Bad Manners? Fogetabadit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
NEW YORK - New Yorkers are a polite bunch.

No, really, they are. So says Reader's Digest.

The magazine sent reporters "undercover" to 36 cities, in 35 countries, to measure courtesy. New York was the only American city on the list.

In a city with a reputation for being in-your-face, New Yorkers seem to be expressing themselves with a new one-finger salute: a raised pinkie. In fact, they seem to have even better manners than people in London, Toronto and Moscow.

In its admittedly unscientific survey, the magazine's politeness-police gave three types of tests to more than 2,000 unwitting participants.

The reporters walked into buildings to see if the people in front of them would hold the door open; bought small items in stores and recorded whether the salespeople said "thank you"; and dropped a folder full of papers in busy locations to see if anyone would help pick them up.

New Yorkers turned out to be the most polite: 90 percent held the door open, 19 out of 20 store clerks said "thank you," and 63 percent of men and 47 percent of women helped with the flying papers.

In short, four out of five New Yorkers passed the courtesy test.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he's not surprised.

He told reporters Tuesday that whenever he travels abroad, he hears nothing but praise for the Big Apple's good manners.

"We are so jaded," he said. "We want to think the worst of ourselves, and people from around this country and around the world think exactly the reverse."

The rudest continent is Asia, Readers Digest said. Eight out of nine cities tested there — including last place Mumbai, India — finished in the bottom 11. In Europe, Moscow and Bucharest ranked as the least polite.

Reader's Digest, which has readers in 21 languages, is publishing the results in its July issue.

___

Associated Press Writer Verena Dobnik contributed to this report.

http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=27599&pageIndex=2

I went to NYC once, and everybody was really nice. My mom and I spent a day wandering around, and we got really turned around at one point. I asked a guy we were passing on the sidewalk for directions, and he was really kind and got us going in exactly the right way.

We're all nice and polite here! Our natural cynicism and harsh accents give us a bad rap though. I'm also convinced that people from Long Island are the funniest goddamn people in America. Philly and Bostonians are close.

I'm surprised Madrid was that high. Everytime we went there I really began to dislike the people more and more.

Really? I was in Madrid a couple months ago for two weeks and we were stunned by how warm and welcoming the people were--it was an exchange, and we kept worrying about how cold we Americans must have seemed to them!

amerrydeath said:
Really? I was in Madrid a couple months ago for two weeks and we were stunned by how warm and welcoming the people were--it was an exchange, and we kept worrying about how cold we Americans must have seemed to them!

I lived there for 8 months so I can't give an opinion from a tourists point of view, I suppose. Spanish people are just so much different from Irish people and I never got used to that.

The last time we were in Madrid a woman had a fight with me in the street and started cursing at me in Spanish because she had walked into me and was complaining that I wasn't using my eyes. I don't know why that made me so angry, I just needed to go home by that point. :D It was a much more friendly city than the one we lived in, I don't think they had ever seen foreign people before.

Lara Mullen said:

I lived there for 8 months so I can't give an opinion from a tourists point of view, I suppose. Spanish people are just so much different from Irish people and I never got used to that.

The last time we were in Madrid a woman had a fight with me in the street and started cursing at me in Spanish because she had walked into me and was complaining that I wasn't using my eyes. I don't know why that made me so angry, I just needed to go home by that point. :D It was a much more friendly city than the one we lived in, I don't think they had ever seen foreign people before.

sorry that happened...

Sometimes I think that for the tourist is hard to understand how direct the people from spain and south america are. I've never been in spain, but many people has told me that they are quiet frank and they like to express what they feel just how they feel it, and things aren't very different here :). Besides the courses in spanish have that strong sound that comes with the energy of the word itself...

Here in Eastern Canada, people are notoriously polite and good-mannered. We're always welcoming tourists and new people from away into our homes (homes that in many areas are never locked...same with cars). There's a kind of social fabric here that's the product of having to rely on each other for support during the tough times. It's a charming thing to live in a such a respectful environment; it's like a holdover from the past--a time when everyone was friendlier.

As a human, however, I still reserve the right to be an asshole at least once a week. :wink:

Muggsy said:

sorry that happened...

Sometimes I think that for the tourist is hard to understand how direct the people from spain and south america are. I've never been in spain, but many people has told me that they are quiet frank and they like to express what they feel just how they feel it, and things aren't very different here :). Besides the courses in spanish have that strong sound that comes with the energy of the word itself...

