Band of Gypsys - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 06-20-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
Local Time: 05:57 PM
Band of Gypsys

Just going thru some of my songbooks and came upon Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys. Anyone have any feelings or thoughts about these songs?

Old 06-21-2006, 03:17 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 10:57 AM
Well just testament to how much of a groundbreaking genius Hendrix was, even right before he died. He was still exploring new musical directions, and these largely instrumental tracks highlight this even further. Listen to the power and menace of Machine Gun, for example. It's interesting to hear how different the Band of Gypsies lineup sounds compared to Redding and Mitchell from the Experience.

Very underrated stuff. I'd also recommend the posthumous release Voodoo Soup, which contains a lot of great unreleased material.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:17 AM   #3
Local Time: 06:57 PM

I picked up a few concert of Jimi playing with the band of gypsies. Great music but my fav is from the Royal Albert Hall with Mitchell and Redding. It was on a CD called soundtrack experiance (i think)
Theres an amazing version of Room Full Of Mirrors with someone playing the flute. I don't know but the flute player could be Jethro Tull.