Baaaby Don't Cry..........describe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marijuana Madness

Imagine you are a doctor dealing with a dying patient. The only thing that could help is medicinal marijuana, but it is illegal (for the most part). The patient dies in excruciating pain, but perhaps the end of their life could have been more comfortable with the help of medical cannabis. Medicinal Marijuana is using cannabis sativa (the active ingredient in marijuana) as prescribed by a doctor to help in the relief of pain, nausea, etc. Only eleven states have legalized marijuana for medical uses: Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Nevada, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington. Marijuana for medicinal uses should be legalized in every state, not just eleven. Some people believe that prescribed marijuana prescribed by a physician should remain illegal because it could lead to other, harder drugs. But many others believe that it should be passed as a legal drug (by doctors prescription) because other legal drugs around today could be abused as well. If people were going to abuse marijuana, they would do so whether it was legal or illegal. So, it should be passed as a law to help the chronically ill.

Marijuana is from a Mexican or Latin American origin. In terms of usage, marijuana has been known in central Asia and China around 3,000 BC. In 1937, the United States Marijuana Tax Act prohibited medicinal cannabis. Prior to this, twenty- seven legal medicines contained marijuana.

Marijuana has been proven beneficial with various diseases. It is mostly widely known for helping with Glaucoma, Multiple Sclerosis, and Cancer.

Glaucoma is the second largest cause of blindness in the United States.
“It is a condition where the channels through which the fluid flows gradually become blocked, and the intraocular pressure gradually increases, causing increasing damage to the optic nerve, and gradual deterioration of vision” (Medical Marijuana Uses). It is said that the standard treatments to help with it have unpleasant/dangerous side effects. Long-term glaucoma patients using marijuana have preserved their eyesight 20-25 years longer. In addition, their eyes reduce in pain and the damage occasionally stops. By using medicinal marijuana, the intraocular (within the eye) pressure is lowered and the patient’s vision is restored.

“In the condition known as Multiple Sclerosis the normal functioning of the nerves in the brain and spinal cord is disrupted. Debilitating attacks, which last for weeks, come and go unpredictably, with gradual deterioration and eventual disability. Because the central nervous system controls the entire body, the effects may appear anywhere. Common symptoms include tingling, numbness, impaired vision, difficulty in speaking, painful muscle spasms, loss of co-ordination and balance, fatigue, weakness or paralysis, loss of bladder control, urinary tract infections, constipation, skin ulcerations and severe depression” (Medical Marijuana Uses). The standard drugs that would normally treat this disease are known to be addictive, and have severe short term/long term effects. Many people that have Multiple Sclerosis find out that these medications don’t even work. Cannabis (or marijuana) stops muscle spasms, reduces shaking and pain, and restores balance, speech, and eyesight. Wheel chair bound declare that they can walk independently when they use medicinal marijuana.

The drugs that are used to treat cancer patients are extremely powerful and have toxic chemicals used in medications. These medicines kill both cancer cells and healthy cells, which cause dangerous side effects. “The most common is days or weeks of vomiting, retching, and nausea after each treatment. The feeling of loss of control is highly depressing, and patients find it very difficult to eat anything, and lose weight and strength. People find it more and more difficult to sustain the will to live, and many chose to discontinue treatment, preferring death to treatment” (Medical Marijuana Uses). Marijuana can relieve the nausea of chemotherapy and can allow its patients to eat and live like a normal person. Cannabis is much safer and usually a more effective drug for people that have cancer. People with cancer find it more effective to inhale (smoke) marijuana as opposed to taking it orally, because they have trouble keeping things in their stomach long enough for it to work. By smoking marijuana, it has an instantaneous effect and the dosage is easier to control. Furthermore, cannabis helps them have more of an appetite, giving them the ability to gain weight more easily.

Therefore, marijuana must be legalized to help those in pain with chronic illnesses. It has been proven to be beneficial in dealing with pain and the symptoms of many diseases. It is absurd that any drug prescribed by a physician remains illegal. Doctors must be able to prescribe medicinal cannabis to patients who need it. As of right now, only seven people in the United States are receiving medicinal marijuana supplements from the U.S. Federal Government, as part of the Compassionate Investigational New Drug program. These patients have shown great improvements while using this. These seven are the lucky ones, the U.S. Federal Government should allow medicinal marijuana for everyone who might benefit from it.

Suggestions are welcome :happy:

:up: good job

and I didn't know only SEVEN people in the u.s recieve medicinal marijuana...:|

<my teachers when I was 17 (so long ago now) actually asked my parents whether i was on something because i came to school singing and witha flower in my mouth:cool:

^:lol: I know...I need that kind of energy!

I think my most used smilie must be....:| ..or maybe :wink:

Back
Top Bottom