympics, I guess), an international tournament in America's national pastime - I would think - would be pretty big, or at least not generate the seeming hatred that it has.

Every other nation that's participating in this event takes it extremely seriously. Even here in Canada (where baseball is tertiary after hockey and football), when our team won a game it was front page news in the national papers. Watching the Cuba-Dominican Republic semifinal on television, ESPN had a camera in a place where a good hundred or so Cubans had gathered to watch the game, and when the final strike crossed the plate I could swear it was like seeing the inside of a Canadian bar after Canada's hockey team wins a semi-final game. People were going ballistic, singing the national anthem, jumping around, crying, waving flags...people all over the world are crazy for this tournament except for in America.

Weird.

:shrug:

It's the same deal as with USA Basketball -- everyone just assumed that it was no problem, we could just throw together a team that would win, and because of that nobody really cared about it until we started losing.

But hey, we're still number 3 in our continent.

Back
Top Bottom