Australias favourite album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy1973

Refugee
Far away...this ship is taking me far away
ABC TV here in australia have been holding an online poll here for the past couple of months to decide Australias' Favourite Album. The results were released last night...what do you think?

1. Pink Floyd — Dark Side Of The Moon
2. Jeff Buckley — Grace
3. Radiohead — Ok Computer
4. The Beatles — Abbey Road
5. The Beatles — Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
6. Nirvana — Nevermind
7. Led Zeppelin — Led Zeppelin 4
8. Red Hot Chili Peppers — Blood Sugar Sex Magik
9. Meat Loaf — Bat Out Of Hell
10. U2 — The Joshua Tree

I was really expecting The Joshua Tree to come in higher, probably in the top 5. Not that I helped, as I voted for Achtung Baby :)
Was happy to see Jeff Buckley right up there though!

yertle-the-turtle said:
Meh I don't like Pink Floyd. Bit of a lame list.

There are many great Australian artists out there, how come none of them get represented.

It's a shit-tacular list; typical of JJJ and the ABC. There's some gross tunnel vision in the music they're all about - like anyone, I spose, but this (except for Meatloaf) is representative of their target audience.

Nevermind at number 6! Australia does have a good taste in music afterall!

Rochelle D said:

why is there no aussie bands eg: INXS, Midnight Oil, Australian Crawl

The highest position an Aussie artist made it to was number 23 - Midnight Oil 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1!!
INXS only made it in at 74 with Kick - I can't believe how low that came!
We aren't a very patriotic lot apparently!

There seemed to be a few recently released albums that finished ahead over the top of some "Classic" or "Great" albums off the past (I think Achtung Baby Falls under that category)

I think the top 10 is great however, I've not listened to a Led Zeppelin album (Yet!?, plan on discovering them this week), And I'm not really that big on the Chilli Peppers.

And Nirvana is muchly overrated, it makes you wonder if they'd have been there if they were still around these days, maybe (at least I doubt in the Top 10)

Last edited:
What a thoroughly appalling, tasteless list. I'm also baffled by the absence of Midnight Oil, given their huge reputation here.

I'm just thankful Kylie didn't end up on the list. That would be just typical of some of the drones here.

I did enjoy this little project. I personally voted for the Stone Roses self-titled and we came in at 30-something which I thought was reasonable.

As preposterous as it might be that Anthony Callea came in at 32 and Goodrem came in at 80-something and Missy Higgins came in at 20-odd, I actually think that this countdown had credibility in the sense that the list appears to have not been fabricated and it has been purely derived from the votes cast. (Unlike triple m's top 2006 countdown or whatever, which was blatantly rigged.)

Was quite dismayed to see Buckley and Meatloaf up so high though, and Abbey Road is noweher near the class of Revolver, White, Pepper and Hard Days Night in my personal opinion.

Also, don't agree with Dicko's idiotic claim that The Joshua Tree dies off after the opening three tracks.

That said, it was a bit of fun....and good to see music getting some attention in a world in which movies are despicably hailed as a more artisitic and appealing medium.

Axver said:
What a thoroughly appalling, tasteless list.

Aye, The Beatles, Floyd, U2, Zeppelin, all incredibly tasteless. :rolleyes:

I said it was predictable, but still...

Edited so as not to get banned. :der:

What a thoroughly appalling, tasteless list.

Yeah, it's shocking.

At least there isn't any Missy Higgins or Pete Murray. I mean, most of the choices on that top 10 list are boring (or at least predictable) as hell, but it could have been worse.

I'm not terribly surprised by Floyd topping... I hate them, but just about everyone I know likes them, even youths and such.

^ I was searching for a Aussie music thread and i could not find one ( I mean there may have been one....but i have not got all day sifting tonnes of threads!) and i came across this one....and it has left me completely baffled.

mandy1973 said:
ABC TV here in australia have been holding an online poll here for the past couple of months to decide Australias' Favourite Album. The results were released last night...what do you think?

1. Pink Floyd — Dark Side Of The Moon
2. Jeff Buckley — Grace
3. Radiohead — Ok Computer
4. The Beatles — Abbey Road
5. The Beatles — Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
6. Nirvana — Nevermind
7. Led Zeppelin — Led Zeppelin 4
8. Red Hot Chili Peppers — Blood Sugar Sex Magik
9. Meat Loaf — Bat Out Of Hell
10. U2 — The Joshua Tree

I was really expecting The Joshua Tree to come in higher, probably in the top 5. Not that I helped, as I voted for Achtung Baby :)
Was happy to see Jeff Buckley right up there though!

yay jeff B:drool:

not a bad list really , i thought Cold chisel would have to be in there somewhere though !!!!!!

And INXS and Midnight oil and paul kelly and The Angels, Hunters and collectors and aussie crawl , crowded house

hang on this list sucks !!!!!! :mad:

AC/DC BACK IN BLACK . where is it ?????

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom