Baseball Playoffs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMacPhisto

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So, which teams will be playing in postseason games this fall?

My predictions:

AL East Winner: New York Yankees
AL Central Winner: Minnesota Twins
AL West Winner: Seattle Mariners
AL Wild Card: Boston Red Sox

NL East Winner: Atlanta Braves
NL Central Winner: St. Louis Cardinals
NL West Winner: Arizona Diamondbacks
NL Wild Card: Los Angeles Dodgers

Other predictions:

Team With Worst Record at End of Season: Tampa Bay Devil Rays (might not even win 50 games this season!)

World Series Winning Team: New York Yankees

Team Most Likely To Be Pulled From the League: Florida Marlins

Of course, none of this probably will happen, since there's a strike looming. :sad:

I dunno, I'd put the Angels in there somewhere - they've been kicking ass in their divison. Even if the Mariners pull ahead I can see them taking the wild card (maybe).

As far as the dodgers go, statistics show that them bums will never make the playoffs. This week they'll play the reds and if the dodgers lose like they've been lately then I can see the reds coming off on top at the end. The giants are waay too banged up to make a run even with Lofton joining.

The AL West looks like a dogfight right now between Oakland, Seattle, and Anaheim. Oakland has the better pitching, which could end up being huge in the stretch run. Seattle hasn't had to deal with this kind of pressure before, so it could hurt them. Anaheim has a lot of heart though, despite not having big names aside from Troy Glaus.

The NL West is similar, but I think Arizona has what it takes to hold on, with LA and SF fighting it out for the wild card in the NL. Of course Atlanta has the NL East in hand, and St Louis is in the driver's seat in the Central. Minnesota will probably win the AL Central, and right now it looks like the Yankees (Suck!) will win the AL East, with Boston fighting it out with whomever finishes 2nd in the West for the wild card there.

So basically I'm not predicting any changes from the way the standings are right now. Maybe something could happen, but I just don't see it happening, with the possible exception of either West division. Still I feel like Arizona and Seattle are very strong out there, and both have the pitching and offense to get them through to the playoffs.

So here's what I think:
AL East: Yankees
AL Central: Minnesota
AL West: Seattle
Wild Card: Boston

NL East: Atlanta
NL Central: St Louis
NL West: Arizona
Wild Card: San Francisco

ALCS: Minnesota vs Boston
NLCS: Atlanta vs Arizona

World Series: Atlanta over Minnesota in 6 (revenge for 1991 ;))

Well, I can dream can't I? With my luck it'll probably be Yankees and Arizona again, neither of which I particularly like. But as long as the Yankees lose, it'll be alright. :)

Calvin N. Hobbes said:

As far as the dodgers go, statistics show that them bums will never make the playoffs. This week they'll play the reds and if the dodgers lose like they've been lately then I can see the reds coming off on top at the end.

:yes:

*points and laughs at Ruben* :evil: :laugh:

All I have to say is....

GO DIAMONDBACKS/ARIZONA...oh and does anyone know why the concert series for U2 Phoenix is missing THEBIGUNIT running the heart shaped stage with the Worldseries Cup?....hmm...but then again I did get it from a NewYorker? hehehehe

I think the Diamondbacks are my team! Yay that you like em too therulz!
I am newly converting to baseball. Such a great game. I only caught bits of last season and am hooked I think. I feel like such a dork not knowing anything though...I think I'll just shut up now and stick to reading you guy's threads...

*sigh* The Angels...............

This is frustrating. The Angels have been playing their asses off all year and now they lose Tim Salmon and Aaron Sele.

They can almost deal with the loss of Salmon, at least temporarily, because they've been winning with pitching and defense all year anyway.

But to lose Sele at this point in the season is deflating -- and I don't think they have an answer to this problem.

The Angels absolutely could not afford to lose a starting pitcher, not in this race. I now expect them to finish 2 or 3 games out.

Just another year of what might have been. :|

once the strike happens.....fans will walk on....(I know the worst pun ever but :shrug: )

It's bound to happen...the year my team actually has a shot, labor talks sour and there might be a strike. I'm pulling with my Angels, hopefully if there is no strike (or just a very short work stoppage) we can squeeze in there and make a run...Oakland looks extremely tough though.

:tsk: THE GREED is everywhere. Baseball players make an average salary of 48,000 dollars a week.

NFL-best player (Marshall Faulk)-6 million
New York Yankees pitcher Sterling Hitchcock-6 million

Fans giving baseball owners and players the bird-PRICELESS

OUCH! By what I'm hearing on ESPN things are not looking good!! Flights are being canceled! :slant:

C-Bib if they built what? :p :tongue:

Flight plans are being cancelled and pier diem money isn't being handed out for the full week. Everyone in Baseball Tonight meetings believe that the strike will happen but only for a couple of days.:down:

Although we can't break Oaklands streak....

