Baseball Dream Team

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No spoken words

Blue Crack Supplier
I'm in a baseball frame of mind here at work today, for various reasons, so....

Write out your dream starting 8, one bench player, 5 man rotation and closer, let's not go for full 25 man rosters.

Criteria - a player you've seen play on TV or in person and can vividly recall, not all-time players. Put together a team designed to win, not just the best player you've seen at each position. In other words, make sure you have a lead-off hitter, some defense out there, etc.

And here we go....

1B - Eddie Murray (steady as hell from both sides of the plate, clutch hitter, decent fielder)
2B - Roberto Alomar (in his prime, was such a total package)
SS - Ozzie Smith (I could have gone with A-Rod or Ripken, but, I want the Wizard's defense)
3B - Mike Schmidt (500 HR, multi gold glove winner, say no more)
LF - Rickey Henderson (my leadoff hitter, you can keep Bonds)
CF - Ken Griffey Jr. (Could do it all for many years)
RF - Tony Gwynn (This was the toughest choice for me, but, when a guy bats over .300 for 19 years, screw it, I'll take hi. Once upon a time, he could run and field, too)
Bench - George Brett (If I need a clutch hit off the bench, hard to pick a better hitter)
C - Pudge Rodriguez (If I could remember Bench, I'd choose him, but, Pudge aint bad)

SP - Clemens (Speaks for itself)
SP - Pedro (Ditto)
SP - Steve Carlton (Jerk to the media, but, great great pitcher)
SP - Tom Seaver (Perfect mechanics, check out his career stats)
SP - Greg Maddux (Again, tough call here, could have gone with Randy Johnson, but, Maddux it is)

RP - Rivera (Sorry Yankee haters)

And, lastly, just for kicks, the batting order:

1 - Henderson
2 - Gwynn
3 - Murray
4 - Schmidt
5 - Griffey Jr.
6 - Alomar
7 - Pudge
8 - Ozzie

Well, there you have it. I'm sure there are notable exceptions (Hate leaving Sandberg, Mattingly, etc off) here, but, that's the fun of it. So, if you love baseball and have some time, join in. Oh, and if this has been done before, my apologies.

Nice list! The only problem is there are a lot of jerks on it.
Eddie Murray: Never met a reporter he couldn't ignore.
Robbie Alomar: Liked to spit at umpires and wear out his welcome.
Rickey: Had trouble making sense.
Ken Griffey Jr.: Immature
Clemens: No loyality. Goes where the money is. Likes to throw bats when they break.
Pedro: Likes to throw around 72 year old bench coaches.
Seriously though, you don't have to be nice to win. Good list!

Steve Carlton, in his prime, was probably the best pitcher ever, and if not, definitely in the Top 5.

Man, it's hard to name people in general that are not jerks, let alone pro athletes. :) The 70's A's and 70's Yankees did not get along, at all, but won. It takes all types. A lot of these jerks have rings, as it turns out.

Nobody else is gonna make a list!?!??

Carlton was amazing, Phillyfan, agreed. I think for a 4-5 year stretch, though, for me, Perdo is the best pitcher I've ever seen...for length of career, Clemens. Wish I'd have seen Koufax.

My favorite sports moment ever is the minor league hitter who either gets hit with a pitch, or just thrown at...he then gives the catcher a back kick, then runs to the mound. I don't know why, exactly, but it cracks me up every time. Dalton, you're the Cubs fan, if memory serves?

1B-Keith Hernandez
2B-Willie Randolph
3B-Mike Schmidt
SS-Derek Jeter
CF-Johnny Damon
LF-Manny Ramirez
RF-Paul O'Neill
C-Ivan Rodriguez
SP-Greg Maddux
SP-Roger Clemens
SP-Curt Shilling
SP-David Cone
MRP-Roger McDowell
MRP-Jeff Nelson
RP-Mariano Rivera
DH-David Ortiz

Line-up
1-Damon
2-Jeter
3-Hernandez
4-Ramierez
5-Ortiz
6-Schmidt
7-O'Niell
8-Randolph
9-Rodriguez

Not an all-time team, just a good team to have.

Yeah, glad you've seen and remember it. Do you dream of kicking Chizip? :) Your Tigers made my Yanks look so old and slow and lifeless, ugh.

I remember a while back the Cubs played the Yanks and I was giving you shit about it....was that 2005??? Also, when they played something in my memory tells me someone got badly injured...was it Choi, hitting his head?????

