B&C CD Exchange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:
How do you people have the time to listen to so much new music? I'm barely keeping up with the Desert Island playlists! :crack:

In the car, while doing homework, while walking, while working in the backroom (after management has left we're allowed to listen to music), while posting on interference. Overall I probably listen to 5-6 hours of music a day on average.

Zootlesque said:
How do you people have the time to listen to so much new music? I'm barely keeping up with the Desert Island playlists! :crack:

I hoard it for later. :lol: Especially for something where there's no competition involved, I can take my sweet time listening and enjoying.

the tourist said:
I have an idea:

How about if those of us who can only upload music upload it, and send our links out to everyone. And, if people wish to be nice, they can send an actual cd out to the people who really can't afford to buy blank cds and pay for postage/international postage? Kind of a hybrid sort of a deal?

:up:

This is similar to what I proposed. (At exactly the same time you posted this.)

the tourist said:

In the car, while doing homework, while walking, while working in the backroom (after management has left we're allowed to listen to music), while posting on interference. Overall I probably listen to 5-6 hours of music a day on average.

i have no idea what a desert island playlist is. or i have an inkling, but take it too personally if someone votes my favorite songs off any kind of landmass. me personally, i've been living under some kind of semi-rock where only the music that i myself seek out gets through. i just wanted the quick and easy digest version of "what has u2popmofo been listening to since we last talked". you know, to obtain that without asking u2popmofo what the hell have you been up to in the last 2 years. knowing that guy, it's a shit ton of music.

edit: dammit, i quoted the wrong post.

Varitek said:

I think comments like "some people here think spending money on just a stamp is too expensive" are outrageously out of touch and kind of offensive towards those of us who have suggested that in fact, we cannot afford international postage.

I was still in school (or had just finished) we we first started doing these back in the day, so I really guess I am out of touch. Back then, I sent a cd to Europe and one to Asia, I don't think either cost me more than $5 US for postage.

Regardless, even the thread title for this was "CD Exchange" so I don't really understand the problem or complaints, hence my "strong" reply. To some extent, I suppose I do take offense to file sharing and illegal downloading, and I'm kinda lumping all of you who won't pay a buck or two to send a cd to your fellow "Interference buddies" as being the same types who probably don't pay for any of their music. Admittedly, this may not be the case at all, so I apologize if I'm wrong or out of line.

Like The Tourist mentioned, I am more than happy to send anyone and everyone one of the cd's I come up with, as you're all good peeps.

elevated_u2_fan said:
I remember when 90 Minute tapes came out and it was a big deal because you could get an extra 15 mins per side...

I can't even tell you how many cassette tapes I had in the 80s, taping stuff off radio once I finally had my own radio/cassette player boom box.

Always a challenge to try and catch the full version of a song, without the DJ nattering during the intro. Those unhelpful bastards!

Or forgetting what you'd already recorded and thus having "Election Day" by Arcadia on your tape 4 times.

I was kind of sad when I finally had to get rid of my tapes, since I no longer had a cassette deck.

Edit: and if it's what we end up doing, I'm more than happy to upload whatever CDs I make and receive. :)

u2popmofo said:
To some extent, I suppose I do take offense to file sharing and illegal downloading, and I'm kinda lumping all of you who won't pay a buck or two to send a cd to your fellow "Interference buddies" as being the same types who probably don't pay for any of their music. This may not be the case at all, so I apologize if I'm wrong or out of line.

Like The Tourist mentioned, I am more than happy to send anyone and everyone one of the cd's I come up with, as you're all good peeps.

Btw, I'd like to just go out on a limb and state this: I've paid for at least 70% of my music; someone in my family and/or band has paid for about another 20%. I've only downloaded about 10%.

Zootlesque said:

I'm planning to stick them all on my iPod and listen this summer while I'm not around the internet as much and have more free time.

u2popmofo said:

I was still in school (or had just finished) we we first started doing these back in the day, so I really guess I am out of touch. Back then, I sent a cd to Europe and one to Asia, I don't think either cost me more than $5 US for postage.

Regardless, even the thread title for this was "CD Exchange" so I don't really understand the problem or complaints, hence my "strong" reply. To some extent, I suppose I do take offense to file sharing and illegal downloading, and I'm kinda lumping all of you who won't pay a buck or two to send a cd to your fellow "Interference buddies" as being the same types who probably don't pay for any of their music. Admittedly, this may not be the case at all, so I apologize if I'm wrong or out of line.

that one exchange was good times. wicked good times. and i was in school. you know, someone definintely sent me a tape because they didn't have a cd burner yet. and that was cool. and i still have this tape (i saw it the other day).

nah, wrong and out of line would be my gut reaction...something along the lines of well good for all you download-only folks, i really don't want to go through the polite formality of caring about what you listen to anyway.

corianderstem said:

I can't even tell you how many cassette tapes I had in the 80s, taping stuff off radio once I finally had my own radio/cassette player boom box.

Always a challenge to try and catch the full version of a song, without the DJ nattering during the intro. Those unhelpful bastards!