YAY TWINS!!!!

*waves OLD OLD homer hanky*

We're gonna win, TWINS!
We're gonna score!!!
We're gonna win TWINS!!!
Watch that baseball soar!!!

and Yay for the NON strike!!! :up:

Last edited:
In the American League

#1 Yankees will play the wildcard Boston Red Sox: New York wins
#2 Oakland will play the Minnesota Twins: Oakland wins

Yankees defeat Oakland 4-2

In the National League

#1 Atlanta will play the wildcard Los Angeles Dodgers: Atlanta wins
#2 Arizona will play the St Louis Cardinals: Arizona wins

Atlanta defeats Arizona 4-3

World Series: New York Yankees defeat Atlanta Braves 4-1

Danospano said:
In the American League
:mad: :madspit:

Ok you are probably right. I wish my boys could beat that durn Oakland....just one game!!!!! :scream: :(

Danospano said:
In the American League

#1 Yankees will play the wildcard Boston Red Sox: New York wins

Based on the rules of playoff seedings, this is not possible. No team may play a team from its own division in the first round. Yes the Yankees played Boston a few years ago in the playoffs, but that was in the ALCS, not the Divisional round.

The AL Wildcard is just too wide open right now for anyone to predict. Oakland is playing as well now as anyone, ever. Seattle is looking mediocre, Anaheim is going through injury problems, and Boston has a chance to step it up with their soft September schedule. Anything could change at anytime. That race could go down to the final weekend, and it could potentially be a three or even four-team situation. Should be interesting.

Go Angels!

pub crawler said:
Anaheim is going to beat Boston in the wild card race, for the simple reason that Anaheim is the better team. :tongue: :evil:

I agree...being a die-hard Angels fan, I have to agree. :up:

pub crawler said:
Anaheim is going to beat Boston in the wild card race, for the simple reason that Anaheim is the better team. :tongue: :evil:

Right now, Anaheim has two things to overcome if they want to get that wildcard. First, they are having some major injury problems with guys like Tim Salmon and Aaron Sele. Second, the current team has little to no playoff experience, or experience in tight playoff races. That could really hurt them when the pressure is on by mid-September.

Of course Boston has been barely at .500 since the All-Star break. But Manny Ramirez, Pedro Martinez, and Cliff Floyd are still hot, and they could really make a run. It's hard to say who is the better team right now.

Foxxern said:

Right now, Anaheim has two things to overcome if they want to get that wildcard. First, they are having some major injury problems with guys like Tim Salmon and Aaron Sele. Second, the current team has little to no playoff experience, or experience in tight playoff races. That could really hurt them when the pressure is on by mid-September.

Of course Boston has been barely at .500 since the All-Star break. But Manny Ramirez, Pedro Martinez, and Cliff Floyd are still hot, and they could really make a run. It's hard to say who is the better team right now.

True, but Salmon has already been activated, and Sele was (I believe) only put on the 15-day DL...so he should be back within a week...plus, the pitching staff has a lot of depth (Lackey, playing the role of starter due to injuries, has been effective and dominant at times)...I really like the chances for the Angels, although the stretch run will be quite interesting.

Foxxern said:

As walkon11 pointed out, Salmon should be back in the lineup this week. The loss of Sele definitely is a big setback but if Mickey Callaway can continue to pitch like he has in his first two starts (and that's a big "if"), it will be a big lift for the team. Callaway has been solid and has shown good composure, but who knows if that will hold up.

I think the Angels' biggest worry, particularly in light of the team's legendary September crashes, is the whole pennant race pressure thing. You're right about the Angels having little playoff experience, and that may be too huge a hurdle to overcome.

Personally, I think this team is resilient and will be in the race all the way to the end.

^ Ugh...don't remind me of that season (was it 95?) when we blew a 15 game lead at the end of August, and lost in the 1-game playoff to Seattle...I'm still bitter...damn Randy Johnson.

I like the Angels' chances right now despite the A's amazing streak. Next week we play 4 against the A's and it should be a great freakin' series.

Boston is not done -- not with the schedule they have the rest of the way.

Seattle will turn it around and contend to the end.

Minnesota is good but doesn't strike any terror into me.

The Yankees..... well, they're the Yankees. They kinda bore me. :crack:

:happy: :cool: :wink: :happy:

In the American League

#1 Yankees will play the wildcard Anaheim Angels: Anaheim wins

Anaheim will defeat Oakland 4-3

In the National League

#1 Atlanta will play the wildcard San Francisco Giants: Atlanta wins
#2 Arizona will play the St Louis Cardinals: Arizona wins

Atlanta defeats Arizona 4-3

World Series: Anaheim Angels defeat Atlanta Braves 4-3

Back