MrPryck2U said:
1B-Keith Hernandez
2B-Willie Randolph
3B-Mike Schmidt
SS-Derek Jeter
CF-Johnny Damon
LF-Manny Ramirez
RF-Paul O'Neill
C-Ivan Rodriguez
SP-Greg Maddux
SP-Roger Clemens
SP-Curt Shilling
SP-David Cone
MRP-Roger McDowell
MRP-Jeff Nelson
RP-Mariano Rivera
DH-David Ortiz

Line-up
1-Damon
2-Jeter
3-Hernandez
4-Ramierez
5-Ortiz
6-Schmidt
7-O'Niell
8-Randolph
9-Rodriguez

Not an all-time team, just a good team to have.

I thought about Hernandez, best fielding 1B I've ever seen, and, I'm a huge Mattingly fan and he was no slouch with the glove. Keith would turn the clubhouse into a cocaine distribution center, though, hence my reluctance to add him. :) Interesting middle relievers. Hard to choose because they never seem to have long careers as middle relievers, they soon become closers or lose their effectiveness. Nelson was good for a while, though, and helped the Yanks big-time. Most Yankee fans I know, myself included, really look back at Nelson and Stanton with fondness.

this is all players in their prime, yes? i.e. when they were at their absolute best?

from, say, 1985 on
1. SS- Jose Reyes
2. RF- Tony Gwynn
3. 1B- Albert Pujols
4. LF- Manny Ramirez
5. CF- Ken Griffey Jr.
6. C- Mike Piazza
7. 3B- Michael Jack Schmidt
8. 2B- Roberto Alomar
9. P- DH is for pussies

Starting 5
1. Pedro Martinez
2. Randy Johnson
3. Dwight Gooden
4. Roger Clemens
5. Johan Santana

Closer - Mariano Rivera

Yes, Headache, players in their prime, but, I'm assuming their prime lasted a while (No Dale Murphy action). Agree that Carlton is not the best ever, would argue him for Top 10.

Reyes at SS? Really? Friggin Met fans. :)

You happy with the Mets offseason, or, reserving judgement until Zito is signed?

Criteria - a player you've seen play on TV or in person and can vividly recall, not all-time players. Put together a team designed to win, not just the best player you've seen at each position. In other words, make sure you have a lead-off hitter, some defense out there, etc.

using that, i'm going to go with

rf- ichiro
2b- roberto alomar
lf - barry bonds
1b- albert pujols
ss- alex rodriguez
c- ivan rodriguez
cf- ken griffey jr.
3b- scott rolen

sp- pedro martinez
sp- roger clemens
sp- randy johnson
sp- kevin brown
sp- greg maddux

closer- eric gagne

Headache in a Suitcase said:

ummmmmm no.

bob gibson anyone? sandy koufax? hello?

maybe, but arguable.

Yes, I'm biased. You got me.

I'd put him on that level of Koufax and Gibson though. All of his downhill years make people forget sometimes just how dominant he was. And twitchy. Very twitchy.

No spoken words said:
You know, in retrospect, maybe I'd go with Ichiro.....Brown was devastating at his best, but, was often not at his best.....

yes and by the criteria i thought we were just going by the best during their prime. gagne and brown certainly dont have longevity, but they were amazing when they were at their best.

I guess it's all about how you define prime. I was thinking players that had a prime that lasted several years...Brown would qualify, Gagne, sadly , no.....I hope Gagne can pitch this season, he's fun to watch.

i define prime as a player at their best. eric gagne qualifies for me since, albeit on steroids probably, he did set the consecutive saves record allowing only 31 hits in those 63 saves as well as over 100 K's.

During his career, Gagné has converted 161 saves out of 167 save opportunities for a conversion rate of 96%. It is not uncommon for even the most successful closers to have 6 or more blown saves in a season, let alone a career. By comparison, Mariano Rivera has a conversion rate of 88%, Trevor Hoffman's is 89%, and Billy Wagner's is 86%. Each of these elite closers has blown 6 save opportunities in a season at least once, although their careers outspan Gagné's.

if im talking whole careers, im taking mariano hands down. but if im talking about during their prime, i'm taking eric gagne. he was absoultly untouchable and won the cy young as a relief pitcher...not an all too common thing.

No spoken words said:
Reyes at SS? Really? Friggin Met fans. :)

yup... was a-rod better? yup... ripkin? yup... tejada even, sure, why not. but you said develop a lineup, not just a dream team.

if i'm taking manny ramirez, thus not taking ricky henderson, i need a dynamic speedster at the top to hit in front of the greatest #2 hitter to ever play, tony gwynn. reyes it is. he put up numbers not seen from a leadoff hitter last year since henderson i his prime.

