Band energy. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2006, 01:19 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 09:04 PM
Band energy.

So. The first concert I've ever been to was a U2 concert, San Jose II (4/10/05). Second concert ever, U2 again. Portland (12/19/05). So I am under the impression that every concert is a religious experience... So I go into this Coldplay concert thinking it will be the same thing. And although the adrenaline is up, and the loud music fills your body, its not the same . I was expecting to be completely sucked into the music and energy as I have been by U2, but it just wasnt there. Great show mind you, just not the same. I'm not flaming them, but it goes to show the magic that is up there when U2 performs. Nothing like that feeling.

And if anyone saw Coldplay, I forgot what song... But remember when Jonny was up on stage alone, light on him, and he had his slide on his guitar with the weird effect?

That SCREAMED City of Blinding Lights intro

Has anyone else seen a band that's energy and "magic" even come close to U2's?

Old 02-08-2006, 01:45 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:04 PM
Tons. Many, in fact, who far surpassed U2's so-called contemporary "energy." MANY of these bands, though, aren't playing in venues the size of those played by U2. Perhaps that's got something to do with it, but it still fails to explain the 'Head.

In no particular order, here are some of the highlights:

Sleater-Kinney
Radiohead
The Secret Machines
Xiu Xiu
Depeche Mode
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead
Beck
Karmella's Game

And while I haven't ever seen Prince in concert personally, I'm way beyond positive that he puts out that kind of energy.

And then some.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:52 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

the arcade fire
broken social scene
stars
metric
nine inch nails
radiohead (that was a long time ago though)

i'm sure there's more
Old 02-08-2006, 02:24 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:04 PM
Beck
The Boss
Old 02-08-2006, 05:07 AM   #5
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:04 PM
Re: Band energy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zooropa1310
The Finn Brothers. I was right up the back of this 5,000-odd seater arena in Brisbane, land of people who sit through concerts like it's a movie, and the Finns were still completely electrifying. It was almost as good as the U2 concerts I saw. Moments such as the crazily extended Six Months In A Leaky Boat solo or the raw power of I Got You or the lighting black-out during Disembodied Voices were on a par with U2 concert moments, and the on-stage banter between the brothers is far superior to Bono's rambling, somewhat disorganised speeches.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-08-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:04 AM
The Finn Brothers
Old 02-08-2006, 08:29 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Bruce and the E Street Band
Old 02-08-2006, 09:14 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 12:04 AM
The Rolling Stones , Mick Jagger is still one of the best , so what that they look like skeletons , good enough for me , Out of control in the stadium .................. one of the best moments

Old 02-08-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Bruce and the E Street Band
I totally have to second that...but, first, I have to go back in time at least 20 years.

There was indeed a time when The Boss & Co. not only matched U2's energy and such, but eclipsed it by miles upon miles upon miles. That's all in the now-distant past, of course, but so are U2's mega-awesome concert days. It's all relative, I guess. C'est la vie.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
Refugee

Ned's Atomic Dustbin was far and away the most energetic band i've ever seen. i wanted to puke from dancing and smiling...
swervedriver were pretty goddamn good
jellyfish were downright amazing
the verve on 'northern soul' tour
i saw nirvana on the 'in utero' tour. i wasn't a much of a fan, but they really took my breath away.

no real religious experiences. closest thing to that was tool 2001. seriously speaking, the show really made you think in a way only u2 has ever done to me. as u2 presumes it's fans are intelligent, tool demands it.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #11
War Child

Re: Band energy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Zooropa1310
So. The first concert I've ever been to was a U2 concert, San Jose II (4/10/05). Second concert ever, U2 again. Portland (12/19/05). So I am under the impression that every concert is a religious experience... So I go into this Coldplay concert thinking it will be the same thing. And although the adrenaline is up, and the loud music fills your body, its not the same . I was expecting to be completely sucked into the music and energy as I have been by U2, but it just wasnt there. Great show mind you, just not the same. I'm not flaming them, but it goes to show the magic that is up there when U2 performs. Nothing like that feeling.

And if anyone saw Coldplay, I forgot what song... But remember when Jonny was up on stage alone, light on him, and he had his slide on his guitar with the weird effect?

That SCREAMED City of Blinding Lights intro

I honestly don't think so. And it's not like that I only like U2 or only go to U2 shows, I really do enjoy other bands also. But a U2 live show is unique. It has "it," whatever that "it" is. It has the magic. U2 is the only live band that can take you that "higher place" during a show....I like what bono said, "molecules vibrating, God walking through the room"
Old 02-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 04:04 AM
Although U2 is my favorite band and has provided both energy and 'religious' experiences for me playing live, there are many bands who have taken me to other places, so to speak, over the years during their shows.

Here's just a few that come to mind.

Fugazi...Decibals in Mechanicsburg, PA
Radiohead at the Electric Factory, Philly
Arcade Fire...First Unitarian Church, Philly (this was akin to seeing U2 live for the first time).

Ramones (whenever I saw them)
Archers of Loaf (saw them 12 times; sometimes they were spectacular, other times merely above average).
Sebadoh....9:30 Club
Juliana Hatfield...I've seen her more than 20 times, but Fletchers in Baltimore, 1997 stands out for personal reasons.
At the Drive-In...The Why're in New Cumberland, PA

and most recently, The Wrens at the North Star in Philly. Superhuman energy and unbridled enthusiasm!
Old 02-08-2006, 03:51 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:04 AM
the u2 i saw last may in boston had nowhere near the energy that a lot of other bands i've seen have on stage. not because i go see primarily punk and hardcore bands, because i've seen many an unenergetic punk band and it's equally possible to be moved by an orchestra. religious experience at a concert, for me, constitutes as the band and crowd being one entity. this requires crowd interaction on the band's part more than just strutting around a giant oval and flirting with a couple girls, as well as an equal reaction from the crowd. the crowd is into it in whatever way is appopriate for the style of music, and doing whatever it is that they personally do to enjoy a show.

murphy's law - their frontman, jimmy g, is the most insane guy ever. he can play to a crowd of 20 people and still act like it's the best time he's had in his life. maybe it's the drugs and the alcohol, i don't know. but one of their shows is a guarenteed good time. first time i saw them, i didn't even like their music, and i came home a total convert.

i'd take a barenaked ladies show over a u2 show any day.

the toasters. i've come home from toasters' shows, the next day my legs have been so sore from dancing that walking was difficult.

maybe 20 years ago, seeing u2 was an amazing experience. it felt like a washed up classic rock band playing a greatest hits set. if that's what they want to do now, and if the majority of their fans are good with that, i don't care. who am i to say how they should or shouldn't perform? i just find it laughable that anyone would consider it a religious experience.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #14
War Child

Local Time: 09:04 PM
Does anyone have live recordings of these artists you've mentioned? Anda re they just live magic, or is it studio also? I'd REALLY like to hear Arcade Fire live...
Old 02-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #15
Refugee

Local Time: 04:04 AM
while not my favourite band, u2 are my favourite live band, and the only shows i've had that elusive "religious experience" have been u2 shows. radiohead comes darn close, maybe if they didn't play so many damn songs offa hail to the thief, blah . . .

these acts i've seen live multiple times and are also fantastic:

pj harvey
muse
pixies

i've only seen these acts once, but all were pretty impressive:

sleater-kinney
bloc party
secret machines
prince

naturally, most of the best shows i've seen have been in small sized venues, though u2 is one of the few acts that truly have the ability to play to the "cheap seats" and transcend the suckiness of arena/stadium shows. actually, pj harvey was equally amazing opening for u2 in an arena as she was when i saw her in a small club. she's easily the most magnetic performer i've ever seen.