Axl Rose breaks his silence: Chinese Democracy out in 2006?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Girl1978 said:

This quote right here bugs me for some reason. :|

He always wanted everyone to know how great Slash was?? I'm sure people figured it out doooooood.

Why does it bug me? arghhh :huh:

Maybe because Axl was a control freak and didn't give them creative lisence, or maybe it was that he was always talking about the band (behind their back/behind-their-back-to-their-face) regarding their substance issues and saying 'I'll dissolve the band ... but it'll be their fault'.

The animosity between the former members was not just a one-sided deal, and not unfounded. Axl was right: Duff, Slash, et al did have drug/alcohol problems that they needed to deal with; but maybe it was because (it seems to me, anyway) he treated them like resources, or business associates, and not like friends or people he cared for at all that caused a rift between them. It seems to me that he acted like he was just using them to get what he wanted, and didn't care a bit about the people behind the talent - I mean, he even went so far as to replace the band but kept the same name rather than just going on as 'Axl Rose' or forming a new band or something. Axl alone was not GnR.

What I mean is; what's going to help someone and show that you actually care? 'guys, you have a problem, don't do this to yourselves, you need to get help', or 'hey fans, the band is going to break up and you can blame them for being drunks'? Not exactly a pillar of empathy and sensitivity. Whether it was tough-love or what, to go 10 years without talking to people and blaming them for something they clearly had no control over? Then to turn it around and say 'yeah, I mean, they were talented' doesn't really change what he contributed to the seperation of GnR. He was no angel himself, missing shows, avoiding all out-of-venue contact with the band, etc; he made himself really easy to hate.

axl has been in his brian wilson phase for quite awhile now (though he seems to be taking fashion cues from lil' jon). it'll be at least another 15 years before this one sees the light of day.

it's not out yet, probably because it's not very good.
read what he said, 32 songs. 13 for the album.

that sounds like a dearth of average material, trying to meet an expectation so high that it could never be met.

he's scared, he waited too long, the material is probably not THAT good to justify the wait and he's afraid to turn loose of it.

when he finally decides to put it out, I'd think most fans will cut him a break and won't expect vintage '91 GnR.

The songs on the MVA's and on the End of Days soundtrack were complete shit though.

Really, when I was in high school you couldn't get more "cool" than GnR, but 15 years later, besides being intrigued, who else really thinks it would be even close to being good? I am interested just to see what happens. A good album would be a bonus.

If it sounds like Queen then that can't be good thing..I'm still intrigued though, to hear what he has been up to all this time.

I remember 7th grade :cute:

We were all G'n'R-:rockon:

Ahhh, the memories.....

<- finds his Use Your Illusion albums, dusts them and gets nostalgic :sad:

Last edited:

I know it's hard to keep an open heart
When even friends seem out to harm you
But if you could heal a broken heart
Wouldn't time be out to charm you

:heart:
Woaaahh Ohhh Ohhhh
*guitar* :rockon: :combust:

nbcrusader said:

What?!? who is he kidding?

I think we might need to check our U2 pride or any other pride at the door. Like it or not this album is and will be one of if not the most anticipated album of all time. Name one that has even compared to the amount of hype when considering there has been no news regarding this album for basically 10 years. All the hype thus far surrounds nothing more than a rumored album. Imagine the hype once an official release date is announced.

Originally posted by U2DMfan
The songs on the MVA's and on the End of Days soundtrack were complete shit though.

I agree that Oh My God off of End of Days was terrible but in my opinion Madagascar(song performed at 2002 MVA's) is a great song. Can't wait to hear a studio version of it.

It will be interesting how many musicians will be in the credits...

Over a decade of recording and a dozen line up changes, should be interesting...

Hallucination said:

I think we might need to check our U2 pride or any other pride at the door. Like it or not this album is and will be one of if not the most anticipated album of all time. Name one that has even compared to the amount of hype when considering there has been no news regarding this album for basically 10 years. All the hype thus far surrounds nothing more than a rumored album. Imagine the hype once an official release date is announced.

I agree that Oh My God off of End of Days was terrible but in my opinion Madagascar(song performed at 2002 MVA's) is a great song. Can't wait to hear a studio version of it.

The hype for Chinese Democracy is almost enigmatic, I doubt there are many people expecting much from it. It's almost like the hype of Michael Jacksons follow up to Black and White, people were curious, but it hardly had the 'heat' of anticipation of many other releases. Too much time in between and too much apathy.

A stark difference to the hype surrounding many releases of the last 20 years which in large part were follow-ups to great debut albums etc. I can't remember a bigger anticipation than the 2nd Pearl Jam album, which consequently sold more copies than any album, in history, in it's first week, and that record stood until one of those boy bands broke it 5 or 6 years later. How about In Utero which was very very much anticipated, Kid A?? There are a ton. Most of which have the sales to back up the anticipation (hype). I doubt Chinese Democracy would do drastically better than Scott Stapp's 'highly anticipated' solo album.

Also Alanis Morrisette's follow up to Jagged Little Pill, which took about 4 years, was very anticipated although I personally couldn't have cared less. There are several others of course...

Maybe if GnR still had some 'fire' and this was 98/99 and there was still a chance that it might have some impact. It's 2006. You gotta be real. Nobody but the GnR diehards really 'care', the rest are curious. Like I said, 6, 7, 8 years ago, different story. Most of the old GnR stand-by's I know realize that this bird has flown and are over it.

Toss in anything other than one original member of GnR, and you may have some 'heat', especially if it were Slash. Essentially, this is a Axl Rose solo album, which has been belaboured itself, there aren't that many people left to care as you'd think, honestly.

