B&C CD Exchange - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2
I agree with Varitek. Anyone no matter their income should be allowed to participate. To do it any other way is very exclusive.
This is why we'll do the upload thing seperately. We'll miss out on some music, but so will they.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #47
Blue Crack Distributor

I certainly understand not having extra money, but I hate the thought that the intent of this thing was to exclude anyone. It started as just a "Hey, let's do a CD exchange!"

If you don't want to do it, or cannot do it ... that's too bad (and that's in the honestly intended way, not a dismissive "too bad"), but please don't think the intent was to be classist or exlusionary.

I'm sure there are people who aren't able to participate in Desert Island stuff because they don't have high-speed internet to upload or download.

It is what it is, and nothing more.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #48
She's the One

Jesus.

Panties wadded up about making cds for people. Social studies terms being thrown around just for people who prefer a hard copy. At least with cds, you know some effort went into it, and if you're still using a pc and it crashes, at least you have the cd as backup.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #49
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen
I'm not really sure why there are people here complaining. There's no need. The thread title speaks for itself.

Maybe we could get a list of people who are willing to take part and then decide how to distribute the CDs?

maybe that cd anna sent me 3609832893 million years ago will finally turn up!
Old 05-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Jesus.

Panties wadded up about making cds for people. Social studies terms being thrown around just for people who prefer a hard copy. At least with cds, you know some effort went into it, and if you're still using a pc and it crashes, at least you have the cd as backup.
...you don't back everything up on dvds?

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that the same amount of effort goes in. You're still picking the songs out. You're still making a playlist. But instead of taking 45 minutes to burn it, handwrite the artists and song titles, and mail the thing, you're spending an hour to upload it.

I don't understand why people can't just download the mp3s and then burn it themselves. Are people really that lazy? Or is the whole lack of uploading because the exchange of mp3s through the internet is more stigmatized than the exchange of cds (both equally punishable by the way, btw)? I'm just utterly confused. It's the difference between simple and complicated. But oh well.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #51
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by the tourist

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that the same amount of effort goes in. You're still picking the songs out. You're still making a playlist. But instead of taking 45 minutes to burn it, handwrite the artists and song titles, and mail the thing, you're spending an hour to upload it.
I agree with your general stance on this whole issue, but it's pretty obvious that making CDs takes a lot more effort (read what you just wrote ) it's just that not all of this effort is necessary.

Now.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #52
Blue Crack Distributor

It's not about laziness. At all. Especially since you just said the same amount of time goes into creating a playlist or creating a physical CD.

Maybe this will work better for those who may have wanted to do a Desert Island type thing in the past, but don't have high speed internet or only have a public computer where they can't download anything.

A few of us have already talked about the simple pleasure of doing something an "old-fashioned" way. We like doing it, we like getting a little treat in the mail.

It's nice to do something different. If you don't want to, that's fine. If you can't, I'm sorry and we'll miss your participation, but that's why Screwtape had the good idea to create a separate one. I wouldn't be surprised if some people want to do both.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Lazy-Ass kids today

Why, in my day you had to hold the tape recorder up to the speaker...
Old 05-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #54
Blue Crack Distributor

I used to record my friend's 45s by holding the tape recorder near the speaker. And saying "shhh, now I have to start again!" a lot.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

I'm in.

I have a spindle of CDs laying around that never get used anyway. And, really, 50 cents to be able to share music with other people? Not that big a deal to me.

The only thing is that I have finals coming up, so it might take me a bit to get a mix together. But, after next week, I'll have lots of time to do this.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife
I'm in.

I have a spindle of CDs laying around that never get used anyway. And, really, 50 cents to be able to share music with other people? Not that big a deal to me.

The only thing is that I have finals coming up, so it might take me a bit to get a mix together. But, after next week, I'll have lots of time to do this.
It's the international postage that concerns a lot of us, especially because we'd like to share our effort with more than one person. Additionally I don't even own blank CDs anymore so I'd have to go out and buy them, and then take the time to mail them when I'm going from finals and graduation to moving to Europe in the next month.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek

It's the international postage that concerns a lot of us, especially because we'd like to share our effort with more than one person. Additionally I don't even own blank CDs anymore so I'd have to go out and buy them, and then take the time to mail them when I'm going from finals and graduation to moving to Europe in the next month.
That's true. And, I definitely understand the limited financials, since I'm a college student too. Sending a CD to one person either domestically or in another country isn't too bad, but yes, sending it to several would get costly.

Alternatively, we could send the CD to one person, post the tracklist, and if others are interested, either the mix maker or receiver could upload it for others to hear.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

I have an idea:

How about if those of us who can only upload music upload it, and send our links out to everyone. And, if people wish to be nice, they can send an actual cd out to the people who really can't afford to buy blank cds and pay for postage/international postage? Kind of a hybrid sort of a deal?
Old 05-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Jesus.

This is clearly aimed at me, as I'm the one who used the word "classist." I think comments like "some people here think spending money on just a stamp is too expensive" are outrageously out of touch and kind of offensive towards those of us who have suggested that in fact, we cannot afford international postage. Like tourist and others have pointed out, if you want a hard copy, you are welcome to burn it, no postage involved.

And I'd like to say that anyone here is welcome to also upload their tracks for the rest of us or download what we offer in the online thread. Because everyone needs to hear Appleseed Cast and E603!
Old 05-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:25 PM
How do you people have the time to listen to so much new music? I'm barely keeping up with the Desert Island playlists!