I made some really lovely friends while I was there but it was just hard to get used to how they do things. People are very open and direct and they will tell you what they think but here that would just be seen as rude and I used to take things very personally to begin with. I worked with one of the most blunt women I have ever met there and we never agreed on anything, we got along really well though despite the huge differences. She always complained I was too calm and relaxed and she loved getting into heated debates with everyone.

My Spanish will never be good enough to have the energy you talk about. I don't mean to sound negative about the experience because if I was offered another year there I would go again. :)

Lara Mullen said:

She always complained I was too calm and relaxed and she loved getting into heated debates with everyone.

hehe... I've heard that about the americans and I've said the same thing sometimes... When I made a trip to Miami to see a U2 concert I found really kind people always willing to help but they were really quiet and maybe I would think that they were cold but I'm really grateful with them, I was traveling alone for the first time and I was only 18 (and I looked younger) so I had to ask help to some people. I got lost in the stadium a few minutes before the concert and I was really anxious... I saw an spanic lady and I said "i'm lost" (in english) and she asked me If I speak spanish ( I said "si") she said that she would help me to find someone who can help me and she was talking with me all the way. she found a guy who looked from security and she asked him to help me... and he was so kind, he saw my ticket and he was with me until we found the seat... I found weird that he didn't say anything or that he didn't looked me in the eye, although he didn't seem annoyed by a girl who can't find a seat in an arena hehehe...

two things surprised me that day:
* there wasn't any police officer checking purses and bags or stuff like that. If you assist to a big concert here in Bogota you got checked more than twice, and you can't bring spiked shokers or bracelets, or boots with metal toes, umbrellas...
* an old nice lady was checking the tickets... I was like eh??? when I saw her

Last edited:
Muggsy said:

sorry that happened...

The Spaniards are VASTLY different from most Latin Americans, definitely Mexicans. Mexicans can be OVERLY polite. As Lara mentioned, a Spaniard can be at fault over something as simple as bumping into you on the street, and they'll give you the evil skank eye if you're luck/ Yell at you if they're in a bad ass mood. :lol: . It took me a while to get used to it when I got there. I've never been to Colombia, but have been to Venezuela and Peru and found them to be closer to Mexico than Spain in this regard.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Not surprised at Singapore's low ranking on that list.

Not that the people here aren't nice, they just come off as utterly cold sometimes.

Of course, with exception for you yertle :wink:, Singaporeans are truly among the most ill-bred, churlish group of people (especially with consideration for their bank accounts)!

I myself have travelled to various cities worldwide and none stands out as much as Singapore in terms of manners (or lack thereof as is the case)! Yes, while there are a few really good apples in the lot (those would be my local friends :wink:), I could spout off an endless list of highly crude, distasteful behaviour I've either personally experienced or observed over the five years I've been in Singapore. At the same time, I could count the number of times on one hand I've encountered even the most subtle forms of civility demonstrated by Singaporeans.

Let me cite just a few examples of typical Singaporean behaviour:

*During both my pregnancies (when a "baby bump" was more than obvious), I've been denied seats on the train. Apparently, this is a commom experience for not only pregnant women but also the disabled and elderly.

*Despite extensive "courtesy campaigns", the public has no clue how to behave whereby life is made easier for everyone (e.g. when the train stops, you let commuters exit first before boarding the train)

*When in Singapore, expect to be pushed, shoved, stepped on, tripped and cut-off without so much as an ounce of acknowledgment by the offending party. If you find that you inadvertently become the offending party, even if you profusely apologize and try to redress your action, don't be surprized if you meet the offended's "evil eye".

* I was once witness to an incident whereby an older man was closing his eyes while sitting on a bench waiting for the train and unexpectedly collapsed on to the floor, causing all his belongings to scatter. I saw this as I was walking down towards the platform and, lo and behold, not a single person rushed to see whether the poor guy was okay or needed help. In fact, they sat there and stared at him with this bizarre look of condemnation :confused:. (In the end, I was the only one who bothered to assist him and help gather his belongings).

It's seriously not surprising that Singapore's fertility rate remains so low. Its own people probably recognize what a relatively shitty place Singapore is for children to have to grow up in, yet still wholeheartedly embrace the values, regime and institutes that facilitate such a society.

p.s. i would have to say it's a good thing that firearms are banned in Singapore, seeing as it's a ripe place for individuals to go "postal"

Last edited:
my mom said New Yorkers were rude because she had some bad experience at the Port Authority trying to get on a bus years ago, but when I went to NY no one came across as rude to me. they were pretty much all listening to iPods, which I approve of :wink:

Back
Top Bottom