Or forgetting what you'd already recorded and thus having "Election Day" by Arcadia on your tape 4 times.

I was kind of sad when I finally had to get rid of my tapes, since I no longer had a cassette deck.

YES fucking DJs!!!! I kept meticulous lists of what I'd recorded and what I was listening for on the radio. But you still never got the opening bars of the song while you were hitting record.

I still have mine somewhere, the few that I made and a couple that were made for us at camp by our counselors various years to represent what we'd been listening to as a bunk.

IWasBored said:

nah, wrong and out of line would be my gut reaction...something along the lines of well good for all you download-only folks, i really don't want to go through the polite formality of caring about what you listen to anyway.

I've never really interacted with you on the forums, but you seem like a real stand-up kind of guy. :up:

:happy:

corianderstem said:

i never realized how ocd i was until i started labeling the crap out of everything in order to avoid stuff like that.

How many of the kids who are "poor" have a cell-phone they pay for?

I dunno. I think the download generation is shooting itself in the foot.

I most likely won't participate because, quite honestly, I get most of my new music from all you folks anyway. I doubt I have anything new to share. :reject:

Varitek said:

I've never really interacted with you on the forums, but you seem like a real stand-up kind of guy. :up:

:happy:

jason varitek is actually my desktop at the present.

don't be fooled, i'm actually an asshole. (and i'm not a guy, but whatever) once upon a time i got myself banned from these parts. i'm just in a relatively good mood as of late.

martha said:

I most likely won't participate because, quite honestly, I get most of my new music from all you folks anyway. I doubt I have anything new to share. :reject:

A lot of those kids have parents who pay their cell phone bill. (I am not one of them.)

You should still participate. I think the point is to show others what you're listening to, whether it's new or not. At least that's what I'm getting from it.

martha said:

Cell phone, internet, rent, school, GAS, insurance, car, car-maintanance savings fund, and I'm currently saving up for an engagement ring. And I work 12 hours a week while taking 20 credits at school. Excuse me for not having extra money to shell out cds.

... and let me tell you, Seattle seems to always pay more for gas than much of the country.

:grumpy:

I wish I were wise enough to have a car-maintenance savings fund. I just shelled out my rebate to Firestone and stimulated their economy to have some repairs done. And I still need more done (although thankfully not urgent).

Maybe if I didn't spend so much money on CDs, I would have had a car-maintenance savings fund. :wink:

corianderstem said:
... and let me tell you, Seattle seems to always pay more for gas than much of the country.

:grumpy:

I wish I were wise enough to have a car-maintenance savings fund. I just shelled out my rebate to Firestone and stimulated their economy to have some repairs done. And I still need more done (although thankfully not urgent).

Maybe if I didn't spend so much money on CDs, I would have had a car-maintenance savings fund. :wink:

Since I'm only working 12 hours a week (instead of the 20 I want--stupid cut-backs :mad: ), I've had to cut back to buying one new cd a month. :(

martha said:

I really don't understand this attitude. It frankly sounds like you are complaining about walking 7 miles to school in the snow uphill both ways...without a cell phone.

I own a laptop (essential for school, my first bought on a scholarship and when that broke an early grad present from my parents replaced it last month) and a cell phone (on my parents' plan, and I know I'm lucky because of it, but I am in school and will pay my own next year when I've got a salary and I believe it's cheaper this way anyway). I bought my new iPod and a digital camera with my work bonus. What of it? I don't have much petty cash, because I'm in school full time AND saving for grad school, AND saving for the next U2 tour, and what I have right now is going to senior week and other graduation-type activities with my gasp real-life friends who I won't see for god knows how long because I'm moving out of the country. What of it? I don't own blank CDs or have an income at the moment for postage but I do have an upload connection.

But even if this were 6 months from now and I was working (and still saving for U2 and grad school) I'd still prefer to upload stuff - it can get to more people that way, including, as tourist and I have both said, to all of you who are welcome to download our stuff and we'd love to hear yours if you upload it (I don't even have an address where I can receive CDs, as this one is good for 4 more weeks and then I'm itinerant for several months). Some of us felt excluded by this plan, and I don't see why people are being downright cruel, and, with your "kids these days" bullshit, frankly immature. (Ironically.)

Zootlesque said:
Clash of old school and new generation! :corn:

If I was working full time, I wouldn't mind as much. But going to school and working part time really fucks a person financially.

honestly people...

let's all take a collective breath here....

In....

and....

Out....

better?

now, what is the big deal with doing both versions? If someone wants to burn a CD and mail it then go for it. If someone wants to upload the tracks, then go for it.

What is the big deal?

elevated_u2_fan said:
honestly people...

let's all take a collective breath here....

In....

and....

Out....

better?

now, what is the big deal with doing both versions? If someone wants to burn a CD and mail it then go for it. If someone wants to upload the tracks, then go for it.

What is the big deal?

Agreed. :up: (as I suggested, I believe about 25 posts ago)

elevated_u2_fan said:

:up:

seriously, no need to get kids these days on us. This is one of the reasons I stopped going to FYM.

Back
Top Bottom