Backstage access...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chizip

Blue Crack Addict
Has anybody had all access to backstage to any big name performers? If so, anybody have any cool stories?

I'm going to have all access backstage to an Ozzfest concert coming up, so that's gonna be interesting. I've never been backstage so I don't really know what to expect.

I just wish Ozzfest had a little stronger lineup this year.

Never had all access...been backstage a couple of times from radio contests (Chili Peppahs and Robert Plant), but was not given free reign.

With all access, you should be able to help Ozzy get dressed. :D

Chizip said:
Has anybody had all access to backstage to any big name performers? If so, anybody have any cool stories?

I'm going to have all access backstage to an Ozzfest concert coming up, so that's gonna be interesting. I've never been backstage so I don't really know what to expect.

I have, and I won't say who, but here's what I would recommend if you've never been through it.... Act Cool and Aloof. If minders, security detail or managers suspect you are a security problem or a "kid in a candy store," you will get bounced or ridiculed. Don't speak to a big artist (Ozzy, etc) unless you are spoken to. Don't look certain artists in the eyes (but you will probably be told beforehand who to watch out for). Don't be loud unless others who are more "official" are also being loud around you. Since I don't know your business back there, don't draw alot of attention to yourself or walk up to an artist. Don't act nervous.

After you've been back there about an hour you'll get the feel of it. You'll find your place in all of it; and once you do - Have a great time! (Just don't walk room to room if you get to feeling too comfortable!)

These are things I have seen people do before (not me) and have gotten bounced and blacklisted by certain artists. Security is a big deal in some cases.

Hope you have a great time!!

i had free reign, all access quite a few years ago when alanis morisette played the greek theatre in los angeles. i wasn't a fan, really, but the free bar was the best.

madonna was there. she actually sat in the seat right in front of me. she was pregnant with lourdes at the time.

meh. i didn't feel as intimidated as to not look anyone in the eye, but that's just me. the only reason i didn't approach madonna was the fact that she was pregnant, and that makes a lot of women nervous, to have strangers pat their bellies. gotta respect the babies. plus the fact that she had two huge bodyguards flanking her.

:slant:

it was quite a lot of fun, actually.

thanks for the advice. geezer butler's wife is gonna be showing me around. it should be an interesting experience to say the least...

Only to CSN a few times.
Met David Crosby a few times. Stills &
Nash had already split.
One time was very funny! I was standing
next to Crosby, and this one dude comes
up. He wanted Cros to autograph 6 cds.
Crosby eyed the guy and said, " ok...
name one of my songs, and a band I was in before CSN?"
Guy answers " Almost Cut My Hair" and "Byrds." Crosby says, " Correct,
but I'm only going to sign one of your
cds. And....you better hope I dont see
this cd on Ebay!"
He signs the cd, and turns to me and
whispers " what an a***hole." LOL!

Chizip said:
thanks for the advice. geezer butler's wife is gonna be showing me around. it should be an interesting experience to say the least...

Oooh - very nice "in." If you're with Mrs. Butler, you should be just fine and will have an amazing time!!! Really, my advice above is based on my experience with a "major" tour and notoriously big assholes who are obsessed with security and what not. Not that OzzFest isn't a big tour with big names - it is - but the people on it might not be as legendarily mean as the one I was apart of. (With the glaring exception of Sharon Osbourne. *shudders*)

I've had a few opportunites.

I worked security at a festival, and they ended up being short-staffed with crew....so I helped load-in and out No Doubt and Love and Rockets. After the the L&R show, they let me hide on their bus for a little bit (which was great, because I am a huge fan of L&R and Bauhaus and all of their projects).

Two years later, I went back to the festival as a "sponsor" with full access backstage pass. I can't remember who played or who I met because the free beer pretty much ruled the afternoon. I do remember hanging out with the English ska band The Specials (also a big fan).

Otherwise, most of the bands I have met...they have come out and hung out with folks after the show who were smart enought to hang out in the bar.

INXS/material Issue concert at then Riverport in St. Louis - The very nice guys of Material Issue let us come backstage with them where we (about 4 of my very nervous friends) discussed deep issues that I cannot remember for the life of me now - INXS came in for a little bit to hang out with Material Issue. My friends and I could hardly speak in the presence of Micheal Hutchance (sp - sorry) I can say that he was very charming and very nice to all of us - a bunch of trembling 17 year olds :)
I went out the next day and got all of their CDs - the concert was amazing

I was put on the guestlist once for AM Radio, due to us hanging out with the lead singer all night--but we never picked up the tickets and it didn't gain my minor sister access to the good, 21+ seats!

I once had Johnny Rzeznik and Mike Malinin from the Goo Goo Dolls walk right past us at the backstage door but they didn't sign any autographs. :down:

This is the closest I have ever gotten to a musician. I think you should hold up your backstage pass like a cross, Chizip, like in Wayne's World. :wink:

AvsGirl41 said:
This is the closest I have ever gotten to a musician. I think you should hold up your backstage pass like a cross, Chizip, like in Wayne's World. :wink:

I love that part. :lmao:

Last edited:
nurse chrissi said:
INXS/material Issue concert at then Riverport in St. Louis - The very nice guys of Material Issue let us come backstage with them where we (about 4 of my very nervous friends) discussed deep issues that I cannot remember for the life of me now - INXS came in for a little bit to hang out with Material Issue. My friends and I could hardly speak in the presence of Micheal Hutchance (sp - sorry) I can say that he was very charming and very nice to all of us - a bunch of trembling 17 year olds :)
I went out the next day and got all of their CDs - the concert was amazing

good to see a fellow st louisian on the board, didnt know there were any

HelloAngel said:
Really, my advice above is based on my experience with a "major" tour and notoriously big assholes who are obsessed with security and what not.

'N Sync? :evil:

:p

Sorry, but it really was too easy not to miss it. :mac:

In the Boston Globe there's an article on how to actually get backstage when you don't have backstage passes. For some strange reason, their main subjects are Hanson fans. :huh:

:shrug:

Marty

Back
Top Bottom