Bands You Don't "Get." - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2005, 10:03 PM   #91
Refugee

Local Time: 01:07 AM
William Hung is the Antichrist.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:51 AM   #92
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Metallica - people worship this band and the only album which I thougt was somewhat decent was the Black album, which most die hards hate...

Sex Pistols - I don't get it at all.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:34 AM   #93
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
bob marley!!

my whole damn college were infatuated with mr bobby, the shirts, the damn music playing all day, the dreads!!!

it drove me nuts,
white people shouldnt have dreads period.

i dont understand what there isnt to "get" about radiohead, theyre just brilliant

but im sure thats what people say about nirvana and led zeppelin

at least they're listening to the music. the college students you see walking around campus here with bob marley shirts aren't actually infatuated with the music. they don't give a rat's ass about the music. maybe they know "buffalo soldier" and "redemption song". but with some of them, that's pushing it. no, a bob marley shirt is just a way of saying "i like to smoke pot everyday".
Old 10-17-2005, 03:34 AM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Franz Ferdinand

Such stupid monkey songs.............
Old 10-17-2005, 03:36 AM   #95
Blue Crack Supplier

i don't get this thread.

are people just listing bands they dislike, or has everyone here really, honestly tried to get into all the bands they're listing? i don't mean you heard "smells like teen spirit" 90 times a week on the radio at work, and you're so fucking sick of it that you can't understand why anyone would like nirvana. i mean have you sat down and listened to everything you claim to not understand? i'm not looking to come off as a self-righteous asshole here, although i'm sure that's what's happening, i'm just curious.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:02 AM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:07 AM
^But it's all a bit of a catch-22 don't you think? I mean you hear the singles on the radio/on compilation albums or wherever and think, "I hate that". Therefore you have no motivation to buy their albums and you never hear the songs that the fans say would 'convert' you.

For the bands I listed I'd definitely fall into the 'heard a handful of songs and it was hate at first listen so I never gave them another chance'. There's just too many bands' albums that I want to hear before I start moving on to the ones I don't! Nonetheless you are absolutely right in what you say about 'giving them a chance', I'm just explaining why I haven't. And surely the whole point of singles is to entice you into buying the albums anyway? So if some bands' singles don't entice me to do so then perhaps that's a failing on their part in my eyes?
Old 10-17-2005, 04:15 AM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1
^But it's all a bit of a catch-22 don't you think? I mean you hear the singles on the radio/on compilation albums or wherever and think, "I hate that". Therefore you have no motivation to buy their albums and you never hear the songs that the fans say would 'convert' you.

not necessarily. lots of people are listening bands considered to be classics. for years, i hated the rolling stones from the stuff classic rock stations/oldies stations played. i took some time, and looked into some of the stuff that i didn't know (big thanks to mrbrau because he burnt me copies of exile on main street and sticky fingers) to see if i could try to figure out what i was missing. my feelings about the music now aside, i really did hate them. my whole family is quite anti-stones and i grew up being told to hate them like the new york yankees.

as for popular bands like franz ferdinand or the killers, the hype piques my curiosity, and i go check out this stuff.

maybe i'm just a masochist. i'm guilty as anyone of saying "i hate so-and-so" based on a hit single, or not listening to an album becasue everyone is hailing it as the second coming of [insert musical diety here], but that's a matter of taste rather than musical bafflement.

that being said, i don't get (after trying very hard over the course of several years) led zeppelin.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:42 AM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You've got way more dedication than me! What about the other side of the coin, have you ever hated the songs you've heard, got more of their stuff then discovered you actually liked them?

I used to tend to do that but in reverse. I love the songs I've heard, buy the album then discover I actually hate every other song they've done!

(When I say 'their' I obviously mean any band, not the rolling stones)
Old 10-17-2005, 05:10 AM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier

i've hated most of my favorite bands at one point or another. u2, springsteen, the beatles, dropkick murphys, the clash, blood for blood. all for a variety of reasons. the band live? hated them. 1999/2000-ish they were my favorite band. the barenaked ladies - the first band i listened to after i decided that there was more good music out there other than the beatles. despised, loathed, hated them for at least a year. it's pretty rare that any band i like from the get-go has any staying power in terms of being one of my favorites.

i don't hate the stones at all now. and i've been listening to them a lot in the last couple months.

i'm really hoping someone says they know what i mean with that. i'm not so sure it makes sense. i am weird.

not to say i haven't bought albums because i loved the song i heard, only to find out that the rest of the songs were utter crap. that's happened. but i've bought albums for one song, written them off as crap, and then put them into the cd player a couple years later and thought they were great. what the hell was i missing before? i guess that sort of falls under the favorite bands that i hated at one point category.

sorry, it's 5am here and i tend to get long-winded at weird times of the day.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:51 AM   #100
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:07 AM
with reference to the point IWab Bored is trying to make, i'm only gonna list bands that i've actually properly tried to like but just don't get - there are loads that i've heard a song for and instantly disliked for whatever reason and never ecen bothered to try so i won't count them.

rolling stones - i like the odd song here and there, some are great, but most of it just doesn't do anything for me.

greenday - I just don't get "American Idiot". I was all open ears to it when i t came out, i had liked the singles i had heard and the album was getting all these rave reviews so i borrowed it off my mate and listened to it... and listened to it again, and again and again in a desperate attempt to understand. i still don't get it. and yes, 1 album doesn't constitute a band and honestly the only other album i've heard was Dookie which i adored as a 13 year old (as most 13 year olds did at the time) and still have fond memories when i hear it on the radio, but wouldn't actually spend the money on the album to listen to in my own time. i just don't get green day

Pearl Jam - i don't doubt pearl jams greatness, they're highly revered for good reason i'm sure, but i just dont get it

if single artists count: Madonna - I know sh'es huge and i don't understand why except for the fact that shes Madonna. i just don't like that much of her stuff. it would be a struggle for me to listen to a whole Madonna album and believe me I've tried.

Keiser Chiefs - i listened to the album and i like a 1 or 2 of the songs but all in all i'm completely uninspired. And something about Keiser Chiefs annoys the hell out of me, I don't know what it is but I really would love to break the lead singers nose for no particularly good reason what so ever
just one of those things i guess
Old 10-17-2005, 09:51 AM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The Libertines. i don't get them at all. so overrated it's not even funny. a friend of mine the other day described them as "the best British band of the last 10 years"

probably the most ridiculous statement i've heard in a loooooooooooong time
Old 10-17-2005, 09:57 AM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
The Libertines. i don't get them at all. so overrated it's not even funny. a friend of mine the other day described them as "the best British band of the last 10 years"

Has your friend the same attitudes of libertineĀ“s singer?

Old 10-17-2005, 10:14 AM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie

well he's quite clearly deluded. i think he is just bitter that they have broken up so his only way of combatting it is throwing ill-thought out superlatives at them and remembering "the good old days".

the libertines are an ok band but nothing more.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:36 AM   #104
Refugee

Pink Floyd...
With or without Roger Waters..Boring as hell..Live 8 proofed it again.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:16 AM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by elevation2u
nirvana... i didnt like them while kurt was alive and i dont like them anymore after he died. i think the music is crummy , his voice is horrible and they're way too overrated.

I totally agree. I can't understand the allure of this group whatsoever.