Bands You Don't "Get."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't think there is anything to "get" about phish or dmb, save for the fact that they suck.

i can somewhat apreciate sigur ros, but i've heard three of their albums (ab, open parenthesis/close parenthesis, and takk) and it just seems like they are doing the same shit on all of those albums. plus they seem to have their heads too far up their asses for their own good.

i suppose i can't "get" why pavement is supposed to be so amazing, what i've heard of them has had little or no impact on me. i've also never really been able to get into sonic youth. i do like their "commercial" albums (goo, dirty), it's their tuneless noisy stuff (what they do best, apparently) that i don't really care for.

The main thing I don't get about Phish phandom is the whole "stop bathing" thing.

elevation2u said:

tool/a perfect circle... i cant stand their fans, everyone ive met who likes them....really likes them and preach about them like a religion.

You can't stand me? :sad:

Well the one I don't get is The Mars Volta. A lot of people seem to be hailing them as the greatest thing to happen to music ever, when that's far from the truth. They aren't nearly as incredible as everyone makes them out to be. The singer's voice is painful. Some of the instrumentation is pretty cool, but the lyrics make absolutely no sense. People think they are so profound just because they use a lot of big words for the sake of using big words.

It's OKAY at best. They're not as incredible as people are making them out to be though.

Maybe I don't "get it".

And since we're on the topic of Sigur Ros, let me just express my sweet, sweet love for them.

0mG s1gUr R0s Is TeH pWwWnWNnNz0oOo0o0RrRzZzz!1!!1!one!!!!1!11!

I don't 'get' Kanye West. Everyone says he's different from other rappers and is so great and this and that, and NO. He's the SAME as every other rapper out there, he just uses less obscenities. I don't get it. There's nothing special about him as a hip-hopper/rapper.

There are many bands I don't like, but one I definitely don't GET is The Fiery Furnaces. People say they are genius and I say "wtf?"

Here's one: Nickelback.

As in, I don't "get" how anyone in their right mind coughmyroommatecough could listen to them without stabbing themself in the eye.

How did our eyes get so red?
And what the hell is on Joey's head?

best two lines of lyrics evah!!!!

:rockon:

Screendoor said:
I mean if you like Phish, you're going to want to get everything they made.

it's very easy to replace phish with any other band name.

i don't get electronic music, more specifically certain kinds, but i'm not knowledgable enough to know exactly which ones. do i hate drum n bass? probably. trance? fuck, i don't know what trance is. happy hardcore, now that stuff makes me want to kill people...but eh. i don't know. i don't understand how anyone can enjoy listening to repetetive thudding beats, though. it doesn't make me want to dance, it makes me want to stab steak knives into my ears.

A small list:

The Beatles - I do not "get it" with the Beatles AT ALL. And I've copped heaps of shit for this, but whenever I listen to their music, it just does entirely nothing for me.
Nirvana - Not only do they do nothing for me, they genuinely bug me and grate on my ears. Next, please.
The Arcade Fire - This one I'm hesitant to judge, as I haven't heard what I'd deem a significant enough chunk of their material, but what I have heard has not enthused me and doesn't seem worthy of all the accolades people here love to chuck at them.
Radiohead - I enjoy Radiohead in small chunks; more than a few songs and Thom Yorke's voice starts to bother me. I don't understand the "let's worship Radiohead as the god and saviour of music" mentality.
Coldplay - I'll just leave it at this.
Maroon 5 - Everyfuckingone at my school loved them in 2004 and I never understood why.
Green Day - I have just one word to describe this band, and it is 'pathetic'.
The Killers - See Green Day.

That should do for now.

I don't get u2...

:wink: Just a joke mates! :tongue: :D

They can be not the best musicains in all the world but they've got SOUL!!!
Tom

btw: I don't get all this kind of "complicated" music like Radiohead and -yes- R.E.M....what's the use of music if it's too cerebral? ...i prefer crosswords...:wink:

I hate most stuff labelled 'progressive'. It's just utterly dull. If I wanted great exhibitions of instrumental prowess I'd listen to jazz.

I also really don't like the 70s as a musical decade, apart from punk/new wave and certain musicians such as Nick Drake.

namkcuR said:
Led Zeppelin is one of the greatest bands of all time. :drool:

Aaaah, Black Sabbath was better.

As for my list,

Half the Beatles stuff is amazing, the other half I don't get. Stuff like "Hey Jude", "Yesterday", "Long and Winding Road" and "Let It Be", to name a few are just beyond me.

I always thought the Replacements were a little too revered. Great songs, but way too Low-Fi for me. Except for "Answering Machine". That song kicks ass.

