Bang & Clatter's reaction to HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2valleygirl

Refugee
I know a lot of people on this board have very progressive and sophisticated tastes in music. I want to what the regulars on this board are thinking about the album?

My opinion probably doesn't count, because I'm a musical whore. I enjoy "sophisticated" music just as much as I enjoy (not all) pop music. I'm as comfortable with Sigur Ros as I am Bryan Adams, as comfortable with Pink Floyd as Vanessa Carlton. It's not so much that I think each to be of the same quality; rather, I don't think the quality always determines how much one enjoys music. Rather, it simply determines the ways in which one enjoys music. That said, I fucking love "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb"

haven't listened to it yet. i much prefer hearing for the first time when its in my hands and i can actually put in the cd player. i mean, i got nothing against dl'ing, but i'm a materialist, what can i say? :shrug:

I absolutly love this album front to back. The only song that needs to grow on me is "crumbs from your table", other than that this album is going to be playing in my ears for a very long time. My favorite song is still "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"...so moving, and touching.

Edit to ask whether I matter or not...I would hope that I do somehow. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No offense, but can't you guys take those comments to one of the billion HTDAAB virgin threads instead of cluttering up every other discussion on the album?

Yeah, I suppose not.

Anyway, I'm not crazy mad insane about the album like everyone else, although I don't dislike it either. Edge saves it; this album reminds me how much I love his playing. Adam and Larry also haven't sounded this good in a long time. Bono is oversinging like he did in the late eighties, except his voice could actually take it then. His voice's limitations conveyed a sense of longing and desperation on The Unforgettable Fire, but now, it just makes him sound worn out and hurts the album melodically (it wouldn't even be so bad if he kept it to the choruses, which are supposed to be rousing, but he practically screams out even the verses). The lyrics are also goofy, although I understand that's intentional since the album is supposed to be more raw (to balance out All That You Can't Leave Behind, which left me, ironically, complaining about overproduction four years ago).

For a raw album, though, the production is still way too tight. There's no "air" around the instruments; they don't seem to breathe like they do on The Joshua Tree's immaculate soundscapes (even something like Achtung, Baby had considerably more warmth than this; they should've let Lanois have at it alone). Edge's guitar especially sounds a bit overprocessed. This is what kept "Electrical Storm" from really rocking out. The White Stripes this isn't.

There also isn't a tremendous amount of sonic variety, but maybe all the songs haven't fully resonated with me yet. Even ATYCLB took a break from the power-anthems to do a silly acoustic romp like "Wild Honey." Even The Joshua Tree gave us an intermission from Edge's superchimey guitar with "Running To Stand Still." And 90s U2 was full of interesting new sounds. To be fair, though, I felt this way about Boy and October initially but eventually grew to love those albums partly for pounding that early U2 sound into the ground. "Love and Peace or Else" and the keyboards in "City of Blinding Lights" help, though.

Overall, I think it's okay. I'm expecting it to grow on me. I would probably appreciate it more if they hammered it out right off the Elevation tour instead of dicking around for three years. It's underwhelming considering how long they've had to work on it, but it would've made a fun, Zooropa-esque stopgap album. I think, though, that the album's direction is partially because the band stopped worrying so much about every album being a classic (see: ATYCLB) and decided to just put some moments on tape and see what happens.

Last edited:
HTDAAB: :up:

i haven't enjoyed a new U2 release this much since JT, and that's saying a lot. it's amazing--solid from start to finish.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
No offense, but can't you guys take those comments to one of the billion HTDAAB virgin threads instead of cluttering up every other discussion on the album?

Yeah, I suppose not.

Uh... what the hell are you talking about? :huh:

So far its just ok with me. There are 3 tracks I enjoy immensly. However, if this wasnt a U2 album, I would give it the time of day. But, since it is, Im sure I will grow to love it over time....

i like it so far, more than the last one right when it came out. hopefully i'll continue to like this cd longer than atyclb...

i waiting to buy it first. its hard not to sneek a listen but i'll try to be strong.

i'll let you know when i get it how much i love it. :wink:

i like it a hell of a lot. and i'm sure i'll like it even more when i've got the actual album in my hand.

except "crumbs from your table". as of now, the lyrics sound insanely annoying, like 'big girls are best' or some other sub-standard b-side.

i want to say something about the entire album sounds remniscnet of 'if god will send his angels' or christmas lights, but i can't quite figure out what i mean yet.

i really like 'city of blinding lights'.

Jack In The Box said:
I love it, but, same as UnforgettableLemon, I don't count

if neither UF or EM count, then i certainly don't count.

i'm a fucking punk for all intents and purposes on this site...

IWasBored said:

if neither UF or EM count, then i certainly don't count.

i'm a fucking punk for all intents and purposes on this site...

oi! :sexywink:

You count. You, at least, adhere to a greater set of standards from what I can tell. They're just a different type. :)

Okay, yesterday I was kind of like Typhoon, waiting for it to sink in...it sank!!I fucking love this album. The lyrics are complex, so sometimes it takes some time...but I can't listen to anything else now. I'm falling in love again.

I'd reply with my thoughts, but I don't feel like I'm in here nearly as much as I should to reply to a "B&C'ers" thread. :reject:

DaveC said:
I'd reply with my thoughts, but I don't feel like I'm in here nearly as much as I should to reply to a "B&C'ers" thread. :reject:

Come on in! You know I think I should say that everyone who gazes on this board once in awhile counts.

Back
Top Bottom