Bang and Clatter views on 'Vertigo'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Levity is a welcome change sometimes. For me, lyrical depth can often be sacrificed for energy and melodic breadth... even though vertigo has some less than substantial elements, there are interesting arrangements that make up for it. At the very least, the production quality wasn't polished to an extent that it diluted the final cut.

Overall, I won't change the radio station if I hear it.

:sexywink:

^ I agree. I'm not crazy about the Spanish countdown either (I don't know why) but pretty soon my booty was a-shakin'. :up:

SkeeK said:
I wasn't one of the fans going bananas at the possibility of U2's "Return To Rock". I was a fan of them doing anything so long as it was interesting, and good. With Vertigo, U2 has returned to rock, and they have done it very well, and not been boring about it.

Don't get me wrong ... I like Vertigo (a lot).

However I will reserve my judgements about a "return to rock" until I hear the whole album. What if Vertigo is an anomoly on the album?

Justified said:
The Spanish bits make me laugh.

me too. i keep using it (again, i can't remember if, when, or where i've said this, not like it matters since the same people reading it here probably didn't read it last time) as an away message :shifty:

It makes me dance as much as Mysterious Ways does, which is always a good thing. :up:

And when I was listening to the radio, trying to tape it, so much of what was playing was either crap or just mediocre; this song does stand out. It's well-crafted and shows what 25 years of songwriting can produce.

I'm looking forward to an album of electric guitars, spirited singing, and a rhythm section that makes me want to f...

I've said too much.

Basstrap said:
I agree with salome

for what it is it deserves good grades. as a fun and light frolic

but I can't help shake the feeling that many bands out there today could have written this. And If someone else had written this song, most likely it would have flown under the radar and would have never been talked about.

I pretty much agree with this. I've heard many songs that blow Vertigo away, but have not and will never be played on the radio. I understand that's just part of the game, and I'm not blaming U2 for it, but for me this song is OK, and that's really about it.

If I heard it while I was out somewhere and didn't know who it was, I wouldn't be driven to find out. I won't say there's really anything wrong with it, just that it doesn't thrill me.

I don't know how anyone can dance to this, but all the power to you if you can.

Bono's voice is probably my favourite part. It's...different. I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom