Bands You Don't "Get." - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:47 AM
I know my ass is going to get kicked for this but I don't get the Beatles at all. I listened to some of their songs and I can't really understand why they were so big. Maybe I just need to get one of their records and try to get into it. I don't know. The same for Nirvana.

If I was to name a solo artist I don't get, it would have to be Britney Spears. She does not make good music. AT ALL. And yet she's sold billions of records. She's just so disgustingly trashy and fake it's so laughable.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:25 PM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:47 AM
I think the problem a lot of people have in appreciating The Beatles is one of context. I mean, if you don't know what music was like before they came around, musically and lyrically, it's hard to truly understand the magnitude of their importance. Their ability to write great pop songs is a given, but knowing the whole story is what will more than likely lower your reservations.
Until they came around, rock and roll wasn't taken seriously as an art form at all.

I'd suggest trying to check out one of the documentaries made on the band--The Compleat Beatles is an older one that's just a collection of clips showing their history, and there's the longer miniseries The Beatles Anthology, which is pretty definitive but requires a commitment. If you want a real music history lesson the latter is well worth watching.

For beginners wanting to check out a single recording, I'd say start with The White Album because it shows the full range of what the band was capable of. After that probably Revolver, because the individual songs are stronger than the stuff on Sgt. Pepper's.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:47 AM
Damnit I just don't get Radiohead!!!!

There I said it.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Here we go.

Pearl Jam - Most people I know outside the online world heap piles and piles of adoration on Pearl Jam. And I just...don't...get it. Eddie Vedder's voice makes me want to hurl myself off a cliff.

Try listening to Vitalogy or No Code...those feature Pearl Jam at their quirky best. For me they complete my holy trinity of favourites, with U2 and Radiohead coming in at number 1 and 2 respectively (Pearl Jam were number 2 before I started listening to certain posts by Radiohead freaks here...).

And Eddie's voice? Well, that's just golden to me......but I could see your point if you were stuck on the first album only, which was overproduced in my view. Its massive success fuelled such crap as Creed and Nickelback. Pearl Jam are so much more than these 'rock monsters'...I think at their core, they are a great blend of folk rock/punk.

Everything else I agree with...except REM. They've had a few great albums, with New Adventures in Hi-Fi being the best, in my opinion.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:57 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:47 AM
The White Stripes.

And The Rolling Stones. I have no desire to see them in concert ever again...I went once in the late 70's, and that was enough.

About two months ago, Radiohead would have made this list, but I'm starting to like certain songs, like Idioteque and Fake Plastic Trees.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:04 AM   #111
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:47 AM
Jason Mraz. All my friends love him. I gasp in horror everytime I show up at a party and he's on the CD player.

Keane. I'm sorry, but the no guitar thing isn't cool, and the lead singer sounds like a girl.

Jack Johnson. There's nothing to his music, and even if there was, Ben Harper did it better years ago.

John Mayer. He just sucks.

Audioslave. Boring, boring, boring rock.

Gwen Stefani. How did her music ever get popular???

And yes, I've given all of these guys their fair of listening, so I can say I really don't "get" them.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:32 AM   #112
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
i don't get this thread.

are people just listing bands they dislike, or has everyone here really, honestly tried to get into all the bands they're listing? i don't mean you heard "smells like teen spirit" 90 times a week on the radio at work, and you're so fucking sick of it that you can't understand why anyone would like nirvana. i mean have you sat down and listened to everything you claim to not understand? i'm not looking to come off as a self-righteous asshole here, although i'm sure that's what's happening, i'm just curious.
Under this definition, Radiohead count. I heard one too many times someone say "you have to keep listening to get it - give them a real chance" that I asked zoomerang for about 5-8 of his personal favourites. I downloaded them all, and honestly I cant even remember what they sound like. And the problem I have with Radiohead is exactly what everyone says "keep listening, you'll get it eventually, give them a go"....who the hell does this with music? Who sits there and thinks 'gee, I really dont like this, but I wont be beaten, damnit! I'll keep listening until I understand/get it/it becomes so familiar I convince myself it must be love!' You just leave it and decide you dont like it. What makes Radiohead so different is beyond me. But people only say this about Radiohead, no one else. Dislike for any other group is much more accepted, overall.

Anyway, under the loose definition of this question I have to say I've never seen the appeal of Gwen Stefani. At first I disliked her as a joke feigning jealousy, but then I realised I actually dont like No Doubt and her solo stuff is exactly the pop Australian/American/Swahili Idol garbage I cant fucking stand. Chart lagging shit which poisons youth. Terrible.

Coldplay, Kasabian, Franz, The Killers, all of them...blah. Dont like what I've heard and have no intention of delving more to find out if this is fair.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:39 AM   #113
The Fly

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack In The Box

listen to songs like "Sad Pony Guerrilla Girl" or "I Luv The Valley Oh!"

well, I'm a big Xiu Xiu fan, what can I say
Support Our Troops Oh!
Old 10-18-2005, 02:43 AM   #114
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl1978
I know my ass is going to get kicked for this but I don't get the Beatles at all. I listened to some of their songs and I can't really understand why they were so big. Maybe I just need to get one of their records and try to get into it. I don't know. The same for Nirvana.

If I was to name a solo artist I don't get, it would have to be Britney Spears. She does not make good music. AT ALL. And yet she's sold billions of records. She's just so disgustingly trashy and fake it's so laughable.
Marketing.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:46 AM   #115
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil

Try listening to Vitalogy or No Code...those feature Pearl Jam at their quirky best.
No Code is the most underrated album ever.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:51 AM   #116
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

Under this definition, Radiohead count. I heard one too many times someone say "you have to keep listening to get it - give them a real chance" that I asked zoomerang for about 5-8 of his personal favourites. I downloaded them all, and honestly I cant even remember what they sound like. And the problem I have with Radiohead is exactly what everyone says "keep listening, you'll get it eventually, give them a go"....who the hell does this with music? Who sits there and thinks 'gee, I really dont like this, but I wont be beaten, damnit! I'll keep listening until I understand/get it/it becomes so familiar I convince myself it must be love!' You just leave it and decide you dont like it. What makes Radiohead so different is beyond me. But people only say this about Radiohead, no one else. Dislike for any other group is much more accepted, overall.

I usually give a song/album a 2-3 listens and if I don't like it at all, that's it for me. I've found that I pretty much know what I like and don't like within that time. Sometimes moving from "like" to "love" for a song takes many more listens, but I don't find that I dislike a song for 20 listens and then start to like it...hell, I'm not going to listen to a song I dislike 20 times...no matter how much other people love it.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:59 AM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Screendoor

Support Our Troops Oh!
weirdest song ever
Old 10-18-2005, 02:54 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Radio Head - just noise to me
Def Lepard - Sooooo over rated
ACDC - praised way too much
DMB - they're good, but not THAT good
Grateful Dead - I don't see the fuss

I'm sure there are more, but my head hurts thinking about these bands
Old 10-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #119
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

It would be easier to list bands I do get:

Zeppelin
Floyd
Beatles
Pixies
Jane's Addiction
HUM
U2
an some others.....
Old 10-18-2005, 04:33 PM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life

Jack Johnson
John Mayer
Audioslave
DMB
Pearl Jam (used to love them. now they put me to sleep)
Linkin Park
Any emo band
Bloc Party
Trance
Beatles (I get why they are massive. I just don't give a shit about them and never have.)
Green Day (loved them when i was a kid. as an adult, i feel sorry for them.)
Toby Keith
Sheryl Crow
The Black Eyed Peas
Sean Paul
Neil Young
Keane

I'm sure there's more.

Oh yeah. Late career Madonna. jaysus.