Automatic for the People

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
I have been listing to R.E.M.'s Automatic for the People today a lot, and, really, I'm just remembering how amazing of an album it truly end. It really is the perfect American album.

Does anyone else love this album, as well?

Nothing with Ignoreland on it could be "perfect".

An unfortunate blemish on an otherwise great album.

Actual perfect American albums:

Countdown to Ecstasy or Aja by Steely Dan
Highway 61 Revisited by Bob Dylan

off the top of my head.

This album is just perfect, its fluence is perfect. Their best.
Now I'm getting more into Monster, an album I ignored and didn't like much in the past, but I'm loving it now.

lazarus said:
Nothing with Ignoreland on it could be "perfect".

An unfortunate blemish on an otherwise great album.

I don't think I've ever made it all the way through to the end of that song before. Could have been called Annoyland.

But it's a great, great record.

I don't care for the instrumental or Star Me Kitten, other than that it's close to perfect...

And I actually like Ignoreland. :reject:

Over rated in my opinion, some of the songs don't really have much staying power. Indeed MOTM and EH might have been played to death, but even Monty, Nightswimming and Drive fail to really excite me.

I want to like it more than I do, but like The Bends, it was only really appealing as an album for me after my first half a dozen or so listens.

Sweetness Follows, Sidewinder and Try Not To Breathe are class.

Much prefer Out Of Time (except for Radio Song), New Adventures and Reveal.

Pleasant enough, I suppose. A little bland, at times, for my taste, but by no means anything like a bad record. They've recorded more than a handful of those, no doubt, but this wasn't one of them by any stretch.

great album
not really one of my favourites but great nonetheless :up:

Ignoreland feels a little out of place
but also prevents the album to become too 'soft'
or something

I got this album for Christmas the year I was 14 and got my first CD player. I've loved it ever since. Find the River has especially grown on me over the last few years, but it's an album I'm always going back to, and one of my favorites by R.E.M.

Ignoreland perhaps doesn't fit the folk-rock alternative feel of the album, but its a really entertaining song.

And, Find The River is definitely one of my favorites R.E.M. songs, would have been their best album closer (and their best album) but New Adventures in Hi Fi claims that title for me, with Electrolite.

It's all a matter of personal opinion of course, but AFTP is my favorite R.E.M. album ever. And honestly the only album of theirs that I can listen to all the way through.

Find the River :drool:

Great album. Has a dip in the middle for me though. I could have done without the following 2:Star Me Kitten and New Orleans

Every once in a while I'll put this on and really love it. Especially the second side.

However, it doesn't come close to cracking my top 3 REM albums, that would be

3. New Adventures in Hi-Fi
2. Out of time
and
1. Up

Pure brilliance across the board on those.

Was listening to Document today, it truly is amazing. How about these unheralded songs.

Fireplace
Disturbance At The Heron House
King Of Birds

Cracking album

I think the triple shot of Automatic, Monster and New Adventures is just a really, really strong string of albums and great songs.

Green is their most under-rated I think, because it really came after the underground obsession/alternative pioneering IRS years, but before their huge period of popularity. But it features some great lyrics and beautiful songs. "World Leader Pretend", "You Are The Everything" being my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom