B&C CD Exchange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm interested in a physical CD exchange. Honestly, it doesn't have to be such a big deal. If you can't logistically do it, no big deal. You're not being excluded from some big secret club.

If it's easier for you to exchange music via downloading, great! There have been loads of opportunties for you to do that (Desert Island) and I'm sure there'll be many more.

My one question for the exchange idea: am I understanding correctly that if I'm paired with, say, bono_212, and bono_212 has reported to you that she likes death metal, am I expected to produce a CD with that kind of music, or similar things I think she might like?

Because what if I don't have a lot of options that are similar to whatever her tastes might be?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the idea.

Axver said:

Frankly, sending out CDs is a ridiculous idea.

Let's look at the two options here.

1. Sending out CDs: you buy CDs, burn the mix, and then pay for postage. Only one person can receive the mix, or if others want to hear it, you have to pay for more blanks and postage.

2. Uploading stuff: you put together the mix and upload it. Anybody who's interested gets to hear it. No cost to either party. If anybody would like it in CD format, they can burn it for themselves and get exactly what they would have got under option #1.

I'm in for #2 but no way would I consider #1. Postage costs money I'm trying not to spend, and honestly, if I'm putting effort into a mix, I'd like the music to go to as many interested people as possible.

:up:

Maybe we should divide this into two groups. The few who like spending money on postage for very little music, and the many who like to have more music for free. :up:

elevated_u2_fan said:

While I find the idea of downloading the files convenient, there is something nostalgic about being able to get a tangible CD that someone took the extra effort to create and send to me... Maybe you have to be old enough to remember CDs to get it... :wink:

Mix tapes are nostalgic. Mix cds are tacky. :tsk:

elevated_u2_fan said:

I'm not sure I see the difference :scratch:

Mix cds are about as nostalgic as HTDAAB.

If people are so against having it done easily, as mp3s (which individuals could then burn to disc), then what would be the difference? I'm sure most people have a cd boombox with a tape player. :shrug:

I still prefer doing it the mp3 way--it promotes mass introduction to new music (ie, for free 30 people could listen to your 80 minute playlist instead of you paying $50+international shipping fees to some for those same people to listen to your playlist).

Last edited:
the tourist said:

Mix cds are about as nostalgic as HTDAAB.

I said that mixed CDs "felt" nostalgic, not that they were...

It seems to me most of the youngsters on here are into play lists now and not into the act of burning a CD and printing up accompanying cover art...

Is one better than the other? I don’t think so in the grand scheme of things, they are both accomplishing the same thing.

And as someone who used to make mixed tapes, I'm probably in the minority here but I always thought they were a pain in the ass and are highly overrated...

LemonMelon said:
MP3 playlists are the new mixtape. :yes:

:down: hell, the reason i still prefer tapes (well, in theory, as my tape player bit the dust a couple years ago) is that i hate the mix being something that can get put on shuffle so easily. with a cd, at least there's some semblence of order. sure, you can hit the shuffle button, but there's no accidental drag and drops and oops, you've got another track list, or where did that song go?

but this is really just buying actual albums vs. buying itunes files in a flimsy disguise, isn't it. maybe i'm wrong, but it still is making me want to hit up the cd store.

I make plenty of both. Playlists are functional, but I'm still a fan of CDs. I like the handwritten tracklists and the album art if someone chooses to include it. Plus, I just really like getting mail. :shrug:

corianderstem said:

My one question for the exchange idea: am I understanding correctly that if I'm paired with, say, bono_212, and bono_212 has reported to you that she likes death metal, am I expected to produce a CD with that kind of music, or similar things I think she might like?

Because what if I don't have a lot of options that are similar to whatever her tastes might be?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the idea.

In the past we'd just make any kind of mix we wanted to make for that person. If you wanted to custom tailor something to what they liked, you could. If you just wanted to give them something you liked, you could do that too.

I'm not really sure why there are people here complaining. There's no need. The thread title speaks for itself.

Maybe we could get a list of people who are willing to take part and then decide how to distribute the CDs? :)

So then I think we should make another thread for all in favour of the idea Screwtape provided as most of the superthread kiddies were all about that (despite the fact that only a few of us posted that in here). So, uh, yeah. Good luck on your endeavors :up:

u2popmofo said:
In the past we'd just make any kind of mix we wanted to make for that person. If you wanted to custom tailor something to what they liked, you could. If you just wanted to give them something you liked, you could do that too.

Cool, thanks for clarifying.

And like BonoIsMyMuse, I too just like having a little surprise in my mailbox. :)

Add me to the list - I'm in.

u2popmofo said:
The entire purpose of a "CD Exchange" is to "exchange CDs". If actually buying a blank cd and then sending it in the mail is out of your budget or doesn't mesh with your personal lifestyle, you don't need to be involved.

Actually, when I originally stated "sharing albums we like", I actually meant buying and giving that person the actual album. But as it seems that some people here think spending money on just a stamp is too expensive, this likely won't happen.

Some of us are uni students living on a shoestring, or high school students living on allowance. This is a pretty elitist/exclusive attitude. I know I haven't been around B+C much but I just had to say something about how classist this comment is. Which is why I'm glad there's an alternative.

Also, mix tapes are kinda nostalgic, but CDs? I'm 21 and I remember mix tapes fondly and CDs as a passing era on the way to mp3s.

Screwtape2 said:
I agree with Varitek. Anyone no matter their income should be allowed to participate. To do it any other way is very exclusive.

This is why we'll do the upload thing seperately. We'll miss out on some music, but so will they.

I certainly understand not having extra money, but I hate the thought that the intent of this thing was to exclude anyone. It started as just a "Hey, let's do a CD exchange!"

If you don't want to do it, or cannot do it ... that's too bad (and that's in the honestly intended way, not a dismissive "too bad"), but please don't think the intent was to be classist or exlusionary.

I'm sure there are people who aren't able to participate in Desert Island stuff because they don't have high-speed internet to upload or download.

It is what it is, and nothing more. :shrug:

Jesus. :crack:

Panties wadded up about making cds for people. Social studies terms being thrown around just for people who prefer a hard copy. At least with cds, you know some effort went into it, and if you're still using a pc and it crashes, at least you have the cd as backup.

Lara Mullen said:
I'm not really sure why there are people here complaining. There's no need. The thread title speaks for itself.

Maybe we could get a list of people who are willing to take part and then decide how to distribute the CDs? :)

maybe that cd anna sent me 3609832893 million years ago will finally turn up!

martha said:

Panties wadded up about making cds for people. Social studies terms being thrown around just for people who prefer a hard copy. At least with cds, you know some effort went into it, and if you're still using a pc and it crashes, at least you have the cd as backup.

...you don't back everything up on dvds? :huh:

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that the same amount of effort goes in. You're still picking the songs out. You're still making a playlist. But instead of taking 45 minutes to burn it, handwrite the artists and song titles, and mail the thing, you're spending an hour to upload it. :shrug:

I don't understand why people can't just download the mp3s and then burn it themselves. Are people really that lazy? Or is the whole lack of uploading because the exchange of mp3s through the internet is more stigmatized than the exchange of cds (both equally punishable by the way, btw)? I'm just utterly confused. It's the difference between simple and complicated. But oh well.

the tourist said:

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that the same amount of effort goes in. You're still picking the songs out. You're still making a playlist. But instead of taking 45 minutes to burn it, handwrite the artists and song titles, and mail the thing, you're spending an hour to upload it. :shrug:

I agree with your general stance on this whole issue, but it's pretty obvious that making CDs takes a lot more effort (read what you just wrote :lol: ) it's just that not all of this effort is necessary.

It's not about laziness. At all. Especially since you just said the same amount of time goes into creating a playlist or creating a physical CD.

Maybe this will work better for those who may have wanted to do a Desert Island type thing in the past, but don't have high speed internet or only have a public computer where they can't download anything.

A few of us have already talked about the simple pleasure of doing something an "old-fashioned" way. We like doing it, we like getting a little treat in the mail.

It's nice to do something different. If you don't want to, that's fine. If you can't, I'm sorry and we'll miss your participation, but that's why Screwtape had the good idea to create a separate one. I wouldn't be surprised if some people want to do both.

:lol: I used to record my friend's 45s by holding the tape recorder near the speaker. And saying "shhh, now I have to start again!" a lot.

I'm in.

I have a spindle of CDs laying around that never get used anyway. And, really, 50 cents to be able to share music with other people? Not that big a deal to me.

The only thing is that I have finals coming up, so it might take me a bit to get a mix together. But, after next week, I'll have lots of time to do this.

onebloodonelife said:
I'm in.

I have a spindle of CDs laying around that never get used anyway. And, really, 50 cents to be able to share music with other people? Not that big a deal to me.

The only thing is that I have finals coming up, so it might take me a bit to get a mix together. But, after next week, I'll have lots of time to do this.

It's the international postage that concerns a lot of us, especially because we'd like to share our effort with more than one person. Additionally I don't even own blank CDs anymore so I'd have to go out and buy them, and then take the time to mail them when I'm going from finals and graduation to moving to Europe in the next month.

Varitek said:

It's the international postage that concerns a lot of us, especially because we'd like to share our effort with more than one person. Additionally I don't even own blank CDs anymore so I'd have to go out and buy them, and then take the time to mail them when I'm going from finals and graduation to moving to Europe in the next month.

That's true. And, I definitely understand the limited financials, since I'm a college student too. Sending a CD to one person either domestically or in another country isn't too bad, but yes, sending it to several would get costly.

Alternatively, we could send the CD to one person, post the tracklist, and if others are interested, either the mix maker or receiver could upload it for others to hear. :shrug:

I have an idea:

How about if those of us who can only upload music upload it, and send our links out to everyone. And, if people wish to be nice, they can send an actual cd out to the people who really can't afford to buy blank cds and pay for postage/international postage? Kind of a hybrid sort of a deal?

martha said:

This is clearly aimed at me, as I'm the one who used the word "classist." I think comments like "some people here think spending money on just a stamp is too expensive" are outrageously out of touch and kind of offensive towards those of us who have suggested that in fact, we cannot afford international postage. Like tourist and others have pointed out, if you want a hard copy, you are welcome to burn it, no postage involved.

And I'd like to say that anyone here is welcome to also upload their tracks for the rest of us or download what we offer in the online thread. Because everyone needs to hear Appleseed Cast and E603!

How do you people have the time to listen to so much new music? I'm barely keeping up with the Desert Island playlists! :crack:

Back
Top Bottom