Bands You Don't "Get."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screendoor

The Fly
There's always that one band that's really big, and you don't understand why people like them so much and you feel left out. This thread is for you to tell us what bands you find unappealing that most other people do and why.

My big one is Sigur Ros. I don't understand why people like them so much. It's elevator music that puts you to sleep.

Others are Radiohead and Coldplay, but I can see why people like them. I like a lot of Radiohead. I think they are way overrated, but swell nonetheless.

I just don't understand why people like Sigur Ros. Can Sigur Ros fans clear this up for me?

nirvana... i didnt like them while kurt was alive and i dont like them anymore after he died. i think the music is crummy , his voice is horrible and they're way too overrated.

tool/a perfect circle... i cant stand their fans, everyone ive met who likes them....really likes them and preach about them like a religion.

the grateful dead...while i do like thier music, i dont get people's obsession with them...then again by people I mean hippies...then again i dont do drugs

and the biggest of them all, the one that just about gets me lynched for not liking is...

Led Zeppelin... i can't stand their lyrics, i could care less for them...and the fact that everyone wears the damn tshirts, patches and swear by them make me like them even less

I'm sure i'll think of more later

Elevation2u:

I'm with you exactly on all of them, except Nirvana. Though I think they are overrated as well.

Led Zeppelin is the new rock critic's Beatles. Thankfully I think U2 will become the dominant rock band in critical writing. I could be wrong and I don't know if it will be a good thing either.

Led Zeppelin is the band that everyone seems to "get" but I never have and don't think I ever will. I don't find anything overly apealing about them. There are other bands that I dislike way more than Zeppelin but for how "legendary" they are I just don't understand why. If I had grown up in the 70's I doubt I'd have dug them even then.

My brother and sister love Counting Crows. I've tried, but I just can't really get into them.

Hallucination said:
Led Zeppelin is the band that everyone seems to "get" but I never have and don't think I ever will. I don't find anything overly apealing about them. There are other bands that I dislike way more than Zeppelin but for how "legendary" they are I just don't understand why. If I had grown up in the 70's I doubt I'd have dug them even then.

Ditto.

i quite enjoy Sigur Ros, i found them thanks to the movie Vanilla Sky..
i'm not sure if i "get" them persay, but do i enjoy their music? you betcha..
but..i dont think theyre the greatest thing in the world either

briarrose said:
My brother and sister love Counting Crows. I've tried, but I just can't really get into them.

Yes, I get them. I like their early stuff. They have a fine mix of AAA, and Amer Trad, and Jazz. However, I don't understand why they're so popular nowadays, because all of their recent singles have been crap IMHO. They're a good house band for you're favorite bar, but I don't think they deserve international attention. Maybe it was marketing and that one hit song.

elevation2u said:
i quite enjoy Sigur Ros, i found them thanks to the movie Vanilla Sky..
i'm not sure if i "get" them persay, but do i enjoy their music? you betcha..
but..i dont think theyre the greatest thing in the world either

I mean they're good background music, but I don't know why people are head over heels about them, and actually go to the concerts. I just don't understand why they're so big.

briarrose said:

you've tried? that's more than I've done :wink:

Dave Matthews Band. Talk about overrated.

Bob Marley...well, let me explain. It's the fans that drive me nuts. Dumbass stoner hippie-wannabe kids that wear Bob Marley shirts and use his music as an excuse to smoke pot and play hackeysack all day. What a waste of life. Marley had some decent stuff and I like the political level, but I think he's overrated, but then again I'm not much into reggae in general.

Nirvana
I don't understand the fascination with them, we have Meat Puppets! why love Nirvana?

coldplay :reject:

I like a more than an albums worth of songs but don't find myself to be as attached to them as much as others on this forum. :|

I would say a bit more, but I'm worried of what would happen.
I like them, I'm not saying I don't, it's just I don't get the big 'hype' about them and why they're so popular.. :shrug:

i saw sigur ros live in 2003 and it was the most moving concert experience i've ever experienced. the sound of their music live moved me to the point of almost crying out of joy.

youtooellen said:
I would say a bit more, but I'm worried of what would happen.
I like them, I'm not saying I don't, it's just I don't get the big 'hype' about them and why they're so popular.. :shrug:

You are not alone. They're not bad, they're not fan-bloody-tastic either.

david said:
i saw sigur ros live in 2003 and it was the most moving concert experience i've ever experienced. the sound of their music live moved me to the point of almost crying out of joy.

So are they more of a live thing? Better in concert? Maybe I've heard the wrong songs, but I just can't connect to them.

I would have said the Who at one point but their live performance at Live 8 was pretty damn good.

Nirvana and the Counting Crowes - yeah I'm with the people who don't get the adulation heaped on those two bands.

MrBrau1 said:

Many of the Phish fans I've know have foresaken all other music, and listen to nothing but Phish. Usually live shows.

No comprendo.

Hee. The same thing could be said about some U2 fans. But yeah, I know what you mean, though I like Phish.

financeguy said:
I would have said the Who at one point but their live performance at Live 8 was pretty damn good.

Nirvana and the Counting Crowes - yeah I'm with the people who don't get the adulation heaped on those two bands.

I never thought that the Counting Crows had the same level of fame as Nirvana or The Who.

Nirvana is important because of what they did to the state of modern music. They should be respected, but not revered in my opinion. They popularized what bands like the Pixies had been doing previously.

The Who just rock, plain and simple.

Sigor Ros is a very original band.
They come up with really cool sounds, and I like the way they mix there songs(if you listen to there music with headphones, it is really cool how they pan left and right, and fade in and out there sounds). They remind me of Radiohead and The Doves in a sense, and unforgettable fire U2, how they mix there music.

:love: matthew! :love:

MrBrau1 said:
Many of the Phish fans I've know have foresaken all other music, and listen to nothing but Phish. Usually live shows.
ha! thanks to itunes and the sharing music feature thingie, i was able to see what other people on my wifi network at my old apartment listened to if they too had this feature enabled. one guy's library was seriously 99% phish music, 1% random shit (like the dude had five versions of bananaphone). then he im'ed me over rendezvous and within five seconds i realized he perpetuated the stereotypes people believe about phish fans (stupid stoner type, etc).

anyway, i suppose i don't get radiohead, coldplay, nirvana, or the beatles.

Back
Top Bottom