Band Geeks come here! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2003, 02:04 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Band Geeks come here!

I've noticed that a lot of people were in marching band, and were fellow band geeks like myself. So I thought I'd start a thread, so we could all show off our band geekism, and share stories. So, feel free to tell band camp stories, without having to worry about someone quoting that American Pie movie. Or whatever. I'll let someone else start the actual story telling or whatever, but I'll just say that I graduated in 2000, and I played the bone.

Old 02-06-2003, 02:09 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:16 PM
I graduated in 2001 and played flute.

Old 02-06-2003, 02:30 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I dated 2 flute players in high school! But I won't hold that against you! (Curses the day I met those bitches). Every band needs a group of rebels, a group of guys who don't conform to the ways of the band geek, provide an unhealthy role model for underclassmen, and steal the hearts of the underclassmen girls. We were the "cool guys". Which is pathetic....cause looking back, I don't think we were really that cool, but everyone else was just so lame. But anyone who takes cigarettes to band camp, and lead a raid of the girls floor has to have something going for him.

But I also was a good trombone player. I was second chair for 3 years. But I never did beat Katie....she was just too damn good. Our fight song was "eye of the tiger", and we played songs like "You can call me all", "IN A Gadda Da Vida", "Hey jude" and "You ain't seen nothing yet". No U2........ugh. I will one day write a marching band arrangement of "Discotheque!"
Old 02-06-2003, 02:49 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:16 PM
"You Can Call Me Al" was practically our fight song! Has a cool flute solo that the saxes would always try to steal. We also played Sunshine of Your Love and Oye Como Va a lot.

I know what you mean about flute players, most of them are prissy little bitches with attitude problems.

We went to Vegas one year, that was a blast.

A band arrangement of discotheque would kick ass!
Old 02-06-2003, 03:09 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Oye Como Va was another one we played! HAHA! Yeah, the flute solo on "You can call me al" was actually played by my ex girlfriend. We broke up that week, and then at halftime we performed that song, and it pissed me off to hear her play that solo. She played it so perfectly....perfect little bitch! I hope you aren't like most other flutes!

We went to Disney in FL my senior year for a week. That was arguably the happiest week of my life. I don't mean to sound like I can't get over high school. I have....I live a different life now totally. But I can't remember quite that happy for that long at any other point. Good times.

I play guitar in a band now, so I keep up on my music. I haven't touched my trombone since graduation. I went back to a football game this past season, and one of the younger trombones asked me to play the fight song. I remembered it....like riding a bike.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:46 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:16 PM
I used to play the piano and a bit of the flute. I wasn't in the band though.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:44 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 04:16 PM
i was in my high school marching band, however I did not play an instrument. i was in the flag corp, the dance line and rifle line!
Old 02-06-2003, 10:55 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I played alto saxophone in marching band... *gets out stories*
I'm curious, how competitive were your bands? The people I've met here that were in marching bands in other states, they think Indiana is insane. Of course, we are
Our band haaad... 360 people my senior year, the year we went to LA to be in the Rose Bowl Parade. Which was almost fun but I wouldn't do it again marching for three hours solid when it's hot and your uniforms are designed for Indiana weather = NOT COOL. (no pun intended)
The best we ever did was sixth at state, but that was the year we got random standing ovations from other bands because of our drum break
Old 02-06-2003, 11:04 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:16 PM
a bit off topic, but i used to be prop person for tall flags in my sophomore or junior year in high school along with being in the drama club. that was fun. i travelled with the marching band and tall flags to competitions. some of the tall flag girls were such bitches in our group, always gossiping, always cat fights or verbal one- ups...i left after a month. it was fun while it lasted.

edited cuz im bad at spelling today
Old 02-06-2003, 11:52 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I played clarinet in my high school band. We weren't competitive, though (in terms of marching competitions)- we just played at the football games.

My favorite marching band routine was when we played "The Stripper" by David Rose. At one point we put down our instruments while the drums continued playing, did a little dance, and stripped off one glove. It was hilarious and a lot of fun!
Old 02-06-2003, 12:32 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
my band was very competitive. i marched in several parades. and was for a very short time a part of a drum corp.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:48 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 02:16 PM
When I was in Jr. high I played the trumpet and the marching song we played was "axel F" by herbie Hancock. In High school - now playing the sax- I played in two marching bands, 29 palms and gilroy, both of which were small groups. The gilroy groups' Clarinet section sucked ass! There were a good 8 people in that section and they sounded like one with asthma!
Old 02-06-2003, 01:15 PM   #13
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:16 PM

Popular to contrary beliefs, I was never in band, so I never went to band camp. However, I am associted with such because of my beginning so many stories with "one time".

My sister was in band though; she played cornet. She tried to teach me how to play it, but she yelled at me so horribly everytime I fucked up and made me cry. After that, I swore I'd never play an instrument and joined choir instead.

I also had a redheaded friend named Michelle who played the flute and told lots of band camp stories though.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 02-06-2003, 01:46 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

band camp always provided its share of funny stories, however none were close to American Pie type stories.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:12 PM   #15
War Child

Ahh I played an interesting game of twister at band camp! I won lol any way I play tenor sax in marching band. We are so competetive it is scary. But it's ok. When we went to grand nationals in Indianapolis (At the RCA dome) this year We got 2nd in our class in Semi Finals..that means we are the 2nd best band in the country for our size! We are in the medium size range. We had 112 people including horn line, drumline and guard (flag, rifle, etc) We played Philip Sparke's "Year of the Dragon" (download it...AMAZING!) Our show was called X-Basics. My avatar is me at grand nationals! Yay!

An interesting but not funny band story..When we left for grand nationals, I left my sax at school. I swore i put it on the van but i didn't. I told my director i set it out and the paret must have left it behind..I don't know how i did that..But some parent was leaving to come see us play at grand nats and stopped by the school to get my sax! Ahh they saved my life.

Here's our logo for the 2002 show:
Attached Images
File Type: bmp bg.bmp (67.6 KB, 4 views)