Bang & Clatter's reaction to HTDAAB? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2004, 04:18 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 09:44 AM
Bang & Clatter's reaction to HTDAAB?

I know a lot of people on this board have very progressive and sophisticated tastes in music. I want to what the regulars on this board are thinking about the album?

Old 11-09-2004, 04:54 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:44 PM
My opinion probably doesn't count, because I'm a musical whore. I enjoy "sophisticated" music just as much as I enjoy (not all) pop music. I'm as comfortable with Sigur Ros as I am Bryan Adams, as comfortable with Pink Floyd as Vanessa Carlton. It's not so much that I think each to be of the same quality; rather, I don't think the quality always determines how much one enjoys music. Rather, it simply determines the ways in which one enjoys music. That said, I fucking love "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb"

Old 11-09-2004, 05:34 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:44 AM
I love it, but, same as UnforgettableLemon, I don't count
Old 11-09-2004, 05:37 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:44 PM
I haven't heard it.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:39 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 09:44 AM
You guys do too count!
Old 11-09-2004, 05:56 PM   #6
Refugee

haven't listened to it yet. i much prefer hearing for the first time when its in my hands and i can actually put in the cd player. i mean, i got nothing against dl'ing, but i'm a materialist, what can i say?
Old 11-09-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

My impatience overrides my materialsim.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:13 PM   #8
Refugee

I absolutly love this album front to back. The only song that needs to grow on me is "crumbs from your table", other than that this album is going to be playing in my ears for a very long time. My favorite song is still "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"...so moving, and touching.

Edit to ask whether I matter or not...I would hope that I do somehow.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:45 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Oh dear, I've established an insecurity motif.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:09 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:44 AM
I'm waiting for the album to come out.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:16 PM   #11
I Serve Larry's Stick

Ditto--I'm waiting to buy it first!
Old 11-09-2004, 07:32 PM   #12
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:44 AM
No offense, but can't you guys take those comments to one of the billion HTDAAB virgin threads instead of cluttering up every other discussion on the album?

Yeah, I suppose not.

Anyway, I'm not crazy mad insane about the album like everyone else, although I don't dislike it either. Edge saves it; this album reminds me how much I love his playing. Adam and Larry also haven't sounded this good in a long time. Bono is oversinging like he did in the late eighties, except his voice could actually take it then. His voice's limitations conveyed a sense of longing and desperation on The Unforgettable Fire, but now, it just makes him sound worn out and hurts the album melodically (it wouldn't even be so bad if he kept it to the choruses, which are supposed to be rousing, but he practically screams out even the verses). The lyrics are also goofy, although I understand that's intentional since the album is supposed to be more raw (to balance out All That You Can't Leave Behind, which left me, ironically, complaining about overproduction four years ago).

For a raw album, though, the production is still way too tight. There's no "air" around the instruments; they don't seem to breathe like they do on The Joshua Tree's immaculate soundscapes (even something like Achtung, Baby had considerably more warmth than this; they should've let Lanois have at it alone). Edge's guitar especially sounds a bit overprocessed. This is what kept "Electrical Storm" from really rocking out. The White Stripes this isn't.

There also isn't a tremendous amount of sonic variety, but maybe all the songs haven't fully resonated with me yet. Even ATYCLB took a break from the power-anthems to do a silly acoustic romp like "Wild Honey." Even The Joshua Tree gave us an intermission from Edge's superchimey guitar with "Running To Stand Still." And 90s U2 was full of interesting new sounds. To be fair, though, I felt this way about Boy and October initially but eventually grew to love those albums partly for pounding that early U2 sound into the ground. "Love and Peace or Else" and the keyboards in "City of Blinding Lights" help, though.

Overall, I think it's okay. I'm expecting it to grow on me. I would probably appreciate it more if they hammered it out right off the Elevation tour instead of dicking around for three years. It's underwhelming considering how long they've had to work on it, but it would've made a fun, Zooropa-esque stopgap album. I think, though, that the album's direction is partially because the band stopped worrying so much about every album being a classic (see: ATYCLB) and decided to just put some moments on tape and see what happens.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:47 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:44 PM
HTDAAB:

i haven't enjoyed a new U2 release this much since JT, and that's saying a lot. it's amazing--solid from start to finish.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:27 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
No offense, but can't you guys take those comments to one of the billion HTDAAB virgin threads instead of cluttering up every other discussion on the album?

Yeah, I suppose not.

Uh... what the hell are you talking about?
Old 11-10-2004, 05:56 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

So far its just ok with me. There are 3 tracks I enjoy immensly. However, if this wasnt a U2 album, I would give it the time of day. But, since it is, Im sure I will grow to love it over time....