Axl Rose breaks his silence: Chinese Democracy out in 2006?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallucination

Refugee
Click the link for the real thing or just read on.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/9155514

"People will hear music this year," says Axl Rose, puffing on a cigar in the early hours of Saturday morning at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

The notoriously reclusive rocker is of course referring to Guns n' Roses' decade-in-the-making Chinese Democracy, arguably the most anticipated album in rock & roll history. "It's a very complex record," says Rose, a surprise guest at Korn's tour announcement bash. (Others in the house: Jessica Alba, cast members of The OC, and members of Linkin Park, Good Charlotte and the Used.) "I'm trying to do something different. Some of the arrangements are kind of like Queen. Some people are going to say, 'It doesn't sound like Axl Rose, it doesn't sound like Guns n' Roses.'" He then smiles and adds, "But you'll like at least a few songs on there."

Dressed in a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey, cross hanging around his neck, cornrows still intact and sporting a blonde goatee, Rose strolled into the party around 1 a.m., just as the DJ was coincidentally rocking some vintage Gn'R. Approached by a steady stream of women and hard-rock disciples -- including Puddle of Mudd's Wes Scantlin and Papa Roach's Dave Buckner -- Rose is cordial and chatty as he poses for photo after photo. He seems more like an average guy out for a night with friends than the most mythical rock star on the planet in 2006.

And he maintains that that's exactly what he is. "The only time people ever write about me is when I go out to a strip club, because I don't chase the paparazzi down," he says. And, when he's out of the spotlight, Rose says you'll find him doing average-guy stuff: reading books and watching movies. His favorite book is Philip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly. "I was a little scared when I saw they were making it into a movie starring Keanu [Reeves]," he says. "But I guess if he can handle The Matrix, he can do this."

While Rose and his revolving cast of Gn'R bandmates have been working on Chinese Democracy, Papa Roach have achieved platinum status in their own right. But tonight, their drummer reverts to his teenage fan days, asking Rose for a picture and to guest on Papa Roach's next album. Rose strikes a pose and then graciously refers the fellow rocker to his management.

After all, before he lends his talents to others' projects, Rose has one of his own to finish, and he says it's getting there. "We're working on thirty-two songs, and twenty-six are nearly done," he says. Of those, thirteen are slated for the final album. Among Rose's favorites are "Better," "There Was a Time" and "The Blues."

As for a reunion with his former Gn'R mates, that seems unlikely. "I haven't spoken to Slash in ten years," Rose says. "I love the guy, I always wanted everyone to know how great he was, but.... I was just talking to Izzy the other day though."

However, he hints that you could see the current incarnation of Gn'R back out on the road soon. "Every time there's a big festival announced, we get rumored to be on there," he says. "But we'll see what happens."

One thing's for sure: Everyone will be watching.

STEVE BALTIN

I'll take it with a grain of salt. I mean he doesn't actually say people will hear his new album in 2006 be that Chinese Democracy or somthing else. What he says is that "people will hear music this year". Pretty safe play on his part. Can't really misquote that. He's telling the truth either way. People on the Guns N' Roses sites are going ape shit over this and it's true this is the most official news regarding Axl and his album in.... well EVER! So I guess it is kind of exciting but still....Wait and see I guess. Though I'm sure it'll be alot more waiting than seeing. I hope it comes out though

Dear Axl,

No one cares.

Regards,
GnR fans (former and present)

Seriously... how long has Chinese Democracy been in the works? Even the album title, which I'm pretty sure was announced years ago, is already tired and featureless like Axl's post-facelift face. Enough is enough. :shrug:

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
Dear Axl,

No one cares.

Regards,
GnR fans (former and present)

Seriously... how long has Chinese Democracy been in the works? Even the album title, which I'm pretty sure was announced years ago, is already tired and featureless like Axl's post-facelift face. Enough is enough. :shrug:

I'd have to disagree with you. If and when a release date is announced you'll see there are a hell of alot of people who are gonna care and who are gonna wanna hear this album. Myself(lifetime Gn'R fan) included. The album was first rumoured to be coming out in 1997 under the very name Chinese Democracy. Funny thing is that if Axl releases an album and it isn't called Chinese Democracy you're gonna have fans actually bitching about when the hell he's gonna release Chinese Democracy. :laugh:

Last edited:
:laugh:

I'm tired of Axl's antics. There was supposed to be a show here in London when we opened up the John Labatt Center... and, sufficed to say, Axl no-showed. Like always. People keep giving the man chances, and he continually fails to perform. Somewhere along the line his ability to be an asshole overshadowed his brilliance as a musician. How many lineup changes has GnR had since the Spaghetti Incident? He's not getting any more of my money or my respect.

