Avril Lavigne Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
I am going to see her perform live at the John Labatt Centre tonight. :yes: I will tell you all how it was when I get back :wink:

Enjoy:)

I saw/heard a new film clip of hers on Saturday morning. I like her even more now.

OK, so I fell for for it.
I thought he was really going.
I sure would go to one of her shows.
I'd probably whistle and all:)

dear melon, shes SOOO against the system! i love her anarchistic views!!

rock on girl!!! your so not a corporate product!! down with healthcare!! rock on!!!!

I'm back now y'all; i'm working on a full review. gickies can go stick his weirdass music up his craw. avril all the way baby!

Lavigne, Avril, live at the John Labatt Centre, London, Ontario, April, 13, 2003

B.A. (before Avril)

I've seen Swollen Members before and they are sweet. So even though I came late and only saw two of their songs, they are awesome. I wasn't sure if their act would translate into an arena, but it was sweet. Lots of energy, and the 3 (or maybe there were 4 I can't really remember) MCs handled the stage and the crowd very well. All you hiphophaters can get stuffed.

Next came Gob. Good idea to have some real punk music right before Avril's "punk" music. Compare and Contrast if you will. Gob puts on a pretty good show, the sound quality wasn't the greatest, but I enjoyed their harmonies and wailing and flailing and belting. The guitarist dude had some schtick that kinda got old, but meh. The best musical moment of their show was their cover of Paint it Black. Sorry, but this is better than U2's version. harcore yo. The best moment of any type was when he introduced a song by saying (paraphrased): "this is our new single, and that's a good thing because one more Gob song on the radio means one less ***** song on the radio". I was cheering so hard I don't know how the rest of the audience reacted.

Which reminds me. The crowd was predominantly made up of 11 year old girls dressed up as Avril Lavigne and their mothers. The music on the PA in between acts was one of the highpoints of the night.. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, London Calling, and a lot of songs I really like but couldn't name. If Avril picked these, then credit is due her.

And now we move on to the juicy bits. Yes Avril arrives on stage in a blare of light, poised in her copyright fingers raised i love rock'n'roll poise. She played for like an hour. I dunno if she played all the stuff off her album, cause I haven't heard it. Like her, love her, hate her, or despise her. Here are some points to remember:

-The lighting was really, really cool. And it matched the song. The bigger the song, the bigger the lighting. Good thinking mates. They used some screens to show either her, or crazy psychedelic stuff.. similar level of visuals as elevation. so it compliments the music but doesn't overpower it.
-Avril can really sing live. I didn't see the grammys or anything, I just heard a lot of people saying she was shit live.. well either practise makes perfect or she was just having an off day before because she was belting it out and hitting notes. she even played a few chords on a guitar. Her stage presence was decent. Nothing to write home about, but not too shabby for a newb.
-the guitarist guy almost stole the show. Sang lots of harmony and really knew what he was doing. Watch for him to have a solo career or something. It will give the 11 year old girls someone to fawn over if they don't want to be lesbians. For the first song of the encore Avril played a little acoustic number on her guitar. guitarist guy was playing too, I'm not sure if I heard 2 guitar parts. hmmm.
-an older looking balding grey haired gentleman in the mixing desk area was rocking out a lot. it was kinda cute.
-she brought 2 people on stage during complicated and they just stood there until a couple times she held out the mic to them so we could hear them singing along. it was kinda pointless, but a good experience for the 2 who got chosen. maybe she does it to reinforce upon us that her voice is actually not crap.

overall it was really well done, well performed etc. Whether you like her music or not is up to you. I personally think she writes pretty good midtempo pop/rock numbers with generally bad lyrics. of course she's overhyped. BUT. i liked that the show was designed to showcase the music, not breasts or thighs or dancing or lighting, or even mirrorball lemons (which btw are still the coolest thing in the world). So while she's far from punk, and certainly not a songwriting genius, it's nice that all these 11 year old girls are getting the message that music is what is important. i guess or something.

i brought my girlfriend, who really likes Avril because she has catchy songs, and don't worry she doesn't think she's punk. for the record we got in for free and it was definately not a waste of a night. i was just talking to her online and i thought i'd share.

[23:30] My associate in Berlin says: i'm writing a review of the show for the u2 fans :p
[23:31] Melissa: they're going to castrate you over the internet
[23:31] My associate in Berlin says: lol
[23:31] Melissa: good luck

The problem is ... she doesn't write her songs.. the songwriting team called the Matrix does. She maybe wrote two songs on that album.

dude there's no way you can convince me a songwriting team came up with some of those lyrics

SkeeK said:
dude there's no way you can convince me a songwriting team came up with some of those lyrics

Well.. according to every article I've ever read about her - the journalist never fails to mention her songwriting team. Songwriting teams get paid beaucoup bucks to sit down with the entertainer and get inside their head, and then, once they get a feel for the person's personality, they write the lyrics.. same with Max Martin who writes all the lyrics for Britney and the Backstreet Boys... :shrug: I dunno.. you could always check Avril's liner notes if you want to be sure.

Skeek.. just to clarify.. I'm not ragging on you at all for going. I just am responding to the "Avril songwriting" comments... :)

Last edited:
but i want people to rag! I want to create controversy! humph.

:sexywink:

SkeeK said:
but i want people to rag! I want to create controversy! humph.

:sexywink:

Aww.. I can't rag on you, man. If she came to my town, I'd go too. I am all for entertainment. There's too much ragging on people around this place for no good reason. I'm glad you had a good time :wave:

i'll haeyou know monsieur brettig that i found out my girl was going, as did she, an hour before the concert. i was gonna go regardless!

punkrocklives!!

Gickies Gageeze said:
dear melon, shes SOOO against the system! i love her anarchistic views!!

rock on girl!!! your so not a corporate product!! down with healthcare!! rock on!!!!

:lmao:

Back
Top Bottom