It's been 15 years. 15 fucking years.

Our favorite sloths U2 have recorded and released 6 albums since the last GNR album.

What happened with that long awaited Stone Roses album in 1994? Flop.

A 20 year old fan who had a boner for Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 is now 35, probably 37 before CD comes out.

It would have to be the greatest album ever recorded to have ANY kind of impact. And W. Axl Rose just isn't that talented w/o the rest of the band.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
W. Axl Rose just isn't that talented w/o the rest of the band.

...IMHO opinion all he would need is Slash. And mayyyybe Duff.

But the guy is talented. I can't wait to hear what he came up with. The guy is such a perfectionist and it almost seems like he'll never come up with anything that he deems worth realeasing and that is what makes it more intriguing.

Can't wait.

MrBrau1 said:
It's been 15 years. 15 fucking years.

Our favorite sloths U2 have recorded and released 6 albums since the last GNR album.

What happened with that long awaited Stone Roses album in 1994? Flop.

A 20 year old fan who had a boner for Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 is now 35, probably 37 before CD comes out.

It would have to be the greatest album ever recorded to have ANY kind of impact. And W. Axl Rose just isn't that talented w/o the rest of the band.

I agree with all of that.

And I was drunk last night and going out of my way to be nice, or I would have said it my self

Nobody gives a fuck about GnR anymore.

Perhaps none gives a fuck about Axl solo album , which Chinese Democracy will be ,but I assure you that if Axl had two more original members it would be different story.Guns were bigger than any band in their prime with tons of fans.But in music and in sport comebacks are very hard.

I was reading about this whole 'Chinese Democracy' thing in an old issue of......'Q' Magazine.....the other week and it just sounds almost as shambolic as Axl Rose himself. I'm surprised he thinks people still care...

Some people make some good points about people not careing but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I know which way I'm leaning and I'm bettting most of you will have to eat your words when the album comes out. I'm under the impression that if and when an official release date is announced for an album with the Guns N' Roses name attatched to it, there will be a shit load of people who are interested in hearing it. Everything though will hinge on the lead off single. I know where I live there is still a huge interest in Guns N' Roses. Their Greatets Hits which was relased in March 2004 is still in the top 30 at the HMV in Red Deer. People still care. At least here they do.

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
Dear Axl,

No one cares.

Regards,
GnR fans (former and present)

Seriously... how long has Chinese Democracy been in the works? Even the album title, which I'm pretty sure was announced years ago, is already tired and featureless like Axl's post-facelift face. Enough is enough. :shrug:

:yes:

"Chinese Democracy soon"

VELVET REVOLVER star Slash has confirmed the new Guns N' Roses album will be released this spring.

Speaking on Virgin Radio yesterday, the guitarist revealed that after months of speculation Chinese Democracy will finally hit the shops in March.

Although no longer in Axl Rose's band, Slash said: “I’m really excited. Its been a long time waiting to see what the next step around the corner was going to be.

“Its coming out in March and apparently it sounds great.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2004580002-2006060837,00.html

This is interesting seeing as its coming from Slash!

From the New York Post "Page Six" gossip column:

MUSICAL BRIBE

STEREO nightclub owners Barry Mullineaux and Mike Satsky were closing up their Chelsea hotspot at 5:30 a.m. the other morning when they encountered elusive Guns 'N' Roses frontman Axl Rose at the front door. The braided rocker was with bandmates and a bevy of beauties wanting to keep his 44th birthday bash going. Rose was so eager to get inside the club that he offered the owners a little bribe - an exclusive listening party for his yet-to-be released album, "Chinese Democracy." Axl dispatched his driver to retrieve the unreleased CD and the owners proceeded to play host, bartender and DJ to the posse till 8 a.m.

There's no way though that this album comes out in March. There hasn't been a single yet, there hasn't been any promo yet. I can't see it coming out in March, no way! Too much money has been invested by the label not to promote the hell out of this if it does eventually come out

Last edited:
Hallucination said:
From the New York Post "Page Six" gossip column:

MUSICAL BRIBE

STEREO nightclub owners Barry Mullineaux and Mike Satsky were closing up their Chelsea hotspot at 5:30 a.m. the other morning when they encountered elusive Guns 'N' Roses frontman Axl Rose at the front door. The braided rocker was with bandmates and a bevy of beauties wanting to keep his 44th birthday bash going. Rose was so eager to get inside the club that he offered the owners a little bribe - an exclusive listening party for his yet-to-be released album, "Chinese Democracy." Axl dispatched his driver to retrieve the unreleased CD and the owners proceeded to play host, bartender and DJ to the posse till 8 a.m.

There's no way though that this album comes out in March. There hasn't been a single yet, there hasn't been any promo yet. I can't see it coming out in March, no way! Too much money has been invested by the label not to promote the hell out of this if it does eventually come out

Wish I could've been there...

Considering the music biz as it is right now, I am amazed he has been able to work on this album for a decade and it hasn't leaked.

I mean you can find 'Madagascar' on Kazaa - but that's it. So if anything, Axl has a lesson for the biz - how to keep it all under wraps.

Anyhow - I agree he needs a huge single to launch the project. Basically he needs a new 'November Rain' - something epic, complex and just... wow. Does he have that? Dunno.

Either way - his record label is still making money off the GNR back catalogue (I think Billboard reported 'Appetitie' sold around 800,000 copies last year) so they may in fact not be so eager for a middle of the road project to come out and damage the franchise they've built up around GNR.

Actually scrap that 'leaked' comment - a further search yields 8 or so songs. I shall download and listen.

Back
Top Bottom