Sure... maybe some people do care. I think they're going to be disappointed.

The world is waiting with bated breath...and it's never going to happen.

Last edited:
Regardless of whether it is crap or not, I really can't help but be immensely curious.

Axl Rose is the only original member left. I don't think anyone could seriously think this album will be anything like classic GNR. That one song that was released on a soundtrack a few years back was terrible, and if that's any indication, prepare yourself.

I think U2 should release an a live album called "Chinese Demorcracy (you snooze you lose)", to serve no other purpose but to spite axl.

Berto87 said:
I think U2 should release an a live album called "Chinese Demorcracy (you snooze you lose)", to serve no other purpose but to spite axl.

:lol: Didn't some other band plan on doing that but dropped it at the last minute?

VR? :hmm:

Zootlesque said:

:lol: Didn't some other band plan on doing that but dropped it at the last minute?

VR? :hmm:

That would be hilarious if Velvet Revolver named their album Chinese Democracy.

Can't wait to hear this. Axl Rose is a superb songwriter; there's no question about that.

And yeah, it would be great if VR did that, something along the vein of dressing up like the new "cast" of GNR for Halloween.

But yeah, can't wait to hear what Axl has come up with.

Yeah the hype is huge and it's gonna be impossible to meet expectations but realy all it has to do is spawn a few classics(no easy task) and top the charts and how can anyoe complain. If it's recieved well and people like it than that's what matters. Of course it'll be a massive dissapointment if it flat out sucks. The song off End of Days(Oh My God) was brutal but when they did tour a few years ago they did have two songs that were actually pretty good. Madagascar and The Blues. If those are any indication than it can only be a good thing. I just can't imagine why it's taken so long. I do remember Axl once saying he wanted to make timeless music so maybe he's trying to avoid making an album that sounds like a certain period in time. Who knows. All I know is that as a Guns N' Roses fan it's been a freaking long ass wait. And yes it was Offspring who threatened to call one of their albums Chinese Democracy but when Axl threatend to sue they decided not to.

Hallucination said:

I'd have to disagree with you. If and when a release date is announced you'll see there are a hell of alot of people who are gonna care and who are gonna wanna hear this album. Myself(lifetime Gn'R fan) included. The album was first rumoured to be coming out in 1997 under the very name Chinese Democracy. Funny thing is that if Axl releases an album and it isn't called Chinese Democracy you're gonna have fans actually bitching about when the hell he's gonna release Chinese Democracy. :laugh:

I remember waiting in line to buy tickets for a Pearl Jam concert and talking to a die hard Guns N' Roses fan that this was to be the year that Chinese Democracy would finally be released.

That was 8 years ago in 1998.

I actually think the whole "Chinese Democracy" thing was first known about in 1995.

In any event, the last GNR album was released in September 1991. September 2006 will mark 15 years since the release of Guns N' Roses last album or new original material.

I think Axl needs to adopt Sting's concept about making albums, "you don't finish an album, you abandon it".

STING2 said:
In any event, the last GNR album was released in September 1991.

Wasn't The Spaghetti Incident technically a GNR album even if it was full of covers? That was released in what.. 93 or 94? That makes it about 12 years.. not much better. :lol:

As for a reunion with his former Gn'R mates, that seems unlikely. "I haven't spoken to Slash in ten years," Rose says. "I love the guy, I always wanted everyone to know how great he was, but....

This quote right here bugs me for some reason. :|

He always wanted everyone to know how great Slash was?? I'm sure people figured it out doooooood.

Why does it bug me? arghhh :huh:

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:

Wasn't The Spaghetti Incident technically a GNR album even if it was full of covers? That was released in what.. 93 or 94? That makes it about 12 years.. not much better. :lol:

I meant the last album of GNR material. The Spaghetti Incident was not original GNR material and came out in late 1993.

STING2 said:

I remember waiting in line to buy tickets for a Pearl Jam concert and talking to a die hard Guns N' Roses fan that this was to be the year that Chinese Democracy would finally be released.

That was 8 years ago in 1998.

:laugh:

Zootlesque said:
Wow LMPA, that's quite an avatar you got there! :dizzy:
Indeed

WTF_Larry_Bored.gif

Back
Top Bottom