Band of Gypsys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wizard2c

Refugee
Just going thru some of my songbooks and came upon Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys. Anyone have any feelings or thoughts about these songs?

:|

Well just testament to how much of a groundbreaking genius Hendrix was, even right before he died. He was still exploring new musical directions, and these largely instrumental tracks highlight this even further. Listen to the power and menace of Machine Gun, for example. It's interesting to hear how different the Band of Gypsies lineup sounds compared to Redding and Mitchell from the Experience.

Very underrated stuff. I'd also recommend the posthumous release Voodoo Soup, which contains a lot of great unreleased material.

Yeah

I picked up a few concert of Jimi playing with the band of gypsies. Great music but my fav is from the Royal Albert Hall with Mitchell and Redding. It was on a CD called soundtrack experiance (i think)
Theres an amazing version of Room Full Of Mirrors with someone playing the flute. I don't know but the flute player could be Jethro Tull.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom