Baseball Dream Team

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
StlElevation said:

yeah, theres no arguing against taking mariano whatsoever, especially with his post season track record... aside from blowing the 2001 world series :wink:

well if joe torre has the infield back as they should have been... :wink:

on a side note, i'm really surprised that so many people are leaving off manny ramirez. the man's the best hitter i've ever seen (except for barry bonds, of course... but i left him off for obvious reasons).

yeah, i would have taken Manny if not for barry bonds. but even pre-roid bonds was awesome. its a tough call ,pretty much a coin flip for me. i hate bonds, but hes still one of the best ever, so i had to put him on.

I picked Manny! He might play for the BoSox AND he might be a dick, but he's a fierce hitter and a decent glove in the outfield when he gives a shit.

• 1990: National League Most Valuable Player • 1990: National League Gold Glove at OF
• 1991: National League Gold Glove at OF • 1992: National League Gold Glove at OF
• 1992: National League Most Valuable Player • 1993: National League Most Valuable Player
• 1993: National League Gold Glove at OF • 1994: National League Gold Glove at OF
• 1994 ESPY: Male Athlete of the Year • 1994 ESPY: Outstanding Baseball Performer
• 1996: National League Gold Glove at OF • 1997: National League Gold Glove at OF
• 1998: National League Gold Glove at OF • 2001: National League Most Valuable Player
• 2002 ESPY: Moment of the Year • 2002: National League Most Valuable Player
• 2002 ESPY: Outstanding Baseball Performer • 2003: National League Most Valuable Player
• 2004: National League Most Valuable Player • 2004: National League Silver Slugger

its tough to argue with thati f youre taking an all time team...especially an all time current team as we are assembling.

C Carlton Fisk (The original "Pudge", I'm older than a lot of you punks)
1B Albert Pujols (Attitude sucks, but talent undeniable)
2B Ryne Sandberg (The real Mr. Cub :wink: )
SS Ozzie Smith (Best ever defensively)
3B George Brett (Nobody played harder, nearly hit .400)
LF Jim Rice (Look up 1977 through 1979)
CF Ken Griffey Jr. (Could have been the all time greatest if not for injury)
RF Tony Gwynn (Maybe the best pure singles hitter ever)

SP Roger Clemens (No Brainer)
SP Pedro Martinez (Gerbil free zone)
SP Orel Hershiser (Dominant at 129 lbs)
SP Greg Maddux (Craftiest ever)
SP Tom Seaver (Electric stuff)

Closer Mariano Rivera (Undeniable clutch performer)

I did not choose Manny because I cannot have a DH. If there was a DH, I'd have chosen him. SI ran an article about him 2 years ago, and, within the article as a box breaking down his splits for his career....road, home, day, night, al only, interleague, artificial turf, grass, etc....he was a career .300 hitter for every single split...he's a hitting savant. But, and let's not be fooled by his assist totals, he's a horrid outfielder, and so, I did not want him in my OF. Sublime hitter, though.

As for Ryan, I don't think his high walk total is attributable to his approach...the man had control issues, especially early in his career.

STLElevation, kill me the say I use an ESPY award as a mean to prove someone's value. :)

And, Hewson, thank goodness someone closer to my age posted. Finally. I thought about Fisk...but, I'd went with the 2nd Pudge over the original....we agreed in a few places, though, and are both old enough to have Seaver, thank goodness...:)

Remember: this line-up should be about a team winning championships. Fisk was great, but he's got zero championships. Bonds or Griffey Jr. don't have any rings either. Every guy on my team has won a championship.

Fisk's game winning HR in game 6 in 1975 is enough resume.

Guys like Griffey and Bonds don't have rings cause they were on teams with sh*t pitching staffs.

You can't honestly say that when all is said and done Johnny Damon is a better player in his prime than Ken Griffey Jr. or Paul O'Neill is better than Barry Bonds, big or little head version.

I definitely did not choose my team with their rings, or lack thereof, in mind. Sure, the more post-season success some of these guys have enjoyed, the more alluring of a choice they become (Rivera), but, to leave, let's say, Gwynn, off because the Padres never won a title seems a tad unfair. I loathe Bonds but his performance in the 2002 WS was unreal...though, one could turn around and cite his lack of post-season success prior to that season.

