Band of Horses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. MIKEphisto

The Fly
So???

anyone else listened to their debut album??

WOW. I haven't been this impressed since Arcade Fire.

Even Interpol's Antics didn't catch my ear as fast as this one.

anyone with me?

I'm with you...to a point. I wouldn't put them in a league with Arcade Fire just yet, but it is a very impressive debut. I don't find it very original, but what they do, they do very well. My favorite songs include The Funeral, Our Swords, The Great Salt Lake and Weed Party. I expect it'll continue to grow on me.

love "Everything All the Time" :drool: my favorite album of the year so far

it's great, sometimes dark and somber (The Funeral) and sometimes bright and epic (The Great Salt Lake)

beutiful arrangements, great lyrics, awesome debut

Yes, I do agree.

They are not quite the Arcade Fire, but since Funeral and Antics (which I LOVE as well), this is one of the strongest albums I've heard. It makes it sweeter that it's a debut, and hopefully they will get better like Interpol has.

It's very straightforward rocktunes, mixed with some very nice acoustic, and dreamier numbers. It all fits together very well as an album.

If you want to sample them, try out the songs: The Funeral and Monsters (But any song will do, as they are all great).

i'm surprised no one's made a my morning jacket comparison yet.

still, a decent debut. the song 'the funeral' is excellent. :up:

lmj, I actually liken them more to Iron and Wine than MMJ. Some of the band is formerlly of Carissas Wierd, if anyone knows them. they are tight with Sam Beam, I hear some influence.

I agree, the funeral is a standout track.

I like them alot, I've been listening to them the last 3 weeks and it is growning on me.

Elvis Presley said:
lmj, I actually liken them more to Iron and Wine than MMJ.
i'll have to listen to some more iron & wine and see if i can pick that out.

i'm reminded of 'gideon' a LOT when i listen to this cd.

which isn't a bad thing.

lmjhitman said:
i'm surprised no one's made a my morning jacket comparison yet.

still, a decent debut. the song 'the funeral' is excellent. :up:

I can see the MMJ... but I find it much better. My Morning Jacket doesn't do much for me. I listen to them a little...

I've been listening to this album all week. I'm enjoying it very much. The song after Great Salt Lakes sounds alot like "The Way He Sings" by MMJ.

Great CD though, my favorite so far this year.

I like this album and have enjoyed it, but I do think it was a little over-hyped earlier this year. A number of tracks are stellar, but a decent number are also a little same-y and not ultra interesting (though not bad by any means). I can certainly hear the MMJ comparisons in the vocal delivery, but other than that I think they're fairly different bands. Regardless, it's definitely a good debut. Funeral, Great Salt Lake, and Weed Party are my favorite tracks. I was actually kinda obessed with Funeral for a little while, good track.

Sub Pop records really has a good track record for me the last few years, I can almost buy anything they release and like it.

Back
Top Bottom