Baseball Returneths - The MLB Thread: Spring Training Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think delgado is gonna be another mets bust

i think beltran will have a big year though

Originally posted by my dumb ass in the Hot Stove thread
but i do have a feeling that many of the players, esp. pitchers, who are expected to play in the world baseball classic will come down with some sort of ailment between now and spring training...

NEW YORK (AP) -- Pedro Martinez and Manny Ramirez might drop off the Dominican Republic's team in the World Baseball Classic.

Martinez, who has a toe injury, still hasn't pitched off a mound in spring training for the New York Mets. He said Thursday he will definitely miss the first round of the tournament.

"Our understanding is that Pedro, very frankly, is doubtful," said Gene Orza, the No. 2 official of the players' association. "It's still possible he will play, but I think it's at best 50-50 right now."

Francisco Rodriguez has also backed out for the Dominicans, they went quickly from favorite to long shot.

Janet Jones took them at 3-1, she's gonna be upset.

i hate these assholes who say their gonna play and then don't. just say no from the get go. U know u have spring training at the same time, don't act all surprised when it comes time. idiots.

if i'm a gm or owner of an mlb team i wouldnt want any of my pitchers pitching in this thing, so if i am a mets fan i would be elated that pedro won't be pitching in it.

rick ankiel update..

Cardinals agreed to terms with OF Rick Ankiel, RHP Brad Thompson and RHP Anthony Reyes on one-year contracts.

Ankiel remains out of options, so the Cardinals are going to have to put him on waivers if they attempt to send him down. He's unlikely to win a reserve spot with So Taguchi, Larry Bigbie and John Rodriguez all close to locks to make the team.

sidney ponson and anthony reyes will be duking it out for the 5th spot in the rotation as well. im hoping reyes wins it.

randhail said:
I give Ankiel credit for still trying make himself a decent mlb player.
If your option was try switching from a hit the mascot type pitcher to an outfielder for about $100k/year or load sheetrock at Home Depot for $30k/year, which would you choose.

I like how Roger Clemens pitched a simulated game for the Astros. He pitched against his son, Kobe, who has just been drafted by the 'Stros. First pitch from Clemens Sr to Clemens Jr and Jr hits a home run. On the next pitch, The Rocket threw one high and tight.:madwife:

shouldn't have been crowding the plate :wink:

i've gotten over my dislike for roger clemens, and actually would like it if the mets made a run at him... as unlikely as that may be.

yes, he hit piazza in the head. yes, i think there was some intent there. but the mets had their chance to get him back, but friggin shawn estes threw the ball behind clemens' ass, and no other form of retaliation has been tried since. if the mets players didn't care enough to take out clemens after he a) threw a ball at their star player's noggin, and b) threw a bat at said star player, then why should i?

so which is the more disturbing photo out of giants camp...

their new starting pitcher?
deuce.jpg

or, well, this...
bonds.jpg

Headache in a Suitcase said:
so which is the more disturbing photo out of giants camp...

their new starting pitcher?
deuce.jpg

or, well, this...
bonds.jpg

please tell me those are amazing photoshop jobs :lol:

They just aired this bit on SportsCenter. As a hazing ritual, the Giants made all the rooks audition on "Giants Idol". Barry Bonds said to one contestant, in his worst Paula Abdul voice, "call me". I will now light myself on fire.

I really don't care about all the behind the scenes stuff - I just wanna see some games here in a month or so..... :hyper:

I'll go w/ this team winning the World Baseball Classic:

Domincan Republic:

Miguel Batista, RHP, Arizona Diamondbacks
Daniel Cabrera, RHP, Baltimore Orioles
Bartolo Colon, RHP, Los Angeles Angels
Francisco Cordero, RHP, Texas Rangers
Jose Lima, RHP, free agent (formerly Kansas City Royals)
Francisco Liriano, LHP, Minnesota Twins
Damaso Marte, LHP, Pittsburgh Pirates
Pedro Martinez, RHP, New York Mets
Jose Mesa, RHP, Colorado Rockies
Odalis Perez, LHP, Los Angles Dodgers
Fernando Rodney, RHP, Detroit Tigers
Wandy Rodriguez, LHP, Houston Astros
Duaner Sanchez, RHP, New York Mets
Ervin Santana, RHP, Los Angeles Angels
Jorge Sosa, RHP, Atlanta Braves
Julian Tavarez, RHP, Boston Red Sox
Salomon Torres, RHP, Pittsburgh Pirates
Jose Valverde, RHP, Arizona Diamondbacks

Catchers
Juan Brito, Arizona Diamondbacks
Alberto Castillo, Washington Nationals
Miguel Olivo, Florida Marlins

Infielders
Adrian Beltre, 3B, Seattle Mariners
Luis Castillo, 2B, Minnesota Twins
Pedro Feliz, 3B, San Francisco Giants
David Ortiz, 1B, Boston Red Sox
Placido Polanco, Detroit Tigers
Albert Pujols, 1B, St. Louis Cardinals
Jose Reyes, SS, New York Mets
Alfonso Soriano, 2B, Washington Nationals
Miguel Tejada, SS, Baltimore Orioles

Outfielders
Moises Alou, San Francisco Giants
Juan Encarnacion, St. Louis Cardinals
Vladimir Guerrero, Los Angeles Angels
Manny Ramirez, Boston Red Sox
Sammy Sosa, free agent (formerly Baltimore Orioles)
Willy Taveras, Houston Astros

if i heard correctly, brette boone has decided to retire.

his stock crumbled real quick over the last few years.

this of course, means kaz matsui is the leading candidate for 2b (or andrerson hernandez)

Back
Top Bottom