Babel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Numb1075

ONE love, blood, life
Anyone else see this movie?

I thought it was very good. Yes, it was too long (about 2 hours and 20 minutes), and yes there are some disturbing scenes, but I thought it had a lot to say about different cultures & different mediums for communication.

I always find it impressive when someone can write a story about 4 different mini stories and make them intertwine at the end (think Crash).

This movie has 4 different stories taking place in San Diego, Tijuana, Tokyo, and Moroco. Pretty wild....

I saw it over the weekend, enjoyed it. It's long and requires attention, but I thought it was very well done and thought provoking-especially the parts related to immigration and terrorism.

Brad Pitt's performance was good, and Cate Blanchett is always great. There is one moment between them that involves something that is the antithesis of romance, but it is so romantic and intimate and touching. They should work together again.

I'm reluctant to see this one, just because, if it's anywhere near Crash, I'm gonna end up regretting spending money on it. That movie tried so damn hard for a message that it ended up sounding border-line racist.

ahhhh finally someone who shares the same opinion about Crash as I do! Every time I say the same line people are ready to shoot me like its some sacred thing.

However..:reject:
I'm interested in Babel cause I'm a huge fan of the director's work: Amores Perros & 21 grams

bayernfc said:
I'm reluctant to see this one, just because, if it's anywhere near Crash, I'm gonna end up regretting spending money on it. That movie tried so damn hard for a message that it ended up sounding border-line racist.

I agree on Crash, when I first tried to watch it I thought it was too over the top.

Then I finally watched it and allowed myself to enjoy it.

I think Babel is more gripping. I watched it yesterday.

I do want to add that the deaf girl's white cat is beautiful. :wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:

Brad Pitt's performance was good, and Cate Blanchett is always great. There is one moment between them that involves something that is the antithesis of romance, but it is so romantic and intimate and touching. They should work together again.

I'm pretty sure I know which scene you're referring to and I agree.

I saw it last night and found it gripping. I didn't even notice how long it was because I was completely riveted throughout, but then it felt like there was a rush at the end to pull it all together in a nice, neat Hollywood package. That's my main criticism, but still, the performances were incredible and I'm still thinking about the movie. I found the Japanese story to be particularly touching because it was so unusual.

bayernfc said:

You're right!!!
Except the scene (s) involving the little girl i.e. when we first meet her hiding under her bed and when we think she's been shot are the two best scenes of ANY film in years!!!

Come to think of it the scene where Matt Dillon feels up the guys wife is pretty creepy - so is the scene where she's trapped in the car and Dillon happens to be the cop on the scene. Actually, if Crash hadn't tried to go so over the top it could of been brilliant - instead it was pretty damn good (in most parts) and considering the garbage they peddle for "films" these days (at least in Hollywood) that's a good thing.

Last edited:
^ That's exactly my point, it was supposed to be about racism but gathering every single stereotype you can think of (and then some) and somehow relating them together to fit a story-line, is far from a decent analysis of racism.

bayernfc said:
^ That's exactly my point, it was supposed to be about racism but gathering every single stereotype you can think of (and then some) and somehow relating them together to fit a story-line, is far from a decent analysis of racism.

Ok, I get what you're saying. I misread your earlier post. I have mixed feelings about Crash myself but overall liked it.

I think Babel is a flawed film, and the Tokyo story's connection to the other stories is a stretch though so moving I didn't care, and there are certainly many things one can criticize about it. But visually it's stunning, the acting is wonderful, it's both touching and disturbing, and I think worth seeing.

while Babel wasn't horrible..persay.. it didn't exactly win me over. Great directing, cinematography and acting...but the story didn't hold together. It didn't help that Inarritu gave in to the Hollywood ending, and the whole nanny/kids story was so farfetched, I get it, they're trying to prove a point of what immigrants go through but it did feel very Crash at that moment.. it doesn't help that the only lady without a 'happy ending' was the Mexican maid...we get it, the director is Mexican, sympathy points won.

Amores Perros & 21 Grams are up on my list of favorite movies, they're both so fantastic and manage to be realistic and show raw human emotion at tis best while not coming off as forced or preachy.

I give Babel a 6.7

I thought it was very good, but not exactly creative after Inarritu's last two, superior films. The scene in the nightclub with the deaf girl was absolutely astounding though.

Pitt's performance was a wee bit over-rated though, nothing Oscar worthy, but strong.

I finally went to see this, and I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it. I could easily see this winning Best Picture at the Oscars.

I agree with the earlier posts about the movie making me want to visit Tokyo, and that Amelia's story was the least compelling. Honestly, had they cut it out completely, there would be nothing missing from the movie, and it would have been that much shorter.

I felt some sympathy for her character, but she made so many phenomenally stupid choices, that it was hard to feel sorry for her at the end.

Too long, is my main criticism.

But great acting. Chieko's story was my favorite, and the actress was AMAZING. I'm rooting for Jennifer Hudson, and she'll likely win, but I wouldn't be sad if Rinko whatsherlastname scored an upset win.

I've seen it and thought it was good, but not great. The Japanese story was IMO easily the best thing about it and the one that resonated with me the most, probably because it reminded me of how bloody awful it was to be a teenager. The actress playing Chieko was simply astonishing and the nightclub scene was ace. I also liked the Mexican section of the story and felt a lot of sympathy for the maid despite the stupid decisions she's made.

Strangely enough, Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett's were the least memorable characters for me despite their star status and the fact that I've adored Blanchett in pretty much every movie she's done. It was interesting to see Brad Pitt so thoroughly de-glamourised but I just felt like I couldn't care less for the American couple for some reason. I also felt that the film played it a bit unfair in that it invited the audience to condemn the reaction of the US government while also giving them the convenient advantage of knowing that it wasn't really a terrorist attack. And in the end I wasn't convinced that the four stories really gelled together - especially the Japanese one.

Yeah, I feel the same way about the four stories gelling.

Cate Blanchett didn't seem to have much to do, which is kind of funny considering how big a part her character had in the story.

Saracene said:
The actress playing Chieko was simply astonishing and the nightclub scene was ace.

rinko.jpg

she is 26 and has made quite a few films

she is believable as a 16? year old

I had some of the same complaints as others have mentioned.

I sat through it a second time last night.

I actually enjoyed it more this time.

I really liked it, esepciallly the cinematography and production - they should win an oscar for the filmwork in that nightclub scene, though I'm not sure what category it falls under. The whole thing was just visually spectacular.

If the soundtrack has that awesome remix of "September" by Earth, Wind and Fire that was playing in the nightclub scene, I'll buy it for that alone.

Back
Top Bottom