B I N A U R A L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
What a great album! The more I listen to it, the more I'm convinced it's among Pearl Jam's best, and what is probably their most underrated album. I think it's up there with Ten, No Code and the latest self titled one. Riot Act is just not as good and the others including Yield, Vs. & Vitalogy all have brilliant songs mixed in with some rubbish IMO. Pretty much every song on Binaural, except for maybe Evacuation, is either full of rocking goodness (Breakerfall, God's Dice, Insignificance, Grievance), beautifully acoustic (Of The Girl, Thin Air, Soon Forget) or just melancholy and gorgeous (Light Years :combust: , Nothing As It Seems, Parting Ways)! Can't forget the atmospheric gem, Sleight Of Hand.

Appreciate. :drool:

A beautiful grower. Sleight of Hand and Parting Ways are gorgeous. Breakerfall and Grievance are excellent rockers. Of the Girl and Rival sound like nothing PJ ever did before or after.

Every song (except Evacuation :sick: ) is great. Majority sounds better live as well.

:wink:

I told you Zoot, Binaural is amazing!! It's certainly their most underrated album. It's different from almost everything they done before and it has a special prodution and feeling. Some PJ fans don't like, I totally love it :drool:

Sleight of Hand :drool:
Nothing as it seems :drool:
Soon Forget :drool:
Grievance :rockon:
Insignificance :rockon:

Re: Re: B I N A U R A L

FitzChivalry said:
Yield, rubbish??? Yield is probably my FAVORITE PJ album. But, hey, to each his own.

Well... while Brain Of J, Faithful, No Way, Given To Fly, Wishlist, MFC, Low Light, In Hiding and to a lesser extent, All Those Yesterdays and Pilate are all fucking brilliant I find it hard to listen to stuff like Push Me Pull Me, Untitled (Red Dot) and Do The Evolution.

Compared to that, Binaural only has one song I don't like.. Evacuation!

Re: Re: Re: B I N A U R A L

Zootlesque said:

Well... while Brain Of J, Faithful, No Way, Given To Fly, Wishlist, MFC, Low Light, In Hiding and to a lesser extent, All Those Yesterdays and Pilate are all fucking brilliant I find it hard to listen to stuff like Push Me Pull Me, Untitled (Red Dot) and Do The Evolution.

Compared to that, Binaural only has one song I don't like.. Evacuation!

STOP!!

STOP EVERYTHING!!

You don't like Do the Evolution?? THE riff? The lyrics?? That fucking rock feeling that makes you wanna jump and scream like an idiot??

Along with Alive, DTE is the only song I wanna hear EVERY SINGLE TIME I get to see Pearl Jam.

Yield is just brilliant. MFC » LOW LIGHT » IN HIDING :drool: :drool:

Re: Re: Re: Re: B I N A U R A L

MacPhistoPT said:
You don't like Do the Evolution?? THE riff? The lyrics?? That fucking rock feeling that makes you wanna jump and scream like an idiot??

Along with Alive, DTE is the only song I wanna hear EVERY SINGLE TIME I get to see Pearl Jam.

Sounds like what World Wide Suicide is to me is Do The Evolution to you. DTE is kind of an overkill on the screaming :slant: whereas WWS just fucking rocks! :rockon:

And yeah of course MFC, Low Light and In Hiding are not just the best songs on Yield, they're some of the best of their whole career. :drool:

Yeah, I see your point. WWS is amazing too... I'm not too keen on the chorus, but the verses and the bridge are fantastic. Great melody and great lyrics :up:

OMG the good songs on Yield are so freaking good! :drool: :drool: :drool: And that's like most of the album!

You guys made me want to listen to the album. :wink:

Okay I take back all the awful things I said about Yield. :drool: Right now I'm digging even the weird experimental shit. :drool: :wink:

I can easily list it with the five that proceeded the album....it's not until Riot Act where the band started careening down the hill. In fact, Binaural's pretty damn good, and still one of my favorite albums of this decade, despite all of the greatness that has come out of it.

I thought no one else liked this album! All the reviews I checked before listening said it was uneven and terrible...

The only two songs I really dislike are Gods' Dice and Evacuation, and it kind of makes the opening of the album a drag. But Breakerfall, NAIS, the last half....:drool:

The OOTS said:
An absolute must hear with headphones.

:drool: Oh yeah.

They produced it with Tchad Blake, who used a special micing technique he developed known as "Binaural"...hence the amazingly original album title! :wink:

It really does create a sense of ambiance, especially on Sleight Of Hand, Of The Girl, and Nothing As It Seems. Grievance is my favourite song from the album. The "run to the sea" part gets me every time. I think this performance on Letterman underscores just how great they are in a live setting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1DdhI4VBXA

Keep in mind: this is a restrained bit for television. I love the part at the very end when Eddie is seemingly still lost in the song...the last user comment is also pretty damn funny.

Zootlesque said:

:bow: I love that song! Matt Cameron! :rockon:

Pearl Jam in a live setting = awesomeness!

:up:

I'm convinced they have the best rhythm section in rock right now. Anyone who's unsure about this band has to see them live to understand.

After that, their greatness just becomes a scientific acoustic fact :drool:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Yield is just :drool:

Binaural is :up:

It's funny how no one is giving Evacuation any love, yet last time I saw PJ (July '06) they played it...someone likes it. :shrug:

They didn't play Evacuation since 2003. I think you mixed it up with another song.

angelordevil said:

They produced it with Tchad Blake, who used a special micing technique he developed known as "Binaural"...

It really does create a sense of ambiance, especially on Sleight Of Hand, Of The Girl, and Nothing As It Seems.

I knew that Tchad Blake produced it, and I've always thought it sounded extremely well-produced and crisp, BUT it wasn't until I put it in my kick-ass car cd player today on my way to a depo in south o.c., that I COMPLETELY noticed the production.

It is so cool! From the very beginning notes of "Breakerfall", I swear it sounded like the music and vocals were coming at me from ALL different directions! So bizarre, but supremely awesome! :drool:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: B I N A U R A L

Binaural is a great album, and Light Years is beautiful! The best song from it.
But we need more love on Evacuation. I think it's a good song, not their best, but it's good!

Last edited:
As great as Binaural is, I'd have to say that it probably features the worst album cover art of PJ's career. This picture is actually a little clearer than the cardboard foldout version I have.

B00004T8RK.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The eye bothers me :|

angelordevil said:
As great as Binaural is, I'd have to say that it probably features the worst album cover art of PJ's career.

Actually I like the inside picture of the case a lot more than the cover! That bright yellow expanse of outer space slowly turning orange towards the edges of the case... :combust:

Zootlesque said:

Actually I like the inside picture of the case a lot more than the cover! That bright yellow expanse of outer space slowly turning orange towards the edges of the case... :combust:

Nebula :drool:

Eagle_nebula.jpg

Back
Top Bottom