Baseball Returneths - The MLB Thread: Spring Training Edition - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2006, 03:42 PM   #31
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jimmmm
This world series thing, is it the rounders equivalent of Footballs World Cup, or is it just coz no other country in the world plays rounders after junior school. you have to call it a world series just to make it sound more important than it actually is?
har har har, tally ho chap, that was a bloody fine funny you made there. quite clever, quite clever indeed.

now pardon me, i'm off to watch some footie with a nice set of tea and crumpets.

Old 02-18-2006, 03:55 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:31 AM
Quote:
This world series thing, is it the rounders equivalent of Footballs World Cup, or is it just coz no other country in the world plays rounders after junior school.
it is not a "world event" it is american/canadian teams

i think they play baseball professionally in japan?

Quote:
you have to call it a world series just to make it sound more important than it actually is?
basicly

Old 02-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by the rockin edge

basicly
Given the salaries that MLB pays and the large number of foreign-born players currently playing in MLB, I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of the world's best players are currently in MLB.

So no, most Americans feel no compunctions about calling the MLB championship the "World Series".
Old 02-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

Given the salaries that MLB pays and the large number of foreign-born players currently playing in MLB, I think it's safe to say that the vast majority of the world's best players are currently in MLB.
Exactly. That's why nobody feels any qualms with awarding the Stanley Cup only to the NHL champion, because they world's best players are all in the NHL.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

So no, most Americans feel no compunctions about calling the MLB championship the "World Series".
sure the MLB has the best players from around the world

but how many continents does the baseball world have? 2? 3 maybe?
aren't most of the foreign born players in the mlb from central american nations?

while the MLB may be the best baseball players from all countries that play baseball, that doesn't make it a global sport or IMO give them the right to call it the "world" series

to truly be called the world championship the sport should be played all over the world. whether or not there is one main league or not, it should have players from all over the world.

i'm not saying that the "world series" is not the best in baseball, but it's hardly a "world" series.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:31 PM   #36
Blue Crack Distributor

i would be moooore than happy to go off into any of the "footie" threads and share my feelings on how mind numbingly boring i find it to be...

you don't like baseball, fine. don't post in this thread.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:55 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i would be moooore than happy to go off into any of the "footie" threads and share my feelings on how mind numbingly boring i find it to be...

you don't like baseball, fine. don't post in this thread.
i said nothing about liking or disliking the sport. just calling it the world series
Old 02-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

sure the MLB has the best players from around the world

but how many continents does the baseball world have? 2? 3 maybe?
aren't most of the foreign born players in the mlb from central american nations?

while the MLB may be the best baseball players from all countries that play baseball, that doesn't make it a global sport or IMO give them the right to call it the "world" series

to truly be called the world championship the sport should be played all over the world. whether or not there is one main league or not, it should have players from all over the world.

i'm not saying that the "world series" is not the best in baseball, but it's hardly a "world" series.
While most players outside of the U.S. are indeed from Central American nations, you'd be surprised at how many countries are actually represented in MLB.

Oh, and Headache, regarding your picks - thanks for the entertaining read...

Old 02-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #39
Refugee

Local Time: 06:31 AM
ok i guess i should have posted this here instead of starting a new thread.

if the giants and bonds had any common sense, they would trade him to the AL so he could be the DH, and the giants could get someone who knees aren't gonna explode while in the outfield. I hear ,he;s only gonna play 100-120 games, he'll leave games early, his knee has to be like massaged bwtween innings! then what good is this guy? what kinda plan is that? thier gonna move him up to batting 2nd mabey? Thiers nothing in that lineup besides him and moises alou that can't be stopped when the pressures on. (from the other teams point of view). They say that the more he stands out in the field the worse it is for his knees. Thats great. He should relize he'll get more at bats and more pitches to hit as a AL DH then staying on the giants. And he dosn't have to leave the game for defensive replacement in the AL. The giants would get alot of good young talent for him and actuly have something to build on instead of the senoir citizens ball thier playing now.
Old 02-18-2006, 09:41 PM   #40
War Child

it would make great sense for Bonds to move to the AL. This way, all those steroids will go towards his offensive skills, instead of both his offense and his defense, and he'll catch Aaron faster.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:29 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

soccer sucks and is for pansies

but anyway, the giants would be nuts to trade bonds. i hate the guy, i don't like him at all, but he has put up some of the, if not the, best single seasons in recent history. having him in any lineup immediatly makes everybody else in the lineup better because nobody wants to pitch to him, so other players will see better pitches to hit. nobody would really give up a heck of a lot for him because he's old, and the giants would want an amazing amount of top prospects, if not already young proven players (more in the vein of harden than a zito because zito's eligible for free agency soon) and it would be nuts to give up a rich harden type player (not as good, just using him as an example) and others to get one, maybe two years out of bonds.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:34 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

also about the "world" series

the best players in the world all play in major league baseball, there are no if's and's or's or but's about it. since the world's best players play in major league baseball, it is a world series. i apologize on behalf of bud selig and major league baseball if this irks any borin...i mean, soccer, fan.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:43 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation

the best players in the world all play in major league baseball, there are no if's and's or's or but's about it.
i already agreed with that

Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
since the world's best players play in major league baseball, it is a world series. i apologize on behalf of bud selig and major league baseball if this irks any borin...i mean, soccer, fan.
i disagree

and soccer has nothing to do with this

unless you are implying that because i like soccer my opinion on any other sport is meaningless
Old 02-19-2006, 01:51 AM   #44
Refugee

What good is bonds if he's gonna leave the game in the 7th inning due to standing out in field too long? thier baseing everything on one guy and the one guy isn't even gonna be thier the whole game. And if bonds wants to make sure he gets 50 home runs he sould be in the AL. DH'S don't leave the game for defensive replacment. His swing is young but his defense is useless. Plus he should know the giants have no real chance to win the ws. The only way they woulda had a chance is if they were the ones who got manny rameriz and some real pitching. They might able to get by on this way thier doing it now to the playoffs but what happens when they eventuly run into a real team thats not from thier weak ass divison. Bonds can only do so much on that team that dosn't have too much else. Any AL team could beat them in a WS. even if they pressed thier luck that far. Oh wait, a AL team did beat them in 2002. And that giants team was actuly realy good.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:44 AM   #45
The Fly

Quote:

basicly

Actually they play professional baseball in Japan, Mexico, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Panama, and you can arugue Cuba, they don't get paid that much there, but the players live of that. etc....

There will be and actual World tournament in March! But you're right the closest thing to a World series is the Caribbean series!