Regardless, I would hate to think guys like Gwynn and Ryne Sandberg could not be on such a team because they never won a ring. If I were older, I could not choose Ernie Banks??? Ted Williams???

i didnt really mean to use the ESPY thing, i just copied/pasted his awards from his ESPN profile page.

Too bad Fisk's HR was for nothing. The BoSox, as we know, came up short in the 75 Series. Why do these players play? For the championship of course! If you're going to assemble a team, why not assemble one with that goal in mind? I want guys who show up when it counts and win. Keith Hernandez didn't hit as well as Mattingly, but Keith was unquestionably the on-field leader for the 1986 Mets championship team. Plus, he did help play a key role in the Cards' 1982 World Champion, so this wasn't Keith's first time at the dance. Carlton Fisk was a great player, but I'm sure he'd love to have a ring. His HR in Game 6 wouldn't have been better if the BoSox had won the Series, but it didn't happen.

C Lance Parrish
1B Lance Bergman (his nickname was Bergy and my mother had a crush on him)
2B Sweet Lou Whitaker (they're not booing, they're louing)
SS Alan Trammell (I wish I had been in a coma from 2003 until the end of 2005)
3B Tom Brookens (piss off HoJo, brookens & I had the same glove!)
LF Larry Herndon
CF Chet Lemmon
RF Kirk Gibson
DH Darell Evans

SP Jack Morris (worm burner ... has any player ever shorted more spit finger fastballs?)
SP Dan Petry
SP Milt Wilcox
SP Frank Tannana (mostly because I can't stomach putting Berenguer on here)
SP Dave Rozema (has one of the hottest sis-in-laws you will ever see...)

Closer Guillermo (Don't call me "Willie") Hernandez

I actually think Kirk Gibson would be an interesting pick, amazing clutch performer.

OK, here we go...

C - Sandy Alomar Jr.
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Robby Alomar
3B - Wade Boggs
SS - Nomar Garciaparra
LF - Barry Bonds
CF - Kirby Puckett
RF - Dwight Evans
DH - David Ortiz

Bench - Tony Pena, Craig Biggio, George Brett, Reggie Jackson, Manny Ramirez

SP - Pedro, Clemens, Jack Morris, John Smoltz, Dave Stewart
Bullpen - Johan Santana, Tom Gordon, John Franco, Lee Smith, Dennis Eckersley, Mariano Rivera (Closer)

Manager - Joe Torre (I'd have gone with Whitey Herzog, but I didn't put together a real 'Whitey' kind of team)

Lineup:
Boggs
Robby Alomar
Ortiz
Pujols
Bonds
Nomar
Puckett
Evans
Sandy Alomar

I'd go to war with that squad...

Nomar gets injured... a lot. Sandy Alomar Jr. ? How many World Series did he win or how many 20 game winners did he catch?

CTU2fan said:
I actually think Kirk Gibson would be an interesting pick, amazing clutch performer.

OK, here we go...

C - Sandy Alomar Jr.
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Robby Alomar
3B - Wade Boggs
SS - Nomar Garciaparra
LF - Barry Bonds
CF - Kirby Puckett
RF - Dwight Evans
DH - David Ortiz

Bench - Tony Pena, Craig Biggio, George Brett, Reggie Jackson, Manny Ramirez

SP - Pedro, Clemens, Jack Morris, John Smoltz, Dave Stewart
Bullpen - Johan Santana, Tom Gordon, John Franco, Lee Smith, Dennis Eckersley, Mariano Rivera (Closer)

Manager - Joe Torre (I'd have gone with Whitey Herzog, but I didn't put together a real 'Whitey' kind of team)

Lineup:
Boggs
Robby Alomar
Ortiz
Pujols
Bonds
Nomar
Puckett
Evans
Sandy Alomar

I'd go to war with that squad...

Interesting list...but, yeah...Alomar at C? You could do better than that.

I was looking at them in their prime, so I was thinking injuries were off the table.

Nomar pre-wrist injury (when all the other stuff started) was winning batting titles, hitting for power, running, and playing good D. Alomar, I went with him because I'm not crazy about Piazza's D, Pudge (Rodriguez) doesn't have a great rep as a pitch-caller, and Pudge Fisk was too old by the time I saw him play. Sandy had I-Rod's gun but was a better pitch caller, before he started getting hurt all the time.

Back
Top Bottom