Barenaked Ladies Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
I love BNL. I went to see them in concert 2 years ago and I think I almost peed my pants laughing. But what I really love about BNL is not their numerous catchy, goofy, They-Might-Be-Giants-like tunes (though I do love them!), but rather their unexpectedly sweet, sad songs that crop up from time to time. I was just listening to "Call and Answer" from Stunt:

but I'm warning you, don't ever do
those crazy messed up things that you do
if you ever do, I promise you
I'll be the first to crucify you
but it's time to prove that you've come back here
to rebuild

There are others, too--"Break Your Heart," "When I Fall," "Conventioneers" (oh that one REALLY kills me), but BNL doesn't seem to get much press around here (weirdly enough). So...appreciate, dammit! :dance:

WHOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!! you're my best frind for starting this thread

i love BNL too. up until i was 14 i only listened to the beatles, and bnl was the first other band that i liked. they were the first concert i went to (stunt tour in 99), and i saw them a second time on the last tour. and the band is fucking hilarious at shows.

i'm not a huge fan of the two jim creegan songs on pirate ship (which is still probably my favourite album of theirs, but that changes on a regular basis)

"tonight is the night i fell asleep at the wheel" makes me cry :sad:

"the old apartment" and "i live with it everyday" and "this is where it ends" belong in some kind of triology the way i see things, and for stupid cheesy-sappy-like reasons meant a lot to me when i was 14.

"shoe box" was the first song i learned to play on the guitar.

"brian wilson" was the song i hated most initially, basically every single band that i really like a lot now i hated at one point. i hated the whole gordon album initially, just because they weren't the beatles. stupid reason, i know. i was just a kid. i was three inches shorter back then.

"maybe you should drive" the most underrated album (from what i can tell) has some really good songs. ok, they're all good.

i should warn you that since i replied to this thread, it will sink like a rock on the page. my mere presence says "do not post here!"

fortunatly it's a band that more people have heard of, whereas if people knew who bad religion and dropkick murphys were, then mtv-punk would be a different place

but i digress...

bnl kicks ass

paxetaurora said:
but BNL doesn't seem to get much press around here (weirdly enough). So...appreciate, dammit!

I think the reason for that is that most of the people who post here tend to be a little too serious about music (not necessarily a bad thing). Seems like most of the posters in Bang and Clatter are scared to ever admit liking a band that makes "fun" music. Honestly, "fun" music DOES have its time and place. I personally get sick of only listening to serious/depressing/angry/arty music all of the time.

I admit I like a lot of Barenaked Ladies songs I've heard. I've never bought any of their albums though. Do they have some type of Best of Compilation? I think they do.

i got hit in the head with an entire box of kraft dinner the first time i saw them. ouch, but there's some masochistic joy in being able to say that. kind of like i got scraped up on the baracade at the bad religion concert. or a bloody lip or a bloody nose in the pit at a local punk show.

and from "a" you get the best appology. "a is for asshole which is what i am how rude of me i owe you an appology i'm sorry" (and i've managed to get that song stuck in my head. it will be there for the rest of the day. not that i mind having it stuck in my head or anything, but it will be amusing when i'm walking to class humming it)

I was listening to Gordon on my way home from school today, so I thought I'd bump this thread, and then I found this discussion about whether or not there is a JtBatC stigma against "fun" music. I'm not sure if this is true--maybe I should start a Wally Pleasant or Weird Al thread and find out. But BNL has a serious side, too. Songs like "What a Good Boy" and "Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep at the Wheel" and "When I Fall" are pretty deep for anyone, not just BNL.

:no: wierd al :no:

i listened to "maybe you should drive" the other day.

Back
Top Bottom