Badfinger: No Dice, Straight Up, Wish You Were Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, I'm gonna talk about Badfinger again.

I've been on this planet for 33 years. Why i waited until the past 4 months to dig into this band is a mystery and a crime against myself.

"I Can't Take It": A rollicking guitar pop masterpiece. Fuzzed out bass, blazing guitar licks, and these crazy horns at the end.

"Blodwyn": An acoustic bouncy folk sing-along. Melody. Oh sweet melody. I have no idea what he's singing about, spoons or somewhat.

"I'll Be The One": A stormer. Countrified rock of a magnificent quality. Harmonies up the whazoo. Weaving guitar lines and a sentiment to fall in love with.

"Take It All": Ohhh. That piano and spiraling organ. Pete Ham, you amaze me. Power ballad to end all power ballads.

"Name Of The Game": Got past the nondescript acoustic intro into a chorus The Beatles would be jealous of. HUGE. Absolutely HUGE. A lesson in vocal harmonies. Epic songwriting.

"It's Over": Slinky lead guitar line into some of the most beautiful harmonies I've ever heard. Would actually fit quite well on Abbey Road. Piano fills, slide guitar lines, and another giant harmonious chorus. More epic stuff.

"Just A Chance": Hard rock heaven. A ripping tune. The Who meet The Beatles. Perfect in every way. Amazing playing, amazing singing, and all hung on a song worth it's salt. This should be a classic rock staple. What happened to this record is a shame.

"You're So Fine": Another countrified rocker. Think early Wilco. A bouncing bass line drives the whole thing. It's all about the margins. Finger picking harmonica and harmonies. Fucking harmonies.

"In The Meantime/Some Other Time": A Floydesque epic. Pianos, guitars, strings and alot of different movements. A darker rock tune. Until the end. Then the light comes through. The back end of a medley written by the drummer of all people. Here come the horns and an amazing vocal melody that just rises above the deep of the first 2/3's of the tune.

"Meanwhile Back At The Ranch/Should I Smoke": What the fuck do I say about this tune? I really can't begin. A rock number on a grand scale. 2 songs melded into one. All the more precious for it. Singing, horns, guitars, and a smashing rhythm section.

These are 3 of the best albums anyone could ever hope to hear. What a tragedy of a band, but the music it brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom