Bands/solo artists that you think you should like, but don't.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
A thread for people who hate the White Stripes, Radiohead, Beck, Ani di Franco, and other "great" music (although I hate none of the above).

The Rolling Stones are a good example for me. I just don't like them, despite the fact that I'm constantly told how great they are. They might well be great, but I simply don't get it. I've never been into the Stones.

I also could never get into Phish, and I'm not even sure why since I kind of used to dig the Dead.

I'd have to say Radiohead. I've heard so many people say how great they are, but they don't do all that much for me. The strange thing is when I listen to their music I can hear the Pink Floyd influence, and I love Pink Floyd. So why don't I love Radiohead???

radiohead just isnt for everybody, and thats fine. maybe one day itll just click ya know?

i guess i can say the flaming lips, although its not like i dont like them. i do. its just that ive never really got into them.

I don't like any of the new "The" bands. Punk rock revisted... :huh: No thx.

I ought to like PJ Harvey, Mazzy Star & Kate Bush because most Tori fans recommend them; but PJ's recent songs didn't impress me (but I like the heavy guitars on To Bring You My Love), her brief appearance in Sparklehorse's album wasn't welcome, Mazzy Star sounds too country for me, and Kate Bush is pretty 80s (except Wuthering Heights).

foray

foray - did you ever hear PJ Harvey's "Is This Desire"? It's my favorite (and her best, in my opinion). I kind of agree with you on the others. I used to be a huge Kate Bush fan, but her stuff does sound dated now, except for maybe Hounds of Love which I think is absolutely brilliant and still listen to.

While I don't think I "should" like anybody, people whose musical opinions I respect love Coldplay and I just don't get it. I certainly don't hate them, though.

Well, I don't think that I -should- like anyone, but I never really got the appeal of Pearl Jam and Bruce Springsteen. I tried, but they just don't do much for me.

I should probably add REM to the list, to some extent. I do enjoy a bit of their music, but largely it just lacks a certain oomph factor for me and I don't really see why some people revere them so much.

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:
foray - did you ever hear PJ Harvey's "Is This Desire?

Is that the album name? No, I don't think I have. I've heard only two of her albums so far - TBYML and Stories.

Speaking of dated stuff, do you like Y Kant Tori Read

foray

foray said:

Is that the album name? No, I don't think I have. I've heard only two of her albums so far - TBYML and Stories.

Speaking of dated stuff, do you like Y Kant Tori Read

foray

Yes, "Is This Desire" is the name of the record. It's the only one of her records I'd call almost brilliant. Great lyrics, haunting melodies. It's the record that got her dubbed the Emily Bronte rock chic.

Believe it or not, I do not own and have never heard YKTR all the way through, just selected songs. I figured I'd hate it so I haven't been all that excited about hunting it down, although eventually I should get it.

I don't like the White Stripes or Moby or PJ Harvey.

I've tried to get into Bruce Springsteen, the Flaming Lips, and Tori Amos, but just can't do it. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom