B&C CD Exchange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
There were a couple positive responses in the random music talk thread on possibly starting this up again, so I thought maybe a separate thread would be a good idea. We used to do these once or twice a year here, essentially everyone who was interested would say they wanted in by a certain date, then someone would randomly pair people together, and those people would make mixes for each other. Some people on their own would make mixes for more than one person, or would send the mix they made to anyone who wanted it, etc. It was a pretty fun way to share music with other people here, and to come up with mixes, etc.

If we did another of these, who would be interested? Would you want to do it the same as the "old way" listed above, or do something different (such as share near and dear albums with the other person)? I'm open to any ideas, as I think there are a number of different things that could be quite a bit of fun. Let me know your thoughts.

I am totally interested in it, it would be a great idea!

u2popmofo said:
Would anyone be interested in dragging the ole "Interference CD exchange" back into existence?

We used to take everyone who signed up and then randomly pair people and have them create cd mixes and exchange them. Some people would make mixes for more than one person though. We could always do something different though (exchange albums we love, or something like that).

Whatcha think?

the tourist said:
Isn't this sort of like the desert island game? :huh:

No, because someone says they would like somebody to make a C.D. for them. Then you volunteer to a make a C.D. for the one who asked. It's a little different than Desert Island becuase it's indiviualized based on what music people like. Also you can send the C.D. to them through the mail instead of mediafire or e-mail.

Good question, the tourist.

Okay. Here's my plan...

In the spirit of the musical exchange, you pick 3-5 artists that you feel others should know. You upload a CD length (80 minutes) playlist representing those artists. You listen to each playlist and see what you like. Hopefully you discover a new artist or rekindle a love of an old one.

I have a couple people interested in this already so we should go with this. :up:

Screwtape2 said:
Okay. Here's my plan...

In the spirit of the musical exchange, you pick 3-5 artists that you feel others should know. You upload a CD length (80 minutes) playlist representing those artists. You listen to each playlist and see what you like. Hopefully you discover a new artist or rekindle a love of an old one.

I have a couple people interested in this already so we should go with this. :up:

Sounds great! ;)

Screwtape2 said:
Okay. Here's my plan...

:up: I'd be up for this, or any other CD exchange idea.

Now I like your idea Screwtype, but what happens when you've got an artist with only one or two albums out? Mayhap mix two artists together? I'm just wondering, this def. sounds fun

onebloodonelife said:

:up: I'd be up for this, or any other CD exchange idea.

OneBlood, I forgot to give you those C.D.s, can I give you those (Blur, and Grammy's) and make you an 80 minute mix C.D.?

Screwtape2 said:
Okay. Here's my plan...

I like it! I'm interested, count me in.

bono_212 said:
Now I like your idea Screwtype, but what happens when you've got an artist with only one or two albums out? Mayhap mix two artists together? I'm just wondering, this def. sounds fun

The number of songs for each artist would be up to you. If you want to use one song by an artist you can. You could even have half the playlist belong to one of your artists. The only rule is it has to be under 80 minutes and 3-5 artists. The rest is up to you. :up:

OH! I wasn't following at first screwtype, I was thinking 3-5 cds as well :crazy: I have a final tomorrow, I'm not quite with it so to speak

Screwtape2 said:
Okay. Here's my plan...

This is a much better idea than sending cds through the mail.

corianderstem said:

No, because it's not a competition.

But it's similar in that the spirit of Desert Island is to introduce people to new music, right?

Screwtape2 said:
Okay. Here's my plan...

:no:
No!!!

At least, not for the ICDE (Interference CD Exchange). What u2popmofo is describing is a CD exchange. Hence, you send out CDs (those tangible shiny discs). That is a good idea. It takes some effort, but that is part of the charm. Just uploading some songs for anyone is too impersonal for me.

u2popmofo said:
If we did another of these, who would be interested? Would you want to do it the same as the "old way" listed above, or do something different (such as share near and dear albums with the other person)? I'm open to any ideas, as I think there are a number of different things that could be quite a bit of fun. Let me know your thoughts.

I'm interested. :)
And I'd prefer it to be of mix CDs, not of full, regular, commercially available albums. Apart from the blatant piracy issue, it's also not a personal mix then.

What might be fun, is if there was a common theme to the ICDE. Or if the participants themselves would indicate what kind of mix they want to receive.

Cute Irish Bono said:

OneBlood, I forgot to give you those C.D.s, can I give you those (Blur, and Grammy's) and make you an 80 minute mix C.D.?

Yeah, for sure! Thanks! :)

Popmartijn said:

No!!!

At least, not for the ICDE (Interference CD Exchange). What u2popmofo is describing is a CD exchange. Hence, you send out CDs (those tangible shiny discs). That is a good idea. It takes some effort, but that is part of the charm. Just uploading some songs for anyone is too impersonal for me.

:up:

Or if the participants themselves would indicate what kind of mix they want to receive.

:up:

I'm definitely interested too. :)

Popmartijn said:

No!!!

Frankly, sending out CDs is a ridiculous idea.

Let's look at the two options here.

1. Sending out CDs: you buy CDs, burn the mix, and then pay for postage. Only one person can receive the mix, or if others want to hear it, you have to pay for more blanks and postage.

2. Uploading stuff: you put together the mix and upload it. Anybody who's interested gets to hear it. No cost to either party. If anybody would like it in CD format, they can burn it for themselves and get exactly what they would have got under option #1.

I'm in for #2 but no way would I consider #1. Postage costs money I'm trying not to spend, and honestly, if I'm putting effort into a mix, I'd like the music to go to as many interested people as possible.

oh yeah, this is going well so far...

Why don't you guys have both options, for those who wish to send/receive CD's in the mail, make that request and for those who would rather just upload/download the files do that...

While I find the idea of downloading the files convenient, there is something nostalgic about being able to get a tangible CD that someone took the extra effort to create and send to me... Maybe you have to be old enough to remember CDs to get it... :wink:

LemonMelon said:

A CD exchange that pretentious would be hilarious.

I can just see it now... "I really liked your CD however it could have used better flow and the transitions between tracks weren't very smooth..."

A ridiculous idea?? Wow.

I never participated in any of the CD exchanges in the past but I remember them being quite successful.

B&C :sad:

The entire purpose of a "CD Exchange" is to "exchange CDs". If actually buying a blank cd and then sending it in the mail is out of your budget or doesn't mesh with your personal lifestyle, you don't need to be involved.

Actually, when I originally stated "sharing albums we like", I actually meant buying and giving that person the actual album. But as it seems that some people here think spending money on just a stamp is too expensive, this likely won't happen.

Back
Top Bottom