Pink Floyd: They're good, but not elite. They've done excellent things with mood and atmosphere, but they can also sound incredibly bloated and heavy-handed to me. There was a reason that Punk came along and gave this kind of Rock a slap in the face.

Elvis Costello: This guy is sharp with the words, but his preferred structural style on his known songs like "Allison" and "Veronica" is a style I don't get. Or maybe I just don't think it's a good style for him, I don't know.

Layton said:

Aaaah, Black Sabbath was better.

As for my list,

Half the Beatles stuff is amazing, the other half I don't get. Stuff like "Hey Jude", "Yesterday", "Long and Winding Road" and "Let It Be", to name a few are just beyond me.

I always thought the Replacements were a little too revered. Great songs, but way too Low-Fi for me. Except for "Answering Machine". That song kicks ass.

You're actually the first person to truly offend me on this post.

Black Sabbath is one of those bands I'd add to my "don't get" list.

Also, you named the best Beatles songs.

And The Replacements own all. ALL. Have you heard their later stuff? You may like that more.

Though I do agree with you on Pink Floyd, which I'll get flogged for.

tommyvill said:
I don't get u2...

:wink: Just a joke mates! :tongue: :D

They can be not the best musicains in all the world but they've got SOUL!!!
Tom

btw: I don't get all this kind of "complicated" music like Radiohead and -yes- R.E.M....what's the use of music if it's too cerebral? ...i prefer crosswords...:wink:

So you're saying music is supposed to be stupid?

kakvox said:
There are many bands I don't like, but one I definitely don't GET is The Fiery Furnaces. People say they are genius and I say "wtf?"

They're amazing in small doses, but they tend to sound repetitive.

namkcuR said:
I don't 'get' Kanye West. Everyone says he's different from other rappers and is so great and this and that, and NO. He's the SAME as every other rapper out there, he just uses less obscenities. I don't get it. There's nothing special about him as a hip-hopper/rapper.

He's the same because he produces all the other people's records. Producers are somewhat more important than rappers in the hip hop business.

Aren't the Black Crowes only popular because Kate Hudson or whatever is married to the singer? I haven't heard their music.

Talk about someone about to get FLAMED. Bands I "don't get":

1>. Here we go, I've been scoffed at by so many friends for absolutely hating this band. ROLLING STONES - I really don't understand why they were so huge. I think they were good but to talk about them the way everyone does is just beyond me. As for being talented musically - I actualy think they all suck.

2>. Another Band that I took a beating about was Nirvana - way overated.

3>. Cold Play - They wouldn't even be a good U2 cover band.

4>. Nickel Back - They are the LAMEST band out there.

With the exception of Karma police, I've not 'got' any Radiohead song that I've heard. Not even the supposedly 'sell-out' Street Spirit. To me, that sounds even weirder.

Also, Muse. :shrug: but one man's rubbish is another's treasure and all that.

Screendoor said:

You're actually the first person to truly offend me on this post.

Black Sabbath is one of those bands I'd add to my "don't get" list.

Also, you named the best Beatles songs.

And The Replacements own all. ALL. Have you heard their later stuff? You may like that more.

Though I do agree with you on Pink Floyd, which I'll get flogged for.

Black Sabbath is much more focused than Led Zeppelin to me. LZ are definately better musicians, but their vibe isn't as strong as the best Black Sabbath stuff. BS brought the noise like Public Enemy did. That's how focused they were at their best. They brought that dark, heavy vibe real hard and didn't mess around with meandering musical ideas, like LZ did. I like it when bands get to the point and bring it hard.

As for those Beatles songs, they gag me. "Hey Jude" is an average at best vision of sadness. It's like they envisioned a big, goopy tear and tried to get the song to sound like one. That's not too imaginative, IMO. Of course, then there's the 'hope reigns supreme' ending which is possibly worse. No real soul or power to that ending. It ranks right along "Everybody Hurts" by REM as the worst attempts at writing a world resounding 'hope' song.

tommyvill said:

:huh:
I disagree with a lot of this whole thread, but it's cool as it's all opinion. But since when is REM complicated?

Here we go.

Pearl Jam - Most people I know outside the online world heap piles and piles of adoration on Pearl Jam. And I just...don't...get it. Eddie Vedder's voice makes me want to hurl myself off a cliff.

Nirvana - Kurt Cobain's voice irritated the hell out of me too.

REM - Sure, I can tolerate Automatic For The People, but I can't get into any of their other stuff.

Franz Ferdinand - Some of it is okay, but it's hardly original.

Green Day - BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Smashing Pumpkins - I feel the same way about them as I do with Pearl Jam.

Coldplay - Don't even get me started.

Back
Top Bottom