Bang & Clatter Genre Introduction Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screwtape2

Blue Crack Addict
Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Dr
Often people ask for an introduction into a new genre or hope to introduce others to a new genre. Well here is your chance to get exposed or expose great genres. The idea is you pick a genre or era/wave of that genre and create an introduction to it. For example, I might for a genre I might explain what is great about it and some history then have a sampling of that sound. This can be done in two ways either way is acceptable: upload a sampling of any length of your choice or post Youtube videos of those songs. If wish to receive links leave your e-mail and they will be e-mailed to you. Either way is fine. The one thing I ask is that you keep your whole presentation together and not scatter it across many posts or pages. I you want to expose others pick a genre. Please don’t do one that other people have already done instead do a subgenre of it if you want.

Here are some broad examples of genres:
Hip-Hop
Rap
R&B
Soul
Funk
Hard Rock
Metal
Prog Rock
Pop
Techno
Dance
Folk
Jazz
Classical
So on…

Axver would like to do Dunedin Sound, The third wave of Prog Rock and Metal.
I would like to do Jazz Fusion and the first wave of Prog Rock.

Feel free to pick a genre and start making an introduction. Feel free to ask any questions. :up:

I'll probably write something up for shoegaze, as that sounds like fun.

I'm not sure if LMP will want The Funk or not. I'll take it if he doesn't.

I'd like to be introduced to classic jazz.

Irishteen said:

*Meanwhile Zoots composes playlist of bubblegum pop*:wink:

For next desert island... :yippie:

1. Aqua - Barbie Girl
2. Backstreet Boys - Quit Playing Games
3. Spice Girls - Wannabe
4. ............ :hmm:

Zootlesque said:

1. Aqua - Barbie Girl
2. Backstreet Boys - Quit Playing Games
3. Spice Girls - Wannabe
4. ............ :hmm:

Ce Last Vie - B*Witched
You Sexy Thing - T-Shirt
Last Night - Az Yet

Screwtape2 said:

Cool. :up:

Axver said he hoped you would do something on Post-Rock. So you have a reputation of having great tastes.

I could write a little something about post-rock, if people are interested.

I don't think there's any genre I'd be good enough at doing this introducing thing, but I really would like to get into prog....but even what type I'm not sure about...I'm very uneducated :sigh:

Actually, I believe it was Jack In The Box who I namedropped with regards to knowing plenty about post-rock.

Either way, although I've delved a good deal into the genre, I know that it's a seriously diverse genre and there are good chunks that I've overlooked, so it would be good to have some more quality stuff brought to my attention by anyone who knows their post-rock shit.

I would not detest the idea of being introduced to a bit of early jazz, like albums from the fiddys sixties, like miles davis, frank sinatra, if that music is good.

So this is the list so far:

Dunedin Sound- Axver
Third Wave of Prog Rock- Axver
Metal- Axver
Jazz Fusion- Screwtape2
First Wave of Prog Rock- Screwtape2
Shoegaze- U2popmofo
New Wave- Khan
Post-Rock- onebloodonelife
Soul- LemonMelon
Funk-LemonMacPhisto

Who has the Second Wave of Prog Rock then?

What type is best?

Black bear?

Back
Top Bottom