StlElevation said:
i define prime as a player at their best. eric gagne qualifies for me since, albeit on steroids probably, he did set the consecutive saves record allowing only 31 hits in those 63 saves as well as over 100 K's.

During his career, Gagné has converted 161 saves out of 167 save opportunities for a conversion rate of 96%. It is not uncommon for even the most successful closers to have 6 or more blown saves in a season, let alone a career. By comparison, Mariano Rivera has a conversion rate of 88%, Trevor Hoffman's is 89%, and Billy Wagner's is 86%. Each of these elite closers has blown 6 save opportunities in a season at least once, although their careers outspan Gagné's.

if im talking whole careers, im taking mariano hands down. but if im talking about during their prime, i'm taking eric gagne. he was absoultly untouchable and won the cy young as a relief pitcher...not an all too common thing.

i see where you're going there, but it's the post-season performances that still make it mo for me.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i see where you're going there, but it's the post-season performances that still make it mo for me.

yeah, theres no arguing against taking mariano whatsoever, especially with his post season track record... aside from blowing the 2001 world series :wink: . but yeah, full careers or even taking post season into account, mariano. i can't really hold that to gagne because, well, LA hasn't been the powerhouse the yankees have been. who knows how gagne would have flourished or choked in that situation.

plus, i enjoy being different in my picks...even if most of them are the same. if this were a true all-time team, then it would be a lot different. but since im 19 and only really paid attention from about 1996 onwards, my pool of players to pick is significantly smaller.

StlElevation said:

yeah, theres no arguing against taking mariano whatsoever, especially with his post season track record... aside from blowing the 2001 world series :wink: .

While we're picking on Rivera, he also failed to close the door on the Red Sox in 2004 :drool: :wink:

C- Mike Piazza
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
3B- George Brett
SS- Barry Larkin
LF- Rickey Henderson
CF- Ken Griffey Jr.
RF- Tony Gwynn

Util- Craig Biggio

Lineup:
Henderson (R)
Gwynn (L)
Thomas (R)
Griffey (L)
Piazza (R)
Brett (L)
Sandberg (R)
Larkin (R)

Can you imagine having to pitch to this team? It'd be a nightmare on your bullpen trying to pitch matchups plus other than Thomas and Piazza these guys all had good to great speed plus their hitting abilities. Teams could run on me and first base's defense might be kinda weak but I think the offensive pop of these two could more than compensate.

Starting 5-
Roger Clemens
Greg Maddux
Nolan Ryan
Pedro Martinez
Johan Santana

Closer- Rivera

A few people picked Johan....I think that a few years from now, if he keeps his current pace up, I'd go with him, too. He's so impressive, that change up is unhittable. Nolan Ryan is tempting.

As for Reyes, Headache, explanation makes sense, just wanted to hear your rationale. I hate the Mets but enjoy Reyes and Wright, who wouldn't?

I just can't see Gagne over Rivera here, but, again, that's the fun of it.

Ok, just saw a promo for Armed and Dangerous during the Steeler game...what the hell? Celebrities acting as REAL cops. Ugh, makes me want to no longer work in TV.

1988-present

1B- Albert Pujols
2B- Robbie Alomar
3B- Wade Boggs
SS- Derek Jeter
CF- Griffey Jr.
LF- Rickey Henderson
RF- Larry Walker
C- Joe Mauer
Bench- Vlad Guerrero

SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Pedro Martinez
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- John Smoltz
SP- Johan Santana

RP- John Wetteland

Batting Order
1 Henderson
2 Alomar
3 Griffey
4 Pujols
5 Walker
6 Boggs
7 Jeter
8 Mauer
9 Greg Maddux

Manager- Bobby Cox

While I haven't come up with my own list, I know that I wouldn't have Nolan Ryan on the list. He accomplished a lot of great things, but they were mainly the result of longevity over dominance. He struck a ton of people out, but he gave up a crazy amount of walks (twice over 200 in a season) and never really had a season of being untouchable like a Pedro, Clemens, etc. Just my opinion. :shrug:

From what I understand, the deal with Nolan Ryan, was that he really tried to be unhittable. A lot of pitchers get you out by setting you up to hit their "out" pitch. Ryan was different. He wouldn't give you a pitch to hit and thus threw a lot of balls when he was trying to hit the fringes of the strike zone. Ryan walked a lot of guys because he was ornery not because he lacked control.

Back
Top Bottom